Status: 10 chapters

Can't Love a Werewolf, Without Getting Fleas.

Chapter 27.

BLAKE’S POV:

I watched. I saw him. Sitting outside her window. Pathetic.

“You should have let me talk to him.” I growled at Brooke.

“Like that would have gone well. You two would have ended up trying to rip each other’s throats out.” She had a point.

Stupid. I was so stupid. I hung my head in my hands. “I can’t believe that happened, I don’t know what got into me. I shouldn’t have gotten drunk.”

Brooke soothingly rubbed my back. “We like to party; it’s what we do.”

I snapped at her. She jumped back. “It’s not what Shaylee does, and I respect her for that!” I yelled.

“I was just so stressed out with trying to keep Colton away from her. And trying to impress her, and think about every single thing I do so she will like me.”

Brooke’s face turned to remorse; pity. “Blake are you sure she’s the one?”

My eyes flashed red and I held back the urge to attack her. “Of course she’s the one; she’s always been the one. I need her to survive. It’s killing me, it is.” I tried to joke.

Brooke’s eyes started to water. “If it doesn’t work out…I…I.”

“Hey.” I paused, wiping her tears away. “Don’t think like that.” I smiled slightly at her.

She got up and hugged me. “I love you big brother. Just don’t get hurt.”

“Cross my heart and hope to die.” I made the motion of crossing my heart and chuckled.

She pouted. “That doesn’t count! You’re already dead!”

We both cackled into laughter, something nice; something easy and free like our childhood. But I’d take it. I’d take a moment like this any day. Because it distracted me from the serious problem, the two serious problems.

Shaylee and Colton.

She couldn’t be his; I wouldn’t think of it.

I’d stop it. No matter what.

*

SHAYLEE’S POV:

I yawned awake and checked the alarm. 10:05 AM.

I smiled to myself, remembering last night. Remembering Colton, the way he kissed, the way his skin felt. Just thinking about it made my body shake and quake.

But he was like a drug, something strong and irresistible. One hit, and I was a goner. I couldn’t sober up even if I had the right mind to. I wanted more of him. Now. Selfishness was never a strong trait of mine, but for some reason I felt that didn’t matter. Colton was changing something inside of me. Something buried, but still there.

I liked it. And after reading tons of romance novels and watching Dr. Phil I could only come to one conclusion: it was simply not healthy for me.

Girl falls hopelessly, boy takes to the attention, girl gets wayyy too attached, boy learns he hates clingy girls, boy leaves girl, girl ends up broken hearted.

Like a sick recipe of heartbreak.

And with that in mind, I got up to shower.

Once I got out, I heard a faint beeping noise covered somewhere in my bed. I searched through the blankets and found my phone.

1 New Text Message.

Hello sleeping beauty. I hope you slept well, and stayed warm ;) I miss you already. And I would happily come pick you up and take you out on another treehouse date, but I need you to instead, go check your mailbox for a surprise! And I mean that in the utmost uncorniest way.

Sincerely

~Colton S.

I grinned despite my heartbreak recipe, and texted back. I mean come on, in order to prepare myself for future heartbreaks, I’ve got to get through the first one. I can’t avoid it, it’s inevitable for proper teenage

How’d you get my number? Stalking already? I thought that was only allowed after the third date?

I got dressed quickly, wondering what exactly was in my mailbox, but not so that I was eager enough to run like a giddy schoolgirl to the front of my driveway.

As I came down the stairs I peeked to see if my parents had brought in any mail. They didn’t, which left breathing room for me.

“Shaylee! Sweetie! You’re awake. Would you like breakfast? I’ll make you whatever you want!” The guilt trip. My mom was willing to comply with my every food craving need in order to try to block out my horrible hotel room experience. She did this every time when something bad happened to me. My first bad grade in middle school on an algebra test—brownies. When I broke my arm from falling out of a tree in central park—mac and cheese for a week. When Lucy fell off her bike and started crying a few months ago, my mom packed lollipops in her lunchbox for the rest of the school year before we moved. My family always did this, but I didn’t complain. It helped them sleep at night, so why should I?

“Whatever you made for dad.” I motioned at the sausage and egg that filled his plate.

“You sure?” She smiled kind of worriedly at me. “Yes mom, I doubt eating eggs is going to make me re-live last night’s experience.” I joked.

“Yes well your dad and I are going over to the Cunningham’s today to talk to them about—.”

