A Devilish Grin

01

She stared deep into the blue eyes looking back at her. They seemed distant, yet bright at the same time. Long dark brown hair framed her face, pushed back with a blue headband. Freckles dotted her nose, and a dimple graced her chin. She was pretty, but nowhere near as gorgeous as some people she knew. Kalie took a deep breath as her fingers brushed down at her short black dress.

This was going to be her last shindig before she got the hell out of this town. After twenty-two long years, it was overdue. She was moving all the way across country, to Los Angeles. Boxes littered the room behind her as she stood in front of the mirror, contemplating her reflection. Kal wasn’t sure who was holding this party, nor did she really care. All she wanted was one more night of reckless abandon.

It had always been like that though. Just one more night, she constantly told her best friend, Brie. One more night always turned into a couple, and then a few, until it was an everyday occurrence. Kalie knew that one day, her partying would catch up to her. It always did with people. But that thought was always pushed back into the deep recesses of her mind. Getting drunk and possibly hooking up with someone was the highlight of her young life these days. Perhaps if she had parents growing up, things would be different. But they had left her on her aunt and uncle’s doorstep when she was five, and they hadn’t wanted her either. Instead of sending her off to foster care, they opted to ignore her all her life. It could’ve been worse, she supposed. She could’ve been completely homeless, or with strangers. At least they had been family, despite the fact that they had never really acted like it.

Deciding that she was ready, Kalie grabbed her purse, locked up her little apartment, and left. She had heard about the party from a guy that she had slept with many months before when she ran across him at the grocery store. That had been an extremely awkward situation, seeing as she had never called him after that night, nor did she ever intend to. He had invited her tonight, and though she was going, it wasn’t for him.

The party was already hopping by the time she got there. Music thumped through the speakers placed haphazardly in the living room. Nearly a hundred people filled the medium-sized house, cups in their hands as they moved to the rhythm. Kal smiled, knowing already that this was going to be a good one. She pushed her way into the kitchen and grabbed herself a cup of whatever it was they were serving. She didn’t really care. Alcohol was all the same to her. It made her lose all inhibitions regardless of what it was made of, or what it was called. Kalie downed it as she stood in front of the counter, and then requested another.

As it was handed to her, an arm draped across her shoulder. She turned to find a pair of beautiful brown eyes, paired with a great smile. “Hey gorgeous,” he said. He smelled strongly of alcohol, and by the way he was leaning on her made her think that he was already pretty far gone. Kal smiled back, taking another deep pull of her drink.

This was it. He was going to be the last, she knew it in that instant. “Well, hello to you too,” she replied, her voice low as she looked at him from beneath her lashes. The art of seduction was always something she knew how to do very well. It came naturally to her, and she used it to her advantage whenever she could.

He pulled her close, breathing into her ear. “Come here often?” he asked, his lips tickling her skin.

Kalie couldn’t help but laugh. He seemed to be really pulling out all the stops. “Only when there are gorgeous men like you around,” she purred, winking at him before downing her second cup. After just two, she was already feeling the effects. Her fingertips were numb, and the floor felt like it was moving the tiniest bit. Whatever they put in that punch was damn good.

“I’m Alex,” he said, resting both of his hands on her hips.

She encircled her arms around his neck, pulling him close. “Kalie,” she breathed, before sliding her hands down his shoulders, taking his hands into her own and pulling him around, leading him out of the kitchen, a devilish smile on her face.

“Where are we going?” he asked, smiling slyly in return.

“It’s a surprise,” she said with a laugh, pulling him up the stairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Work in progress, yo!