The Drowning Year

March

Ever since I walked out of his room, Jericho has hardly spoken a word to me. Only when I am summoned or have to have an escort does he appear. I know I hurt him, and it oddly kills me to know that I did, but I can’t help the fact that I have to be the one to save the world, and if I show weakness, I will lose. I think I love him, not sure what kind of love, but a love none the less.
I closed my eyes, concentrating on the gentle movement of the wind against my face, and the smell of the forest.

I saw mom she was dressed all in black, her hair neatly pulled back into a tight bun just above her neck. “Come on, let’s get this over with.” Dad stated solemnly. They walked closer to the cluster of people gathered around a mahogany casket. It was my sister’s funeral. Mom looked so vacant, like there was nothing left of her. Alex’s mother walked up to her, taking her hands in hers. “I am deeply sorry about the loss of both your daughters. Best of luck to you in the future, hopefully something good will happen. Although I can’t imagine having another child at your age, it would just turn out like the rest.” I watched as the devil herself walked away, as mom clenched her hands tightly before walking away from the group toward the church.

Alex wasn’t at the funeral; no he had to keep up the act of depression. He was in his room, some girl laughing and smiling with him. He was just as evil as his mother, and the queen whom I had to destroy. I couldn’t believe I used to have feelings for him, used to crave his attention. I’m glad my love for him crumbled to dust, only to be swept away by someone better.


I opened my eyes to see Jericho sitting patiently in a chair by the balcony. “Dreaming again?” He stated monotonously. His eyes were focused on something far out of sight, his words almost matching the distance.

“Yes,” I had admitted to myself I loved him. I admitted that I wanted him to be my family. I admitted that I hate the way he was acting, even though he had a reason for it.

The Queen wants to see you. She said it is quite urgent.” Jericho stood up quickly, navigating his way to the door. “Don’t dawdle, Emma.” I sighed before following him through the doorway and down the hall. I wanted to apologize more than anything, but I wasn’t sure how. I wanted to show him I cared. Before reaching the Great Hall, I grabbed his hand and squeezed it. He glanced at me, no emotion gracing his face, but he squeezed back. It was the slightest notion that made me want to jump up and down and sing like teenage girl I was.

We passed through the ridiculously tall doorway into the Hall. Theris sat, like always, in her ruby embellished chair, a girl standing beside her dutifully. “Theris,” I stated before bowing my head slightly acknowledging her as a superior.

“Emma, I believe I have yet to introduce you to my latest experiment. This is Leila. She was born not too long before you, actually. She has been quite the prodigy, I’m sure you’d be excellent as well, but your rebellious attitude would have to be demolished.” Her voice was like nails on a chalk board, most definitely irritating beyond most normal capacities. I glanced at the girl, her chestnut hair falling elegantly around her face, a devilish smile filling her perfect lips. It was Leah, only in spirit form, and darker than she used to be. She had an evil in her that had blossomed through her birth into this world. “Isn’t she beautiful? She’ll make a wonderful Queen once my royal time has ended. I’ve been training her since she was brought to me, as I have been training Jericho to become husband to the next Queen, whoever it would be.” Her eyes sparkled with a type of mischievous play. She was the cat and I was the mouse; however, Tom never won against Jerry, so watch out you power mad, blood thirsty feline.

“A wonderful pair it would be. I do apologize for my temper; I was just shocked at such a magnificent place this world was, and still slightly confused as to my birth. It could have spawned from my murder, but who’s to understand what has already been done.” Her lip twitched into an awkward smirk, a pointy canine poking through her brilliant red lips.

“Understandable, my dear; I must say though, you have such elegant speech for mortal of your era.”

“I was a mystery in my own time, no one quite understood my ways. I was always lost in my own thoughts and less so in the reality in which I lived.” She smiled and clapped her wicked hands together, her nails clinking together every so often.

“Jericho, you sure did find a magnificent catch! I do enjoy her now that the garish side of her has disappeared!” Jericho bowed slightly before staring at her emptily. “You may leave now, but do expect to be called upon soon my dear. Your presence is very much so welcomed.” We bowed our heads once more before turning and leaving. Leah was the Evil Queen’s heir to the throne. Only she would die and find her inner devil.