“No. Mom. It’s fine, no need to make a scene, I’ll talk to Blake about it later, ok?”

“Well, you can’t expect me to say nothing when he comes over here next.” My dad grumbled, and I bit back my laughter.

“Alright, I guess that’s fair.” I smiled.

“I’m gonna go get the mail.” I excused myself out the door. Anticipation filled me as my feet hit the cool pavement. It grew colder and colder every day here.

I opened the cold metal mailbox slowly.

Paint.

Really expensive, good paint.

But why would he…?

My wolf! I had almost forgotten over the excitement of yesterday. The art show was tomorrow.

As if Colton were reading my thoughts, my phone buzzed in my back pocket. I pulled it out and grinned to myself. He was so thoughtful sometimes, I didn’t even understand it.

But he believed in me, truly he did. Which was more than anyone else ever has.

Considering how long I’ve known you, this has to be our 200th date, and if you must know, Leslie and Violet managed to slip it to me, hope you don’t mine. :)

I bit my lip to keep from smiling any bigger, knowing how giddy I was acting but choosing to ignore it, and replied to the text.

Haha, that’s true we spent every day with one another. And figured they would. And no way could I mind, not after you gave me these awesome colors! Your amazing you know that? You just are. This was so thoughtful. Thank you! XD

Anything for you. He replied, and my stomach swarmed with butterflies.

I grabbed a few stray pieces of paper in the mailbox and closed it.

I gave my parents the other pieces of paper while I hid the paint behind my back. When I got upstairs, I couldn’t wait to open it and get started.

From there, I worked. I couldn’t stop smiling the whole time, because for once, someone else seemed to understand my passion for painting as much as I did. It was an indescribable feeling. Like I was swept off my feet, and from here it looked like I was never going to stand back on the ground. I was just too lost, completely enveloped in Colton’s world.

I finally finished around four o’clock. Colton had told me he wasn’t texting me until I finished, which was sweet in a way.

I finished! I said, gazing up at my wolf. It looked so real; it almost made my heart pang. There was a place, a crevice in my heart that always kept my wolf at large. Always kept it as a reminder.

That’s why I wanted to draw him. He was beyond beautiful, and I guess…I guess I just wanted other people to see him how I saw him; majestic and smart and beautiful. So beautiful. It was like you could reach out and touch him. See the pain in his brown eyes, see the longing almost like he was a human stuck in a wolf’s body or something, even though that sounded completely irrational and unlikely. It was how to me, my wolf must feel like, and if I wanted to draw him accurately, I had to think like him; be him almost. But either way, I got lost in the wolf’s thought, and it seemed to do me well, as this piece was the best piece I have ever drawn.

Yessss! I’m so excited for you! I can’t wait to see it. I rubbed my shoulder a little nervously. He was going to see it? I knew strangers were, and somehow that didn’t bother me as much as him seeing it. Learning his opinion of it was definitely more intimidating and important. I just couldn’t explain to you how much I just wanted him to like it.

So…you’re completely done then? Nothing else to do today? He added.

I thought about it. Nope. Just me, myself, and this painting. Lol. Why?

I waited for his reply.

Good. I’m taking you out. Think of it as a ‘good-luck dinner’ ;)

I laughed. When and where? I shook my head at myself, smiling like a fool. I seriously was acting like some giddy school girl. But I guess this is how all girls get with their first true crush.

At six I’ll pick you up, and it’s a surprise.

I contemplated what I was going to where, before answering back. Sounds good :) See you then!

I ran down the steps and told my parents I was going over to a friends for dinner, not knowing how anti- boy they were due to my heartbreaking news about yesterday. Then I quickly took a shower and slipped on a nice black skirt with a gray v-neck and black flats, before clipping my hair back and scrunching it to become wavy.

The doorbell rang and I about jumped out of my skin, exhilaration coursing through my veins. I couldn’t help but double check on how I looked.

Acceptable. Was what came to mind, but it would have to do. I couldn’t work magic on my face like Violet and Leslie.

“Alright, that’s probably her. I’ll call you guys when I’m on my way home?” I asked, knowing my parents were in the family room watching some romantic comedy with my little sister. My dad was a sucker for those things, it was quite funny.

“Alright sweetie. Have fun with that girl. I want you two talking about girl power and how boys have cooties, ok?” My mom yelled back, and I could hear my little sister start to laugh.

