Status: New...tell me if I should continue this. :]

But I Never Promised You

Good News

“Mika.”

I was being shaken awake. I mumbled something incoherently and tried to roll over to go back to sleep. I hadn’t even been able to roll onto my side when I started screaming.

“What’s wrong?”

“Alex, it hurts so badly and I haven’t even touched it yet. Make it stop.” I buried my face in his chest, trying to quiet my screams.

Alex must have known what I needed was more painkillers because he pushed the call light for the nurse.

A minute or so later, the nurse walked through the door. It was the same one as before.

“She needs those painkillers now.”

Alex’s sentence was drowned out by another of my screams. “I can’t stand it, Alex. Make it go away!”

He just held me closer, stroking my back. He looked up at the nurse, again. “Please? I can’t stand to see her in pain.”

She walked back out of the room.

Alex sighed. “That didn’t do any good.”

The nurse walked in a few minutes later with a bottle. “When she wakes up screaming like that, give her two of these. Otherwise, she needs to take one every eight hours for the first week. After the first week, decrease them to every twelve hours. She’ll probably need a refill after the first two weeks, but for the third week, one every twenty-four hours. It would be best to have her take the first weeks doses with breakfast, supper, and before bed. Week twos doses should be taken after waking up and before bed if they’re about twelve hours apart. I would also recommend her taking week threes doses when she wakes up.”

“If I was more dim-witted, that would have made no sense to me. Most of that was common sense. Would you give me the pills so I can give her a couple?”

The nurse reluctantly handed the bottle of pills over to Alex. I’m sure she would have rather given them to me, but under the current circumstances, that wasn’t really possible.

Alex calmed me down enough to get me to take the pills.

After I swallowed them, I buried my face in his chest again. I was ready for this pain to be over with.

The pills the nurse gave me worked fast. Within five minutes, the pain had subsided to a dull ache. I could function again, well, enough to have a conversation anyway.

“What time is it?”

Alex got his phone out. “Seven thirty.”

“Thank you. Do you know when visiting hours end?”

“Nine, I think, unless you’re family.”

“I want to see Conner and Jack. Can we call them?”

He smiled at me. “Sure. Do you want to make the call?”

I nodded and Alex handed me my phone.

I dialed Conner’s number first.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Conner. Can you come see me at the hospital?”

“Sure. I’m with the guys right now. Do you want me to bring them along?”

“Yeah. I was going to call Jack after you to tell him to get his butt over here.”

“Alright. We’ll see you in a little bit.”

“Okay. Bye Conner.”

I hung up the phone and handed it back to Alex.

“Aren’t you going to call Jack?”

I shook my head. “Conner is with them. He’ll bring them along.”

“Okay.”

“I want to go home, Alex.”

He smoothed my hair down a few times. “I know you do, Mika. You can’t yet, though. The doctors want to make sure nothing went wrong in surgery.”

I pouted. “Go make them let me go home.”

He chuckled. “You know I can’t do that.”

“Humph.”

Alex looked at me skeptically. “Don’t make noises at me. That’s not nice.”

“I’ll do what I want Alex. You should know this by now.”

He smiled at me. “I know. That’s one of the things I love about you.”

I snuggled closer to him. “Really? I thought that would be one of the things you didn’t like about me.”

“Honestly, I do.”

I smiled. He was just so cute; it was almost sickening how cute he was. I couldn’t believe how lucky I had gotten to meet him, let alone date him.

I closed my eyes as I leaned on Alex, I was just so tired.

The next thing I knew, Jack was screaming my name.

“Mika! I have arrived!”

I blinked a few times to accustom my eyes to the light again and smiled at him.

“Hi, Jack.”

“Did I wake you up?

“Yeah. I just can’t stay awake. The surgery took a lot out of me, I think.”

“Here, give me a hug and then I’ll let the other guys come say hi and we’ll see you when you get home again.”

I sat up with help from Alex and hugged Jack. “See you tomorrow hopefully.”

“Night, Mika.” He smiled and walked out of the room.

Zack and Rian walked in together.

“How are you feeling, Mika?” Zack asked.

“Tired.”

“We won’t stay long, then.”

“I’m glad you both came.”

They smiled and walked over to give me a hug. After I hugged them, they walked to the door.

“Bye Mika.” They said at nearly the same time.

“Bye guys.” I waved and they walked out of the room.

Conner came in last.

“Hey baby sister, you look like shit.”

“Thanks Conner.”

“How are you feeling?”

“I’m tired, but I’m not in pain anymore. I love the painkillers they gave me.”

“That’s good.” He smiled.

“Come here and give your little sister a hug.”

He complied.

“I’ll let you get some sleep. I’ll be back to check on you tomorrow or pick you up if you get to come home.”

“Thank you Conner. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

After Conner left, I turned to look at Alex. “Stay with me?”

He smiled. “I thought you didn’t want me to.”

“I changed my mind. You can’t leave. What if I wake up screaming again? I don’t know if I’d be able to calm myself down enough to take my medicine.”

“Well, if you insist, I suppose I can stay.”

“You know you want to.”

“Do I?”

“Yes.”

“Well, I don’t know if I want to stay, Mika.”

I pouted. “I bet this will change your mind.”

I kissed him gently.

“Yeah, I think I can stay now.”

I scoffed at him. “Jerk.”

“You don’t mean that.”

I smiled. “I know.”

Alex kissed my forehead. “Sleep Mika.”

I yawned. “Okay.”

I curled up closer to him on my good hip and closed my eyes.

After a few minutes, I had dosed off into a light slumber.

The next morning when I woke up, the doctor was in the room with us.

“Good morning, Miss Oliver.”

“Good morning.”

“How did you sleep?”

“Pretty good.”

Alex had moved from my bed to the chair next to my bed. I looked up at him. “Alex?”

“Yes, Mika.”

“Will you give me my pill?”

He nodded and took one of my pills out of the bottle and handed it to me along with a glass of water.

After I took the pill, I turned back to the doctor. “Do I get to go home soon?”

“Yes, we just have to check to make sure the surgery went well and then you can sign out.”

I smiled.

The doctor came over and lifted my gown to check the incision. “Everything looks good, Miss Oliver. Your vitals are perfect and the incision hasn’t broken open, nor does it seem to be infected. You and Mr. Gaskarth will be free to go shortly.”

“Thank you, Doctor.”
“You’re welcome, Miss Oliver. The only thing we have left to do is schedule a date to have your stitches removed.”

“Any day works for me.”

He looked through the stack of papers in his hand. “I’m free on the twenty-seventh at ten am. It’s a few days after you’re supposed to have them out, but I’m booked up until then.”

“That will be fine for me.”

“I’ll pencil you in. Try not to get into any accidents before then.”

“I’ll try not to Doctor.”

“I’ll see you on the twenty-seventh,” he said as he walked out of the room.

“Did you hear that, Alex? I get to go home.”

“Yes, Mika, I did. I’ll go get your wheelchair and we’ll get you out of here. Call Conner and tell him to come get us.”

I nodded.

A few minutes later, I was being wheeled out to the car to go home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long. I had a family thing to go to over the weekend and then today it was gorgeous so I went boating. Boating + fair skin = bad idea I got sunburned. ]:

Anyway, this story is up to seven stars. I can't believe it. I really didn't think it would get more than two, so thank you guys. You're awesome readers.

I'd like to give special thanks to Unknown S, katiemeatsix, and prettyxinxyourxpain for their wonderful comments. :D