Status: New...tell me if I should continue this. :]

But I Never Promised You

Did You Miss Me?

“What are you doing here?” I asked. “I thought I left Iowa to get away from everything. Everything includes you.”

“Mika…”

I cut him off, “How did you find me anyway? I didn’t give you or mother my address when I up and left.”

“I got it from Tanner.”

“Of course you did. I’m going to kill him as soon as you leave.”

Jack interrupted, his eyes tired from looking between us, “Is this your brother?”

I nodded, “Yeah, this is him.”

Jack walked over to him and gave him a hug, “Thank you.”

“What are you thanking me for? Oh, wait, did you tell them?”

I nodded.

Alex finally spoke up, “Are you going to introduce us?”

“Conner, this is Alex,” I said pointing to my left, “and Jack. Alex, Jack, this is my brother, Conner.”

They exchanged pleasantries.

“Are you going to open the door and invite your big brother in?”

“No. I’m going to open the door and invite Alex and Jack in. You’re going to go home and forget you know where I live.”

“That’s not very hospitable, little sister.”

I gave him a look saying ‘You don’t want to get into it with me right now’.

“Fine, I’ll go, but can I talk to you first?”

I rolled my eyes, but finally agreed. Opening the door to my apartment, I pushed Alex and Jack inside saying, “I’ll be in shortly.”

After closing the door, I looked over at Conner, “What do you want?”

“Is it a crime for me to want to see my little sister?”

“Why did you really come here, Conner?”

“Dad came back. He wanted to see you. He feels bad about what he said.”

“I’m not going back to Iowa for Dad. I wouldn’t even go back for Mom and I don’t have to go back for you, you’re here. How long are you staying?”

“I don’t know yet. It depends on if you let me crash here or if I have to get a hotel.”

“You aren’t staying here Conner.”

“You wouldn’t even be here if it weren’t for me,” he said, starting to get angry.

“I appreciate what you did for me Conner, but we aren’t close anymore. You chose your friends over me, remember?”

“Yeah, and I feel really bad about it. I shouldn’t have done it.”

“But you did.”

“I’ve changed Mika. I don’t even hang out with those guys anymore. Please? I miss my little sister.”

“One night.”

“What? You’re letting me stay?”

“I’m letting you stay for one night. If you haven’t proved you’ve changed then you’re leaving and I don’t want to see you for the rest of the time you’re in California. Alex and Jack have to approve of you and Zack and Rian will be back soon, so they will, too.”

“Why do those names sound familiar?”

“They’re my favorite band, Conner.”

“You’re friends with All Time Low?” Conner said, his volume rising with each word.

“Yes, now be quiet. I’m not the only person who lives here. I’m going to open the door, but you’re not going to treat them any differently than you would my other guy friends. Got it?”

“So, that means I get to be an ass to them?”

“No. I’m not dating any of them. You do not get to treat them like we’re together.”

“Fine. So, how am I treating them? Nice?”

“Treat them like you would Tanner. You knew he was only a friend and you got along.”

“Okay.”

I opened the door, “Conner is going to stay the night.”

Looking back at Conner closing the door, I remembered how much I missed him. I engulfed him in a hug, tears almost spilling over, “I missed you big brother.”

He hugged me back and kissed my forehead, “I missed you too, Mika. So, here is my brilliant plan for drying those tears right up. I’ll go out and buy a twelve pack of Mountain Dew since I know it’s your favorite, the buttery popcorn you like and we’ll put in Mario Party and I’ll whoop your butt like I always used to. How does that sound?”

I smiled cheesily, “That sounds perfect. I feel happier already.”

“Good. I’ll be back soon.”

After Conner walked out the door, I motioned for Alex and Jack to come closer, “Okay, here’s what’s going on since you both look confused. Conner and I used to be really close when we were younger. Actually, just until about a year ago. Then, for some reason, his friends stopped liking me and started making fun of me all the time and just being stupid. Picking on the younger sister because they can. You know the type. Well, for a long time, Conner wouldn’t put up with it. He’d yell at them and almost stopped being their friend because of it, but then, all of a sudden, he started doing it with them. And not just when they were around, but all the time. He’d never acted this way before, I didn’t like it. I started to strongly dislike him. I couldn’t ever hate him; he saved my life more than once and had always been there. He had been my best friend. I had to get away. My dad had left and now my best friend couldn’t stand me. I moved out here.”

“And now your brother is here.”

“Exactly. I didn’t want him to stay at first, but I miss him. If he really has changed like he says he has, I’ll be the happiest person in the world. So, here’s the plan. I need your help to figure out if he’s being genuine or not. I basically just need you guys to approve of him, I should be able to figure out if he’s being sincere or not.”

“What about Zack and Rian? They’ll be back soon.”

“We’ll inform them of the plan when they get here. For now, I need to find my Gamecube so we can play Mario Party.”

Alex, Jack, and I were busy looking through boxes when there was a knock at the door.

“Alex, Jack, Mika, we know you guys are in there! Come open the door!” Rian yelled.

I laughed and walked over opening the door a crack, “Door’s open.”

Rian and Zack came in, arms full of grocery sacks.

“Can we get a little help here?” Zack asked.

“You’re on your own on this one. We’re looking for my Gamecube.”

Just then, I heard a shout from the next room, “Found it!”

Zack smiled knowingly, “So, about that help?”

“Fine,” I mumbled.

Helping Zack and Rian put groceries away didn’t take as long as I anticipated, only about five minutes.

“Shouldn’t you be putting this in your apartment?”

“We already put our stuff away.”

“All I asked you to get was cheesecake.”

“Yeah, but we know Jack, and he’ll eat all our food and then come over here to eat yours. We stocked you up for a little while.”

“Thanks Rian,” I said.

“Jeez, Mika, your brother takes forever.”

I laughed, “I know. I was just thinking that. Let’s set up the game while we’re waiting for him to get back.”

Zack and Rian were looking at me with confused expressions on their faces.

“My brother from Iowa came to visit. It was kind of a surprise. He was waiting outside my apartment when we walked up from the parking garage. He’s staying over for tonight, but I’m not sure how long after that. He has to prove himself, so to speak. And you two are going to help me with that.”

I finished explaining the plan to Zack and Rian.

“Of course we’ll help you, Mika,” Rian said.

“We’d love to,” Zack said.

“Thanks guys.”

We walked into the living room and I started to set up the Gamecube while the boys took over my couch. Now, to wait for Conner.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please.

I'm sorry if it's a little rushed, but I wanted to post it before I went to work tonight.

Oh, and we have six baby kittens. They're so cute. That was my exciting news for today. :]