Spaghetti was cooking in the kitchen, making my appetite spike.

“Will do. Love you guys, bye!” I said, opening the door and stepping out. I couldn’t wait to get back on Colton’s bike, last time was such a rush and—.

“Lees?” I gulped.

“Can we talk?” Blake stood in front of me, his hair disheveled and his eyes glazed and unfocused.

My breath shook in my throat a little, not really wanting to talk to him, or relive yesterday night’s sequence of events. At least, that part of the night.

“Sure.” I smiled, but it was forced and fake.

Before I knew it I was following Blake across the lawn, back to his house. Not knowing exactly what he wanted to talk about.

“I know you have no right to forgive me, and I don’t expect you to but I want to give my most sincere apology anyways. Please, just try to understand I wasn’t in my right mind. And I should have protected you from slimes like Jason.”

I shrugged, trying to keep my eyes from watering. I didn’t want to remember Jason. Denial was strong in my brain.

“I didn’t know he was like that, honest. But it won’t happen again. I promise you, scout’s honor, that I will never leave your side again.” Blake reached out to grab my hand. I couldn’t think of it as an affectionate act. Not coming from Blake.

“Well you weren’t there. Colton was. He always is, even when we were little. And he doesn’t yell at me, and he’s really nice.”

His blue eyes turned to ice and he studied me. I shifted uncomfortably under his gaze.

“Did you kiss him?”

I stared into his eyes. Sure I knew it would break his heart. But I couldn’t lie. I wasn’t the kind of girl who ever did. “Yes, but I didn’t mean for it to happen, it just did. And I’m so sorry.”

Unexpectedly, Blake’s grip on my hand tightened. I yelped in pain, but he let go. He fell back whispering ‘no’

“Blake?” I asked as he began to shake on the floor, his forehead glinting with sweat. Almost as if he was sick and the infection was taking control of his body. He was probably shaking as much as me in the treehouse—maybe more.

“Get. Out. Of. Here.” He breathed through his teeth.

“Blake?” I repeated, taking a step towards him. He jerked violently. “Blake you’re scaring me!” Sure I didn’t like him romantically, not really. But he was a good friend of mine, and I cared about him. Then he continued to curl into a ball and shudder more, so much so that he was hopping off of the ground. I wanted to help; to do something. I reached my arm out to touch him to try to seize his shaking.

Before I knew it, he had shot up off the floor in the blink of an eye. He grabbed my arm and slung me. I cried out as I flew into the bookcase in their living room. The wood cracked underneath me as books fell on top of me. I whimpered as they hit my body, hard.

He had me cornered, his eyes red and blazing in two seconds flat. He seemed almost like something else, something strong and scary and unreal. Was he just psychotic? Or did he have temper problems like those people with border-line personality disorder?

“You ungrateful slut. You kissed him. YOU KISSED HIM!” I flinched at his words. How could he be so cruel? It was one time, not like we had sex.

I blushed at even the thought.

But suddenly his red eyes flashed blue, just as he got near me. “Go. Shaylee, listen to me. Run.” I paused, staring at him…oh my god. Was he bi-polar? What the heck is going on?!?

“RUN!” He repeated once again, and I didn’t need a third conformation, I took off towards the front door. Soon after, a loud roar rippled off the walls of the Cunningham mansion. I felt my heart rate accelerate, as I didn’t exactly know where their front door was. I could hear crashes behind me, and loud footsteps running after me.

“Please, Blake. I’m sorry, j-just calm down!” I screamed out of fright.

The doorbell rang and my heart skipped. Thank god! Someone’s here! Maybe they can help me reach Blake. This wasn’t like him. It was like he was sick in the head, but I had a feeling the real Blake was somewhere in there, lost behind the madness.

Before I could reach out to the door handle, something hard rammed me from the side. I screamed as my side withered in pain, and I clenched my eyes together, expecting to collide with another badly placed piece of furniture.

But something caught my arm gently, before I hit the grandfather clock in the study.

Colton?

“We, we’ve got to get out of here, Blake—he’s not right. Something’s wrong.” I cried as he led me hurriedly into a different room. I grasped onto Colton like if I clutched him tight enough, everything would just vanish and it would be him and me in the treehouse again.

His eyes searched my face, drenched with worry and then his face contorted into anger. He looked like he was about to say something but a creaking floorboard made him turn around, placing me directly behind him.

