Status: Active.

Bursting Red

In ashes they left.

Her eyes shifted towards the darkening sky, watching in a silent sort of pensive stare. The ashes fell down like snow in her open palm, catching flakes of burning paper fragments like a common winter night. “Where has your honor gone?” She said quietly, crushing the pieces of ash in her tightly clenched fist. Tilting her head to the side, she cast a languishing glance at her companion. He wasn’t paying attention. “I don’t know you anymore Deidara-kun.” Tender memories came to mind and she quickly pushed them away. It made it easier to not remember the way he used to be, it made it easier to deal with the new, violent and cruel Deidara she devoted herself to.

“Don’t say that Nezumi. You’re getting used to it, un.” He stated from suddenly over her shoulder. Her head snapped upwards and she stared with a painful numbness into the grey horizon. “This is art, my art. Of all people you should be able to understand.” His breath trailed smoothly down her neck, quickening her own breath. It was an ongoing battle inside her. She loved him, she had from the start but she had truly begun to hate what he had become. His slender fingers wrapped themselves around her wrist and turned her around to face him, his head tilted so she could see both his eyes. Blue orbs penetrating hers with an intensity she couldn’t tell was passion or spite.

“Deidara…” she breathed out, his breath mingling with hers. Even through the smoke ridden air she could smell that wet earth odor that always seemed to make her knees weak. His hands tightened around her thin wrists and his eyes widened. “Please…” From an outside view it would have looked like a romantic moment between two lovers, if that had only been the case, she thought bitterly.

Ashes rained around them, it almost created a sort of gentle and soft atmosphere if it wasn’t for the burning building behind them. “Don’t be scared Nezumi, I won’t ever hurt you.” He brought a hand upwards to brush a single tear from her dirty face. “Why are you crying, un?”

Her hand tore from his and she stumbled backwards, staring at him like she had never seen him before. “I miss the way you were!” She screamed at him with a ragged voice, throwing her hands down in clenched fists. “I hate this! I hate who you’ve become Deidara! What happened to you…” Quietly, she looked at him with upturned eyebrows, tears gathering in the corner of her eyes. Her knees got weak and without hesitation she crumpled in a pile in the grey smothered dirt. Her shoulders ached but that didn’t stop her from shuddering with every regretful sob.

“Why are you doing this again, un?” Deidara sighed and rolled his eyes upward, slinking towards the sobbing girl. “I grew up Nezumi! I can’t be that naïve little boy you once knew forever. You know this.” His voice almost softened and he placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, lowering her head to his level. “I promise you though, we won’t live like this forever. Now come on, un.” He helped her stand up, lightly smiling as she turned her tear streaked face to rest on his shoulder. His arm snaked around her lower back and guided her back to the clay bird that rested in the distance. They needed to leave before people tried to smother the explosion out and spotted them. With a grunt he lifted her up and placed her on the back of the bird, following suit and getting on after she was comfortable. The white bird lifted up into the sky and circled above the burning building below them.

It was all just another job for him, another terrorist for hire job. Nezumi hated it, she hated traveling with him when she knew it would only result in death. He tried relentlessly over and over again to make her understand it was his art and therefore it was beautiful. But she never understood.

Art didn’t kill people. It didn’t burn, it didn’t make people bleed and scream, that wasn’t art. That was absolute chaos. His eyes sought her huddled form as they soared over the village, looking for a place to rest for the night. With dead eyes she looked up at the sky, her dirty face a placid stone. “Nezumi-kun. Tell me what you are thinking, un.” Yet her eyes didn’t stray from the passing by sky. “Please.”

“Deidara-kun, I love you. I love you more than life itself but right now, I can’t stand you. You’re a monster and I know you don’t love me back.”

“How so?” He answered in reply.

“You need a heart to love, something I really don’t think you have.” She said quietly. Her words stung, deep. It was a fact that he did love her, more so than she could ever understand. Honestly, she should have known how he felt by now, even though he hadn’t said it. She was not a fighter, in fact she was mere weight added to his palette. The only reason he hadn’t let her leave yet was because he couldn’t stand to have her away from him.

It spurred from that strange obsession he held over her since the first day he had met her. Even now the first and last thing he could think about was her. It bordered past healthy. He needed her like he needed air. He refused to live without her and really, even if she wanted to leave. He wouldn’t let her.

He loved her more than she could ever grasp.

His hand found hers and she gripped tighter. “You don’t know what you’re talking about Nezumi-kun.” His words were confident and he smiled into the wind. She would come around, he thought, eventually she will.

Nezumi took this moment to close her eyes and think back on when she was younger, when she first met the blonde boy named Deidara. Her mind often went to these memories when she was feeling down, only to remind herself that at one point he was a good person and she genuinely felt for the boy. But now…she couldn’t even place her feelings. She found a sort of twisted comfort in his touch, their hands wrapped around each other like everything would one day turn out ok. With closed eyes she let the wind rush through her hair, falling into a jagged line of thought that took her back to that first day she had laid eyes on him…