Status: Not quite done...not even close

The Saphire

Chapter 2

So Castor went to his house and i went into the woods. It is actually really pretty. The woods were a mixture of trees. I saw a few weeping willows. I was about in the middle of the woods when i found a little lake. It really wasn't big enough to be a lake, but then again it was to big to be a pond. The weeping willows populated most of the edge. I slid my boots off and stuck my feet into the water. It felt nice and cool against my warm skin. The sun glittered off the water beautifully. The sun! I hadn't realized how low in the sky it had gotten.
Oh no. I had to get back before dark. I still had about an hour. I slipped the boots on and rushed through the woods. I was paying more attention to the ground than what was above me. That's when i slambed into something hard, and warm. I looked up, shocked.
It was a man. He had to be at least twenty. He had black hair and dark eyes, with light colored skin. He was very handsome, not a Marcel, but still. The problem was that when i ran into him, my hat fell off. I yanked it up and looked at the man.
"Hi." I said weakly.
"Hello." He said, his voice was warm and gentle. "What are you doing here, out in the middle of nowhere?"
"Exploring."
"A young women like you, alone, in woods like this? It isnt safe." He said gently grabbing my arm. "Let me help you."
"Okay." I said softly. Truth is, i didnt know where to go and at the time i had forgotten all about the stone.
He lead me through the woods, but it was taking to long and the sun was starting to set.
"Um...sir, the sun. It's setting."
"Yes, and?" He didn't seem worried at all.
"Well you have to know what comes out at night." He might not, i mean he could have come from some place like i did.
"What comes out at night?"
"Well, i was told that Vampires, Man-eating Werewolves and the Dark Fairy's Army comes out. They are all very dangerous and evil."
"That doesn't sound about right. See the werewolves don't only eat men, but they eat women too." His grip tightened. It stopped the blood flow in my arm.
"Excuse me, that hurts. Stop." I said trying to yank away from him. A deep growl came from his throat, it was a wolves growl but more...sinister. His bones cracked and i heard tearing.
Just as i yanked away a wolf was formed, but it was huge, the size of Castor's mare. I turned and ran, i didn't know which way to run but i ran anyway possible. I ran through small brushes, hoping maybe that the the wolf wouldn't fit. But i could hear it running behind me. I reached for the stone and pictured Castor's house. The problem was that Castor's house was the opposite way that i was going and it was already dark. I grabbed the necklace.
"You saved me last time, please, save me this time." I begged.
I started to curve, so that i could make my way back to Castor's house. I was breathing heavily and the vest wasn't helping. I felt as though i would pass out. But the werewolf got me first. It tackled me from behind. Smashing my face into the dirt. It didn't claw me down, it had slammed me with his noise.
I let out a squeal as i fell. I waited for the bite to happen.
"Shoo, you mutt." Cybill's voice said. The wolf growled, then whimpered. I sat up an looked around. I saw Cybill standing over me. "Sorry i came so late, but Deitra wouldn't let me leave." She muttered something in Latin and she touched my forehead, then i became clean.
"Thank you." I said standing up. "Was that what you saw?" I asked picking up my hat and twisting my hair into it.
"Yes. And don't worry, i won't tell anyone that you're a girl. Though i may tell Acantha and Adonia, so that they leave you alone." She laughed, but i could tell that she was kidding.
"I think i will be fine alone." I said, though i knew i wouldn't be.
She laughed. "I'll walk you to Castor's house."
"Thank you." I sighed.
"So, what's your real name?" She asked as we walked.
"Emily."
"I have never heard that one. Where are you from?"
"Hayesville, North Carolina. But i am from a different world, or at least a different Earth."
"What do you mean, 'different'?"
"Where i come from, we don't have witches, werewolves,wizards or anything like that. No magic or other things. But we have house that cool and warm themselves and stoves that cook the food for you. And instead of having to write a scroll or send a message by foot or house we have technology that does it for us. It kind of makes most of us lazy. And my world has a lot of blonde females. My sister and mom are blondes."
"How old is your sister? What's her name?"
"She's seven. Her name is Elizabeth, but i call her Ellie." For some reason i trusted Cybill with this information. "She's really sweet and tries to protect me, but i am the one that protects her."
"And your mother?"
"Her names Michelle, i dont know how old she is, but she is very...horrible."
She could tell that i didn't want to talk about Michelle so she asked about any other siblings.
"One, he's five and his name is Erin. We all look alike. Blonde hair, blue eyes and cream skin."
"That's good, most siblings don't look alike. Like you wouldn't realize that Deiondra and i are sister's. I took after my mom and she took after our dad. Mom was a witch and dad was a wizard. Deiondra acts just like mom though, and i act more like dad. He couldn't see the future, but he saw the past, and mom saw what has happening at that exact moment at another place. It was handy for keeping a watch on us." Cybill laughed.
I would have never guessed that her and Deiondra were related, let alone sisters. We walked out of the woods and by Castor's house.
"I can't walk you any further, he's got a sheild up that keeps anything from this world out. Everything we talked about tonight will be our little secret." She said touching her finger to her lips. I did the same and she chuckled a little.
She skipped away and i turned to Castor's house. I rushed inside, worried that another werwolf or something worse would find me.
Castor looked at me, shocked.
"Where have you been?!" He shouted as i took my hat and vest off. I slid the shirt off next.
"I was just walking through the woods and got lost. Finally the stone helped me get back here."
"I went out looking for you. But i couldn't find you. And i could feel a werwolf. I had to come back. Are you ok?"
"Yeah, i am fine." I took off the boots and put them next to the bed, along with the shirt, vest and hat.
"Do you want something to eat?"
"Sure."
He handed me corn and some of the fresh meat, with strawberries and blackberries. He muttered Latin and the meat became warm and so did the corn. It tasted wonderful. I ate every bit of it. I was used to crappy food, like frozen table dinners. I only made the good food for Ellie and Erin, there wasn't even for all of us and Michelle hid the rest of the food, i had to buy my own. I was glad to be away from Michelle, but i missed Ellie and Erin, i missed my dad to but i wasn't fearing for his life.
"Thank you." I said after i finished.
"You're welcome."
"Do you want the bed tonight?" I said looking at the mat. But then i saw something else, it was like a rollaway bed.
"I got it from Marcel when you were out getting lost."
"Hey, i only got lost on the way back, and i made it here."
"After dark, you don't know how dangerous it is out there."
Oh, yes i do. "Well i didn't get hurt. I'm fine, i won't go exploring without you. Okay?"
"Yeah, fine."
"I feel like a dog." I muttered.
"What?" Castor asked.
"Nothing." I said quickly. "Well, I'm beat. I'm going to bed." I said rushing out of the room. The truth was i really wanted to get out of the vest. I switched into the white cotton dress.
I laid down and closed my eyes. I was out soon

"Where is Emily? My dad asked as he walked around the house.
"She ranaway a couple of days ago while you were at work. I had been busy making dinner when she snuck out." My mom cried, fake of course.
"Oh, Michelle. Why didn't you call?"
"I didn't want to bother you." She sniffled.
"We have to find her."
"I already tried. She's long gone."
"That's a lie." Ellie said running down the stairs. "I saw it all. Mommy had gotten mad and drunk. Emily told me to hide, but i was afraid that Mommy would hurt Emily. I saw Mommy and Emily fighting, then Mommy grabbed Emily's necklace and i saw a bright light and Emily dissapeared. At first Mommy was shocked, but then she didn't care, she just went back to doing what she was before Emily came down stairs."
Shock slapped my dad in the face.
"Ellie took the runaway the worse. She is just trying to make up and excuse." Michelle told my dad.
"If Emily ranaway, then why didn't she take any of her stuff? She left everything here. I know, i looked through everything."
"Ellie, just because your sister isn't here, doesn't mean you can go through her stuff."
"Stop putting an act on for daddy. You're lying and Emily could be somewhere, hurt! Wanting to come home!"
"Ellie." My dad said softly. "It's ok, we will go looking for Emily. You and Erin can come with us. I promise, we will find her."
