The Best Thing About Me Is You

To the world you are one person, but to one person you are the world.

It’s funny, how things seem to fall into place when you least expect it. I had never been one for fate, but there are no other words to describe what had happened. We had gone to the same high school, had been in the same military unit, and even had the same circle of friends for nearly three years, and had never met. It was like there was something higher up there, waiting for the opportune moment to push him into my path. It wasn’t until I needed him most, needed him like I had never needed another human being before, that he came to me.

I had just had my first child, a beautiful little girl by the name of Shelby, about six months prior. I was young, and wasn’t prepared for motherhood, so I opted to give her up for adoption. It made a lot of people that were close to me, hate me. I had thought that I had been making the right decision, but according to my mother, I was just being selfish. I was hurting, but trying hard not to show it. My roommate, and best friend, Jenni was trying to pull me through my self-pity, but I didn’t want to listen to her. In a way, I knew she understood. She had lost a child, due to miscarriage, but I knew that I needed something other than what she could give me.

The guy I had been dating when I got pregnant was a douchebag, to put it nicely. He worked, when we first met, and then he got fired. He drank, did drugs, and had a bad record. But somehow, I found him attractive enough to forget about those things. And that was my first mistake. My second mistake, and the biggest factor in the whole ordeal, was thinking that waiting to get my birth control prescription refilled was a good idea. Nine months later, out came Shelby, and I was stuck, dying inside of my own mind.

Jenni had thought that it would be a great idea for us to go out. I’m not sure if it was just to get me out of the house, seeing as I hadn’t left in ages, or if it was because she genuinely wanted to go dance and have a good time. Begrudgingly, I pulled myself off of the couch and got dressed. As I was in the bathroom, I heard a knock on the door, followed by a male’s voice. I arched a brow at myself in the mirror as I ran a brush through my hair. As far as I knew, Jenni wasn’t dating anyone, and I knew that no man would be coming to visit me any time soon. I was still trying to get rid of the baby fat around my middle. I wrinkled my nose as I sat the brush down on the counter and pressed a finger to my middle.

Sighing, I opened the door to the bathroom and made my way to the living room. As I rounded the corner, I saw Jenni talking to someone. When they heard my footsteps, they both turned. “Miriah! Hey, you’ve met Connor, right?” she asked, gesturing to the guy with her.

As I turned my eyes towards him, it was almost as if my heart stopped. He stood a few inches taller than myself, with short blonde hair. Intelligent, deep blue eyes peered back at me above a boyish smile. His hands were tucked inside of his pockets, making the muscles on his upper arms stand out against his fitted black t-shirt. I knew in that moment, as I stared at him in awe, that there was something special about him. In an instant, I felt calmer, happier. He felt pure and good and it made me just want to hug myself to him, in hopes that everything he was would wash over me.

I shook my head and stretched my hand out for him to take. He clasped it in his larger one, pumping it once before letting it go. “I don’t think we have,” he said, his voice light. He smiled at me, as if he knew what I was feeling, as if he was feeling the same way. Deep within his beautiful eyes, I could see that he had gone through hurt too. I didn’t know what it was, but it was there, plain as day to someone who was going through the same thing.

Even as he sat down and made himself comfortable, giving us space to continue getting ready, I couldn’t stop looking at him. I entered the bedroom, but watched him out of the corner of my eye. It was like a gravitational pull. My eyes were locked on. “He’s our new security guard,” Jenni said, catching me staring at our visitor. I tore my eyes away. That meant he would be living here, in our apartment complex. For the first time in six months, I felt a real smile grace my face. I felt lighter, like I was floating.

Jenni finished getting ready, and we were ushered out. She locked the door up behind her, said goodbye to Connor, and headed towards my car. I paused, stalling in hopes that he would talk to me. We stood at the top of the stairs, comfortable yet awkward at the same time. “It was nice to meet you,” he said, smiling at me. I nodded, smiling back, my hand going to steady myself on the railing. I didn’t want to leave him. I wanted him to come with us, or to stay behind and talk to him. I felt like I could pour my soul out to him, and he wouldn’t think wrongly of me. I wanted him to take me into his arms, and tell me that everything was going to be okay. For some reason, I knew that if he told me that, I would know it was true. Jenni honked my horn, and we were both broken by the spell holding us in place. “I’ll see you around,” he murmured, easing past me and entering the apartment below us. I sighed heavily, feeling the darkness once again overwhelm me, and met Jenni in the car.

--

Nearly a year later, I knew I was right that night, in Jenni’s living room. Connor helped me through some of the toughest times in my life, and I did the same for him. I often tell him that I knew I loved him from the moment I met him. He will smile at me, as if he completely understands, and then take me into his arms and nuzzle against my hair. I don’t think I will ever find another man like him. I don’t think I even want to try. He is my everything, and has been since I first laid eyes on him.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is based on a true story, my own. I'm still dating Connor, and we're in fact, living together happily, making plans for our future. I love him just as strongly now as I did then, and I'm forever grateful to have him in my life. I hope you enjoy this story, and that it moves you the way he moves me. <3