Outside Appearances Are Just for Show

I'll Run, And Never Look Back.

“Hi” Lyric said as Hannah and Landon walked through the door.

“Oh shut up...” Landon snapped as he looked at Kalina.

“You, are coming with me.” Hannah said glumly, looking sadly at Kalina and ignoring Lyric's deathly glare entirely.

“W-what, w-w-why?” Kalina complained, stuttering in utter fright.

“You can't just take her!” Lyric blew up, wrapping his arms tightly around Kalina's smaller frame, not letting her go.

“Yes. I can, actually.” Hannah grabbed Kalina's arm and pulled the younger girl towards and out of the wide open bedroom door. Landon followed the two girls but after reaching the outside of the door, he stopped. All he did was hold the door shut beside them. Locking Lyric alone, inside as he both furiously and frantically beat on it, trying to move the handle desperately. Screaming came out from behind the door in screeches of pure fury. But nothing seemed to be working.

“What's going on?” Kalina asked nervously as the door slammed behind them. She looked first at Hannah, then at Landon. Both looked at the floor and wouldn't make the slightest bit of eye contact. Then the pounding noises began. And the screaming of her name. She couldn't take much more of this.

“The police are searching for you, they plan on taking you back home... You. Need. To. Leave! I don't want you to leave, but just go into town. If you don't they are going to find us out here Lena!” Hannah explained pleadingly. “And I do not know what would happen, if that...would happen.” She finished her explanation with whispering, sadly.

Kalina bit her bottom lip and nodded. This family had done so well on their own, by themselves for so many years. No one knows they are out here, living. No one at all. If the police came looking for her, then the surely would also find the small family of brothers and sisters. And that was something that she couldn't let happen.

“Landon you have to tell him, it's gonna break his heart... and he'll be pissed. Beyond pissed really” Hannah said quietly. Each of them knew the him in reference, Lyric. Kalina couldn't imagine leaving him, he was her life line. The only reason she was alive. And, she has to just up and leave. Than what?

“No let me?” Kalina stated looking between the two of them back and forth. They shook their heads in opposition, they knew Lyric. He would throw a fit at the very mention, they knew how close the two of them became over the past month plus. They didn't understand why, of course considering the way she was treated by him at first... coldly. But there definitely was a change in him, for the better. Though if she left, he would in fact, throw a fit.

Kalina didn't care she knew of what he could do but that was the least of her problems right at this moment. 'He wouldn't hurt me, I know that.' She thought before muttering a simple, “Please?”

Finally, they agreed. Landon let go of the door and stepped back just as quickly. It whipped open wide and hit the wall with a large 'thud' sound. Lyric's yelling and cursing various profanities came next. That is until he saw Kalina standing there, flinching at his words and the booming sound coming from his mouth as well. He stopped mid sentence allowing pure silence to envelope the four of them, silence.

“Whats wrong?” He asked after a while, looking at only Kalina as he said the two simple words, sadly. Kalina didn't even say anything in return, actions speak louder than words. She pushed him hastily in to the room and shut and locked the door softly behind them.

There was a long pause. Lyric only looked at the sad stricken girl in front of him, as she wasn't able to force her eyes to the the floor beneath their feet.

“I have to leave...” She whispered only raising her head enough to peak at him through her eye lashed. He looked mad at first but all of that anger was erased when he lunged forwards and started kissing her madly. Like he couldn't get enough of the feel of her lips on his own. Kalina did the same, kissing him needily. Knowing damn well that she probably wouldn't see him ever again; and that alone hurt.

Lyric's hands gripped her sides before running upwards, taking the thin fabric of the plain white thermal top she was wearing, his shirt, with them.

It was safe to say that that night was unlike any other, one filled with lust, want and passion.

-

The next morning, before the light of the sun even started to surface, she crawled out of the bed. Much to Lyric's dismay and pleading, they both knew she needed to leave.

After dressing once more in the tiny bathroom, the final time; she walked out and into the kitchen/ living room. Landon lay snoring on the couch, covered in multiple blankets to her right while Hannah was sitting on a stool at the island in the kitchen with her head limply on the counter.

She couldn't bare to wake Landon nor Hannah...Nor Haylee (who still had no clue whatsoever about any of this by the way.) So with a single piece of paper she scratched out a letter in her shaky handwriting.

Lyric sauntered of of the room as she was folding the paper in half. His arms wrapped around her waist and his head busied itself in her hair, taking in her scent, look, the taste that her skin seemed to have as he kissed the sliver of exposed neck.

“I love you...” Kalina could have sworn she heard come out of his mouth, but she wasn't sure it was so soft. She wasn't about to ask him “what did you say?” either. It just didn't seem appropriate in this particular situation, at this very moment. It was all too serene in a way.

She walked out of the door, never once looking back until the last minute at the heart broken boy, Lyric, who stood at the window, watching her walk away. He felt rejected, though he knew she had no control over what was happening. As she looked back at the tiny house way out in the distance behind her, tears ran down her face. Wiping her eyes, she began to walk away from the footsteps that had already made a clear, evident path in the waning snow. Making new tracks in the wet, muddy and messy looking earth, she headed towards town, ready to turn herself in.

She wasn't about to let anything happen, to allow the police to find the family in the middle of nowhere, she was determined not to.