"Daddy! It's mommy's fault! Her and that Saphire!" Emily screamed, clinging to Dad's leg.
"Saphire?" My dad said slowly. He looked at Michelle, eyes wide. "She had a Saphire?"
Michelle hung her head. "I don't know where she got it."
"We have to find another one, we have to get her back here. You know where she is and you know exactly what we have to do to get her back."
"I don't know where she is. She could be anywhere in that place."

I jumped awake. What the heck? Was that real? I shook my head, that couldn't be real...but if it was my Michelle and dad know where i am. They spoke of it like...like...they knew a lot about it. Ellie had defended me and i felt proud of my little girl. But were dad and Michelle going to look for me? Do i have to warn everyone that my evil mother was coming? What did this mean! I was so confused.
It was still dark out so Castor would be asleep. I stretched my arms and the joints popped. I took the Saphire off and looked at it after lighting a candle. It sparkled with color. Why had it gotten scorching when Cybill touched me? I hadn't felt any warmth coming from it when Marcel or Castor had touched me, what does that mean? I have no idea what anything means anymore.
I put the Saphire back on and dressed. I used my back up vest instead of the original. I sat on the bed Indian style. I closed my eyes and focused. I want to see if i could activate the Saphire's powers. I focused on the stone resting below my collarbone. I could feel the power, it was...it felt almost human like. Was it possible this stone was actual human like? Yeah, anything is possible on this land of fairytales. I had no idea what the expect. The stone began to glow and glitter. Was...it working?!
It transported me alright, but not where i wanted. I opened my eyes and i was laying on top of Castor. He looked at me, eyes wide.
"W-where did you come from?" He asked looking into my eyes. I blushed as i sat up, i mean the stone had transported me right on top of him.
"I-I was trying to see if i could summon the power of the Saphire, and at first i thought it was working but it kind of only transported me about ten feet. Apparently i don't know how to control it's powers." Like that wasn't obvious.
"But why did you end up on top of me?" It sounded as though his words had double meanings.
"I'm not sure, it's probably the farthest it could bring me." I said, making up a excuse. The truth is, i had no idea.
"But it's good that you summoned the powers. I would take you to Marcel's but Deitra seems better, since she is a witch, and it may be possible that you have the power of a witch." I nodded, i kind of wanted to see Cybill and Deitra again. Cybill, because i felt as though we were friends and Deitra because, something wanted to be close to Deitra, there was something about that seemed so...familiar.
So Castor took me to Deitra. At first Acantha and Adonia were pissed to have visitors this early in the morning, and Adrianna had a stare that could kill somebody. Jeno, Adara, Hadley and Adrianna were still asleep.
"We need help." Castor said quickly. Cybill smiled as she saw me.
"With?" Deitra asked as all of us at down.
Castor looked at me, waiting for me to speak. I sighed. "This." I said taking the necklace of and handing it to Deitra. It lowed as she touched it, like it had when mom or I touched it.
"This is a very powerful stone." Deitra shivered. "I haven't felt anything this powerful before. What is it?" She asked looking at Castor.
"We aren't sure." Castor admitted.
""It's what brought me here." I spoke.
"Brought you here?" Acantha asked. We were all sitting in a circle. Deitra, Castor, Cybill, Acantha, Adonia, Deiondra and I.
"I-I'm not from this world." I said before i pulled my hat off. My blonde hair dropped past my shoulders. It seemed to have lighten in color. "I'm from another Earth, on without magic. The stone transported me a couple of days ago when my mother and i touched it at the same time. I came here, dressed in clothes that Castor said only royalty wore." I reached for the Saphire.
Deitra and i touched, the Saphire seemed pleased by this. It began to glow, blindingly bright.
"Let go!" I yelled. We both dropped it at the same time. But i knew what we had felt. We felt each other's power and the power of the Saphire. I picked the Saphire up, checking for any damages.
"Why did you want me to let go?" Deitra asked. She was surprised and excited by the Saphire.
