Status: active

Abomination

Silvan Woods: Part 2

“Now Felix you know you aren’t supposed to be out at such a late hour.”

The voice made me jump and I almost cut myself with the daggers in my hands, “Valdor!” I yelled out and almost started running but I then realized who the voice belonged to, “Elder Thomas, please forgive me. I almost cut myself and…”

“Hush, Felix. There are no excuses for using our God’s name in vain. Besides, you would have not almost cut yourself had you not been out here or let alone handling the Mortiquia draggers. Where did you get those?”

I looked down at my feet, and gripped the two daggers tightly. I could feel the dragon skin padding on my palms, and the grooves where my fingers fit perfectly into. These weapons are forbidden among the Silax elves. They believe the daggers are crafted with evil and fel demon blood. I am not a Silax elf though, not purely anyway. However, I am a part of their clan and I have been my whole life.

“Felix?” Elder Thomas said more sternly, pressing me to answer.

I have always been a good liar and I thought I was pretty sneaky; apparently I’m wrong though since Elder Thomas found me out here.

The old man’s eyes were looking right into mine and I couldn’t bring myself to tell him I found them in the woods or stole them from someone. I could not lie to Elder Thomas. “I have had them my whole life sir,” I swallowed hard awaiting him to sentence me my punishment or accuse me of lying.

“Very well. I know all about those daggers of yours. I have seen you many times out here; I see you have gotten better at handling them.” He laughed, “I thought you were actually going to try and lie to me!”

“I don’t understand. You have known all along? And you haven’t turned me in? Have you forgotten the punishment to anyone who handles Mortiquia weaponry?”

“No I have not forgotten: exile or death. It has not changed for many years.” He came closer to me and extended his hand to me, “Let me see them.”

I did as he asked and placed the daggers in his hands.

“I probably should have turned you in but I couldn’t bring myself to it. These daggers fascinate me; so much power in such a puny thing. You know who your father is correct?”

“Yes sir. He is the Keeper of the Mortiquia.”

“So, Velanna has told you then.”

“Of course she has. My mother has not kept anything from me.”

“Do you know where they are?”

“No one does. They keep as secluded as possible.”

Elder Thomas handed the daggers back to me, “The Silvan Woods, Felix.”

“What?”

He got closer and lowered his voice, “The Mortiquia have a camp in the Silvan Woods; I have seen it. Your father is probably there.”

My eyes widened, “are you sure?”

“Yes –” he looked up abruptly, “did you hear that?”

“Hear wha - ?” I then saw it. Shadows were surrounding us.

“Elder Thomas, you know those are forbidden,” Keeper Zarthian came into view, his bow in hand.

“Run Felix!” I heard my mother yell. Two soldiers came into view carrying her.

“Felix,” said Elder Thomas, “listen to your mother. Run. Don’t stop running Felix…”

I was already gone.

I spotted my victim in a tree not too far away from the one I was crouched in. A traveler’s fire lit it up perfectly for me. I could see every scale on its serpent face, and the vibrant colors of its feathered wings were thoroughly visible. The beast did not notice me and was taking a peculiar interest in the person of which my spot light belonged to. I made a note to myself to thank whoever it is for helping me finally conquer this creature.

I pointed the arrow that would soon pierce the skin of my beautiful prey toward it, then, I placed the arrow in the center of the bowstring and raised my bow and brought the arrow to my jaw bone.

Deep breath. Release. Exhale.

I repeated this several times though I knew it was hardly necessary considering how easy my target is, and that I quite possibly have the best dexterity of most archers.

Right as I was about to release, I watched as the serpents wings extended and it’s body slithered into the air.

“Damn!” I muttered to myself. “She couldn’t have seen me… I was so careful. I didn’t make a sound!”

Maybe the traveler was the cause for my failure, I thought. “Yes, he had to of been.”

I decided to go forth and meet my nemesis. I think this is partly because I haven’t seen any travelers in the Silvan Woods for months and partly because I wish to confirm that he, not I, was responsible for my faults.

When I arrived at the wanderer’s camp I was surprised to find that he was a she. I watched as she followed the serpent’s body slither away into the night with the same look that everyone has when they see her for the first time: amazement and shock of the creature’s beauty and its flawless grace.

I have seen many travelers in these woods but none of them have been women, or at least none of them women traveling alone. I have certainly never seen a woman of such beauty that of which could possibly compete with the beast I am after. I was fascinated by her and could not bring myself to disturb her doings. I watched her every move; she maneuvered almost as well I, hardly making a sound while she packed her camp. I wondered if she had sensed me watching her but didn’t act upon it in fear of conflict. She seemed to be the type to not enjoy battle but by the stern look on her face I figured she wouldn’t mind beating the pulp out of someone; she could probably do it too.

The woman walked with much hastiness as though she were in a hurry. Then again, most people that have to venture through the Silvan Woods are. The Silvan Woods are beautiful to those who see it when it is not so fierce. It is truly one of the most majestic places in Bolivia if looked through the right eyes. From the tree tops I have seen wolf pups grow into mighty beings and I have seen magnificent creatures that do not have names. On the ground, I have ventured through undiscovered ruins of the world’s ancestors and witnessed puny trees grow into glorious skyscrapers. Still, these woods are full of dangerous beings: bandits, witches and even things such as werewolves.

The werewolves are actually the least dangerous predators though. They do their best to avoid trouble but if you cross paths with one of them they very rarely let you live. They like to keep themselves exiled from people and most other animals so if anyone is to discover their layer they feel threatened and have to kill them. I know this because I have spoken to one before. The werewolves are surprisingly intelligent and learn very quickly and picked up on the ancient elvan language many years ago. My mother made me study the language when I still lived with the Salix clan so I am able to speak it a little. The Alpha wolf said I was not a threat to his pack, though I am not sure why he thought this. I was not of course, but he knew before I had said anything.

I came across the pack when I was told by a passing traveler that the Mortiquia clan had a camp somewhere near the eastern part of the forest a few years ago. The pack settled into that very camp after the clan migrated somewhere else. The Alpha told me they picked up scents that were similar to the ones in the ruins when he was in the south western Silvan Woods so I took off in that direction. That is how I came across my new companion.
I concluded that I would follow the tantalizing women since she was going in the same general direction that I was and if I feel the need to I might introduce myself. Before I did that though I would need to make certain that she is not a threat and will not try to attack me for I do not think I would be able to harm such a beautiful creature.
♠ ♠ ♠
feeeeeeeeeeeeeeed back!!! please..