Secret Valentine

Falling in love was supposed to be a magical, mind-blowing experience. Love was supposed to sweep you off your feet. It was supposed to be responsible for keeping you up all night, making your heart beat a little faster, making your palms sweaty and your stomach do cartwheels. Love was supposed to be the greatest thing to ever happen to you. You’re supposed to fall in love with your knight in shining armor, your savior, your better half. They’re supposed to save you from yourself and change your life in ways you didn’t even know possible.

Well, let me tell you, I didn’t fall in love with any prince charming. I was awake until the wee hours of the morning because I had a bad case of insomnia and my heart beat faster than normal because I got anxiety attacks. My palms sweat because I was constantly nervous and my stomach did cartwheels because that’s just what it did. (I’d stopped questioning it after I vomited in my lunchbox on a class trip in the second grade. It just did whatever it wanted.) The only positive thing I can say about falling in love is that it certainly did change my life.

That’s why I will forever curse the day I fell in love with my best friend.

***

Written for the Band Member Contest.