"Because, it wanted to transport us. Every time before it bringd me somewhere new, it glows just like that. It did it this morning and the night i left my world."
"This morning?" Adonia questioned.
"Yeah, i decided to test it's power and see if it worked. It did but it only sent me about twelve feet. Not as far as i wanted."
"You want to go home, correct?" Deitra asked.
"Yes, more than anything. I have people i must protect."
Castor suddenly cleared his throat. "I have to go, Marcel is expecting me."
"Marcel!" Adonia and Acantha yelled. "Oh, how wonderful it would be to see him. But ever since that night he avodes us." It was creepy when they talked together, it was as though they were one person.
I stood up to leave. "Emily, i think it would be best if you stayed with them. Marcel, he doesn't like witches being around him when he teaches."
"But i'm not a witch."
"You have the aura of a witch, he will notice. It will be best if you stay here."
"But-"
"He's right." Deitra agreed.
"We'll keep you save." Cybill smiled. That won me over and i stayed.
"Bye." Castor said before he left. The moment he let Acantha and Adonia jumped up. "Well time to wake everyone up." They laughed.
"I won't be in practice today." Deitra said. "If Deiondra doesn't have a hang-over then she will teach but if she does Adara will teach."
Cybill nodded and they left the room. "Where do they practice?" I asked.
"In the back, in a forest hidden from the eyes of anybody who isn't in the High Nine Witches. We will practice in the back of the house, close to where the rest are practicing but far enough away that they won't be able to hear us."
"Does everyone go back and practice?" It seemed like a perfect time to attack the house."
"Yes, we have a spell that makes sure nobody can get in. They have to wait for us to come to the door."
"What are we practicing for?"
"We are going to try to figure out the Saphire. They are rare here...dangerous things. And with it in the hands of a mortal, it is deadly. But i can tell the Saphire wishes to be with you more than anyone else."
"How?"
"Earlier, when we touched and it glowed. It felt it's powers and heard it's desires." Deitra left the room for a moment and came back dressed in something completely differeent. She had been wearing a silver type fabric. Now she was wearing clothes like she was ready for a battle. Black strips of fabric wrapped around her torso and dark blue fabric created shorts for her legs. "A spell keeps them from falling." She informed me. She took off my upper vest and set it next to my hat. "What you're wearing is fine for now."
She led me to a room in the WAY back of the house. This house about ten times the size it looked like from the outside. There was a stand of some sort. It looked Greek. It was made from stone and was a dark color. But it was a color i had never seen before. Because everytime i looked at it, it was a different color, a different shade.
"It's a magic stand, it helps summoning powers, even ones well hidden." I had expected to see a crystal ball on the top of it. "Set the Saphire down." She demanded.
I did as she said. It glowed for a moment, then the light flickered and turned dark.
Deitra clicked her tongue. "It's mad."
"How can a stone be mad?"
"Saphires are...special. They are different from any other stone. Witches only know the truth of a Saphire, everyone else just thinks they are a rare, very powerful stone. They are but that's not what is important."
"Then what is?"
"Saphires must be forged by VERY powerful witches and they have to be willing to risk it all. Because sometimes not all witches survive. The stone is forged by the souls of the suffering, the trapped. A witch has to be able to contact these souls and bring them together. Sometimes the souls are grateful, sometimes the souls are just pissed. In this case they are grateful."
"But why is the Saphire so attatched to me?"
"I am not sure. This is why we are going to do this. We are going to summon the spirits from the Saphire."
"Is that safe?"
"No, that's why you will sit back there." She said pointing at a yellow mat. "And that's also why my followers aren't here. Now sit." She demanded and i wasn't about tp argue. She stepped up to the stand and place her hands on two sides, thought there weren't really sides, the surface was a circle. She began muttering Latin or Greek and the Saphire began flickering, but instead of a white light, it was dark, not black but it had a red tint.
I heard a frightening sound. It was coming from the Saphire. But Deitra just kept muttering. The dark light began to stretch through the room. Searching. First it came to Deitra. At first it wrapped around her and turned white. But after a moment it flicked red again and rejected her. It began searching again. It reached for me but it a invisible wall. It encircled the sphere, but it couldn't find a hole. I couldn't see anything, but the light becoming darker. It was black now. It was angry, very angry.
"Deitra!" I called. I reached out and i exited the sphere. The light wrapped around me and became white. I heard a sigh.
"Emily, it wants you. I know why now, only you can remove the Saphire from the stand."
I walked up and took it. The light folded itself back into the Saphire and i put it back on my neck.
"Why does it want me?" I asked.
"It-"
"Deitra!" Hedley said running to Deitra. "They're fighting." She panted.
"Who?"
"Everyone, they started an arguement and now Acantha, Adonia, Deiondra and Adrianna are fighting against Cybill, Adara and Jeno are fighting. I came here to warn you."
"Well wait are we waiting for? Them to kill each other? Let's go."
So i went with them to a beautiful garden. I could actually see it. The flowers were gold, silver and bronze. The stems were made of emeralds. They glitted and sparkled.
"Can you see it?" She asked.
"Yes."
She got a strange smile. But then i saw them. They were throwing all sorts of spells at each other.
Fire balls, lightening rods, bad smelling spells, everything you could think of. Deiondra actually soaked her sister in wine, but Cybill covered her in mud.
"Stop!" Deitra screamed. Adrianna threw one last spell and everyone froze. "While i was inside taking care of very important matters you guys chose to act like stupid children." Deitra said walking into the middle of the battlefield. "I can't leave you idiots alone for less than a minute. Is this how the High Nine are supposed to act? Like children? Maybe you all should get re-educated, the hard way." Deitra's voice was steel. She was pissed. The Saphire reacted to it. I felt it give me power. The ground shook beneath me.
Every witch there though it was Deitra, Deitra knew it was me. She stared at me, wide-eyed.
Stop it! I ordered and it listened. There was a silence.
Deitra stepped towards me. "Emily? What did you do?" She asked softly.
"I-I don't know." I said looking down. That's when every witches' eye shifted between Deitra and me. "It reacted to your anger...i think it was trying to protect me or someting. When you got mad it just took off,i had no control."
Deitra nodded. "It seems that it's stronger then i thought it was. But that doesn't change anything. We will have to work with it, to et it to cooperate with us."
I nodded. It seemed easiest to agree with her. She turned her attention back to the other witches.
"Did i tell you to listen in on our conversation? I believe you guys have training to make up for. Now get to work!" The witches snapped out of their frozen state. They started practicing again.
I heard a bellring.
Acantha and Adonia moved towards the house. "I'll get that. You get back to work." Deitra demanded."Emily, come with me." Deitra said pulling me to the house.
"What was that noise?"
"It's saying somebody is at the door. Probably a customer wanting to buy a potion, or somebody looker for a teacher. But they should know i only teach on certain days and today is not one of those days."
We walked through the house and to the front section. "Here, sit in my chair." I did as she said as she answered the door. It was somebody wanting to buy a potion. They shot a look at me but otherwise ignored me, and i was happy with that, i already felt weird about all the attention i was getting, but it was the only way i could get back to Ellie and Erin.
It took them a while to find the potion, and along with that they were talking a lot.
"Um..Deitra do you mind if i go look for Cybill?" I asked after waiting for a while.
She thought for a moment. "Sure go ahead, this may take a while." I nodded and slipped out the back door.
Cybill was practicing with Adara but when she saw me she whispered Adara something and Adara skipped to Jeno and Hedley. Cybill came over to me.
"Hi." She smiled.
"Hey."
"Deitra leave you?" "Nah, she had a costumer she had to sell potions to, and she got distracted. So i figured i would come see what you were doing."
"Just practicing. We have to work on our powers every day of the week, it gets really annoying after a while. So what did you and Deitra do?"
"We were working on the Saphire. Figuring out what it was made of, how it was made and who it was made by."
"So what did you find out?"
"Well...it was forged by a very very powerful witch. It was made by the souls of the enternal suffering to ease their pain. The souls became thankful of this act that they became sort of like her slaves. They do her bidding."