Blake stood there, chest heaving, eyes like fire and body still shaking.

A low sort of rumble stirred in Colton’s chest, and I could feel it as my hand rested on his back.

“You.” Blake hissed out dangerously at Colton. “You’re the reason I’m like this! You took her from me!” He shouted and the room shook as I put my hands over my ears.

I was shaking with fear and worry for Blake, and Colton.

“Don’t make me do this.” Colton whispered to him.

“I know you care about Shaylee, I do. But don’t make me do this. Don’t scare her anymore than she already is Blake. You’ve scarred her for life, do you really think she’s going to want you back after this?” Colton’s voice was calm, even. Something reassuring after all this yelling.

Blakes eyes flashed—blue, then red, then blue, then red. His blue eyes looked tired, beaten when his red eyes looked hungry, livid.

Colton then stood, tilting his head to the side as if staring at some crazy piece of abstract art in a museum.

But Colton stifled, as Blake’s eyes stayed red. “Shaylee?” Colton’s voice almost cracked, but with what? Worry maybe?

“Are you bleeding?” He asked carefully.

Was I? I glanced down at my arm, dripping lightly with blood. “Yeah, but why does tha—?”

Blake started running at us, and Colton shook like an earthquake; his chest heaving and muscles flexing.

In no amount of time, something blurred from the left side of my vision and then Brooke was there.

She was in between Blake and Colton and I. Blake looked really scary, his eyes dilating and his jaw clenching, mouth snapping like he wanted to bite something. It looked like it was borrowed straight out of a horror movie. I screamed as I stared at him, but Colton shifted to block my view.

“What’s wrong with him? What happened to him?!!” I yelled, he was sick, and it looked like he had rabies or some other animalistic disease.

“BLAKE!” Brooke shouted, the sound just as loud as her brothers, it dripped with warning and authority. Like a father would say to a son.

“Colton, take her out of here.” She ordered.

When he didn’t move, she spoke again. “I can handle my brother, but please get Shaylee out of here.”

Why are they acting like I’m an object? Why isn’t she directing her conversation to me, or even looking at me? I’m here! I can speak you know!

Colton gingerly grabbed my hand and led me out so that I was in front of him; in a way he did it so he was positioned between Blake and I.

The door shut to the Cunningham’s house and it was eerily silent…. normal. Birds chirped in the distance, and the smell of freshly cut lawn filled my nose. The air was light, and it was sunny. Happy. Safe. Not scary. Not the Cunningham’s house.

Colton rubbed my back soothingly. “Let’s go.” He breathed as he led me down the steps and toward an unfamiliar dark blue car.

The car ride was somewhat silent, even after multiple attempts from Colton to start a different conversation to steer us away from the incident back there.

He parked his car and sighed heavily. “Come on Shaylee, talk to me.” He pleaded.

I frowned in anguish. “Why won’t you tell me what the heck happened back there??” I asked, mad.

“MAYBE BECAUSE I DON’T KNOW! OK?!?!?” I cringed at his tone, and he lowered it.

“Look, I’m really sorry but I don’t know what’s wrong with Blake, or what that was back there. But hey, I promise that I’ll find out. Ok?” He smiled slightly at me and I nodded, before unbuckling my seatbelt and pouncing from the passengers seat to hug Colton. He smelled heavenly, and incredibly safe. Even in that house with Blake, as soon as I saw Colton I knew that I was ok. That everything was ok. I breathed it in, still trying to calm my nerves, as he chuckled into my hair. He pulled me in tighter and we stayed like that for a minute.

“Gosh, Shaylee. I don’t know what I would have done if he had gotten to you. If something had happened to you, I would never have forgiven myself. You mean the world to me, you know that?”

I nodded shakily as my brain thought the words. Me neither. I don’t know what I would have done if Blake or somebody else had gotten to Colton either. Just the thought made my stomach twist sickly and tears form in my eyes. So I forbade myself to think about it any longer.

“Hey. How about we get dinner?” Colton suggested, wiping a stray tear from my cheek. I laughed at myself, not knowing that I had let a tear fall. We got out of the car and I took a deep breath.

For some reason, I had this gut feeling that this wasn’t over.
♠ ♠ ♠
wrote this baby when i was at the beachh :))
comment! rate! tell yo' amigos!

I GOT A WATTPAD: http://www.wattpad.com/user/HaleyxHardcore
go add me/fan me! :D