Outside Appearances Are Just for Show

The End

Kalina watched Lyric's face light up when he first saw her, Saige. He didn't even ask whether she was his or not, just like everyone else, he just knew at a single glance.

Kalina still hadn't gotten the courage to tell him the truth out loud, therefore she did the next best thing... Made him follow her, hand in hand, back to the little cabin he called “home.” She decided showing would be much better, then she wouldn't need to suffer “wrath” if there was to ever be any, either.

But Lyric wasn't even the smallest bit angry at Kalina after all, not that he should have been. Everyone, Hannah and Landon included thought he may just blow up and or self destruct in that split second he stood watching in from the door.

After getting over the daze he had been in, staring at the baby wrapped in Haylee's arms, he smiled. Not just any smile either, the first genuine smile since he saw Kalina leaving him over a year prior.

He turned and kissed her, shocking her completely. After all she hadn't expected it at all. Neither had Hannah (who literally gasped) and Landon who happened to be turned around, but froze as he saw them out of the corner of his eye. Haylee just giggled, her 6 year old self still into the whole fairytale, happy ever after endings, and whatnot.

“I have a baby?” Lyric whispered almost inaudibly into Kalina's ear as he wrapped his arms tightly around her waist. She only nodded into his chest before he pulled away.

Smiling and biting his lip, he slowly walked the short distance over to where Haylee sat on the couch holding her. He gingerly sat down on the soft cushions, and Haylee handed her to him as best as her little arms could. You know how people are afraid to hold babies because they think they'll break them? Well... that was the reaction he had. He was afraid to take her out of Haylee's arms and into his own, afraid he would drop her or hurt her by his much stronger, strength.

“What's her name?” Lyric asked uncovering the blanket away from her head some more; after he was cradling the baby in his two arms.

“Yeah, you never told me!” Hannah exclaimed, making her way across the room in record time, going over to hug Kalina properly.

“Saige...” Just the thought threatened to bring Kalina into a Cheshire cat-like grin.

“Aww she's so cute.” Cooed Hannah in a baby voice. Kalina shook her head at the childish acting older girl.

“Why did you choose Saige?” Landon asked suddenly coming back out from within the shadows. He had disappeared for a few minutes after seeing his younger brother, smiling in the doorway.

“I found out about my parents. They were from here, in town.” Kalina began her explanation, finally. “And they are buried in the cemetery next to the church...” Lyric looked at her sympathetically, knowing what it was like to loose his parents one way or another. Sure, she hadn't grown up with them; yet despite that fact there was always that chance of them being out there somewhere... Now they all know for certain that she will never get to meet her parents, whether she wanted to or not.

“I found out a little while ago that my real birth name, the one that my parents gave me was Saige... Saige Taylor... My name wasn't Kalina. They never knew me as Kalina.” She shrugged and shook her head some “Anyways, I thought it fit her, at least much more so than it would have me... Do you like it?” That last question was asked reluctantly, all too nervous with what the answer truly would be. Love it, or hate it? After all, Saige... is a type of herb, you know? Not everyone truly likes it as a name for a kid.

“I love it...” Lyric whispered, smiling up at her. Saige cooed in his arms making everyone laugh at the adorable sound of their daughter and niece.

----------

Kalina stayed there in the cabin, in the middle of the tiny town's wooded forest,with them. Lyric spent every single waking second with Saige; spoiling her like crazy. Kalina knew Saige was going to grow up a daddy's girl... Though at that time, she still didn't know if that would be good or bad thing yet.

Kalina was also another person Lyric wouldn't let leave his side.

For once, the three of them seemed like they could really work out as a family... After all they didn't need more reason than Saige to do just that. Nothing could come between them.

Lyric never got angry, he never even questioned why Kalina didn't tell him about his daughter sooner. He was just happy to have her now and have Kalina again.
She was only a little over 17 but she knew she would spend the rest of her life with him. They seemed to complete each other.

And in the process... they both saved each other.

Neither could imagine leaving the other again. It was too painful for them both.

2 months after Kalina and Saige had gotten to the cabin, Landon moved out. He found some girl who was passing thought the town... She was everything he could have ever wanted, and every single one of them loved her as well. They only moved about an hour and a half drive from the small town, in the much much larger outlying city. Somehow the remaining family members managed to get a cell phone with service way out in the forest to keep in touch. Not that the two didn't come and visit every weekend.

That's how close they are, how close they all stayed.

Hannah and Haylee are fine themselves, they both are still crazy. Hannah has been rubbing off on Haylee, and making her mad like a hyena, but to Kalina, she still loves them like sisters. If they were any different, she doesn't know what she would do.

-

“No one told me when I came out here that my life would change for the better. I just figured I would have been found, my pale lifeless body or bones, by some random person hiking days or years from then. Then nothing would be left... But I was stopped by a boy. The man who is now the love of both mine and our daughters life. Despite the original hate, he changed me entirely... He made me see that I could live on. It was never easy though, it never will be. The thoughts still tend to come back.

'Over a year ago if someone told me my life would be like this I would say they are crazy...but then again aren't we all in one way or another?”
♠ ♠ ♠
You never know what you have...

Until it is gone.

Over the decade or so, suicide has become a worldwide “problem.” Whether young... or old, people have been taking their lives in staggering numbers. You see it in the news, in the papers and magazines, on the radio, online and in stories. People ask, 'why?' “What could possibly be so bad in a persons life that they would end it all?” Well that's the thing, there isn't just one reason behind it. Every single person had and has their own thoughts, they all are responsible for their own actions.

It is often said that “it's the ones that never talk about suicide that you need to watch out for.” The people who seem to have everything going for them and that act like everything is fine. Oh, “the quiet thinks that no one ever knows.”

One minute a person could be fine, winning a scholarship to some prestigious college the next, only hours later they could be dead with a gun in their hands in the middle of nowhere.

This story however is nothing like that, its a story of hope and second chances. A story of one of the few that were literally “saved from themselves.”

It was inspired by many of friends and friends of friends who have died. With each one it seems that a little piece of my heart and faith disappears.

It took one single boy to make me realize, you can live even if it is only for yourself. What better life is out there? Live the one you are given, graciously. Even if you feel like giving up. l know personally, I've done that so many times that I've lost count.

I hope that you've enjoyed this story and that in some way, it at least gets you to remember in some way, that there is hope out there. No matter who you are, what you are dealing (or not dealing) with. No one has a perfect nor carefree life after all.

There is always something, someone out there to live for. Even if you havent met them or found out what that thing is yet (: