Sequel: Hey Dreamer
Status: Complete.

To Go From There

Chapter Twenty-Two

Our first date was perfect. He took me down the road to the drive-in movie theater and we watched an old black and white film that I forget the title of. After that, he took me to a park down by the river where we walked together, holding hands. He turned me to face him, held one of my hands in each of his and pulled me closer to him. When we were pressed flush against each other, he leaned in to me and kissed me slowly. It was a soft, gently, sweet kiss that I could’ve died with happiness afterwards. It was perfect.

Unfortunately, it had to end. He took me home, kissed me goodnight and went home. I went upstairs, a happy, content teenage girl. Sure, my mom was in a cancer ward across the country and Genesee was nowhere to be seen and I’d almost been raped by a guy I trusted. But Rhys was just that damn good.

It didn’t last though, the happy content feeling vanished the next night. Rhys had to take Lydia to a few appointments the next day after our date so I went on my daily run by myself. It wasn’t as hot out as it normally was, so I decided to go at just after noon. I put on my Nike shorts and a loose fitting tank top over my sports bra, tied my hair back and stretched on the lawn. After finishing that, I put my shoes on, tucked Rondo into the waistband of my shorts and started off. I enjoy running, for a reason I will never know. I took my normal route, expecting nothing out of the ordinary. I was wrong.

I was just past the redneck psycho’s house when Kellen pulled up beside me. I stopped and was frozen in spot. I couldn’t move, I was scared. He stepped out of the car and walked around slowly and calmly. I backed up a few steps and pulled an earbud out of my ear.

“What do you want?” I asked, my voice breaking. Kellen’s mouth turned upwards on one edge, into a sadistic smirk.

“You, Kiernan. It’s what I’ve wanted since we met. You. Is that so much to ask for? What I did was in my past. You should’ve accepted that. But that pretty boy, Rhys had to plant the idea in your head that I’m dangerous. I’m not,” he periodically took steps towards me. I felt helpless. I pulled Rondo out and turned it off, wrapping the headphone chord around the body slowly. I didn’t want to alarm Kellen. I did everything slowly and as if there was no hurry. I tucked the music player into my pocket in my shorts.

“Kellen, you’re scaring me. If you’re not dangerous,” I started to say. He cut me off.

“I’M NOT DANGEROUS!” he snarled, advancing even quicker towards me. My heart thudded wildly in my chest.

“Alright, alright, you’re not dangerous. But please, you’re scaring me,” I said, somehow managing to keep the intonation in my voice even and steady.

“You should be with me!” he snapped.

“Maybe that’s how it seems to you, Kellen. But, I love Rhys,” I said to him. He looked even angrier and his steps quickened towards me. I let out a frightened squeak. He grabbed my arm in one hand and backhanded me with the other. My head snapped to the side from the force of the blow. I whimpered only slightly. It stung, but I expected that.

“You watch your mouth, you dirty skank,” he hissed, pulling me in close. I tried to step away but the grip on my arm was too tight.

“Kellen, stop. You’re hurting me. Please,” I begged, pushing at his chest. He snarled, a wild and animalistic sound that tore out of his mouth. He released my arm, only to shove me into the grass beside the road. He smirked and drew his foot back. I closed my eyes, not wanting to see what was about to happen next. He kicked me in the ribs, not once but twice. I cried out, trying to crawl away. He grabbed my ponytail and yanked me back. I swung my arms desperately, trying to hit him. He laughed and muttered under his breath something about me being pitiful. I curled up and hid my ribs from his shoe. His shoe connected with my shoulder, dislocating it. Cries came from my mouth, until Kellen’s shoe connected with my jaw, snapping my head to the side.

He dropped down so he was knelt beside me. I pleaded with him, staring up into his dark brown eyes. They held no remorse.

“You know, Kiernan, we could’ve been in love. A power couple, if you will. But no, you’re throwing it all away for Rhys!”

I glared at him, “Rhys is more of a man than you will ever be!”

“Keep your mouth shut, you filthy whore.”

I shivered and he punched me, hard in the cheek. Everything hurt so I couldn’t even care what he was doing anymore. Tears slipped from my eyes as he grabbed my hair and dragged me to the line of trees at the side of the road.

“One more thing, bitch,” he said softly. He stood up and winked at me, before landing another kick, right on my nose. Something cracked and I felt blood gushing from my nostrils.
I moaned in pain, turning my head away from him. He grabbed my arm and began dragging me again. I looked up at the house, and started to cry. It was the redneck psycho’s house, the one where Rhys and I almost died.

“Don’t, Kellen. Please, don’t,” I sobbed. He tucked me into a divot behind bushes.

“You deserve this, bitch.”

He walked away, leaving me there. I couldn’t move, I didn’t want to. It hurt too much. I was going to die there. And as long as I didn’t have to move, I was fine with it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry! Don't be mad at me. It had to happen.
:(
Comment, please.

xoxo,
Your Backroad Eyes