A Devilish Grin

02

She hadn’t had a hangover in quite some time. As her eyes fluttered open, she realized that this morning would be just the same as the others. He was next to her, naked beneath the blankets. One arm rested across his forehead. The other was tucked beneath her neck, holding her close. He looked peaceful, and a half smile pulled his lips up just a little bit. Kalie smiled, resisting the urge to brush some of his hair back from his face. He was beautiful. She had sometimes picked some hideous men to stay the night with, but Alex was far from ugly. If she had been someone else, with a different style of life, she might even be willing to be faithful to a guy as beautiful as he was.

But of course, she wasn’t. Slowly and carefully, she eased herself out of the bed and pulled her clothes on. Kal pulled her brush out of her purse and ran it through her hair a few times before heading out, closing the door silently behind her. She weaved through passed out bodies, empty containers, and throw up, until she made her way towards the kitchen. She cleared off a spot on the counter and placed her purse there and began digging through the fridge. She highly doubted that anyone would mind if she made herself some eggs. Her flight left in a few hours, and this was the easiest way to get breakfast.

Kalie found a skillet and cracked a few eggs in them. Halfway through cooking, she heard footsteps in the hall, and then Alex rounded the corner, just as surprised to see her as she was to see him. They stared at each other for a few seconds, unsure of what to say after the night that they had had. Kal cleared her throat and grabbed two bowls, dishing some eggs out into each. “Breakfast?” she asked quietly, holding it out to him. It was extremely awkward for her. This never happened. She was usually up and gone before they ever woke, and then she was completely out of their life forever. Everything seemed to contradict with this guy.

He stared for a few more seconds, unblinking, before finally taking the offered food. The table somehow managed to stay relatively clean and free of drunken bodies, so they sat at either ends of the square, eating silently. Finally, he spoke. “Um. About last night…”

She cut him off, waving a hand with a smile. “Don’t worry about it.”

Alex rubbed at the back of his neck nervously before sighing, going back to his eggs. Kal picked at her own, pushing them around with her fork.

“Do you believe in love at first sight?”

Kal couldn’t help but snort in laughter at his question, rolling her eyes. “I don’t believe in love at all. It’s just…it’s something that humans made up to make some of their actions okay. Love isn’t real.”

His eyes went hard as he looked at her, his jaw clenched. For some reason, she felt like she had said the wrong thing, and it tore at her chest. Underneath his scrutinizing gaze, she felt extremely uncomfortable. Kal quickly finished her eggs and placed the bowl in the sink, grabbing her purse. She couldn’t seem to bring her eyes back towards him. “Um. Thanks for last night. See you around,” she said quietly, before leaving the house, not taking a second to look back.

--

He watched her go, feeling an indescribable pang in his chest. He wasn’t sure what it was about her that had him feeling the way he was, but he had known since the moment he had met her that there was something more to her. He had been drunk enough to sleep with her, but not drunk enough to think it was the alcohol making him think that it was more than just a one night stand. Alex peered at his half eaten eggs. She had made him breakfast. After last night, she had gotten up and made eggs, offering him some. He shook his head. She was different.

When he had asked her that question, about love, he hadn’t expected her response. Most girls he knew fell in love more often than they changed their underwear. He wasn’t sure if it was true love, or just infatuation, but the truth of the fact was, it happened. For her to just not even believe in love…it was shocking. Though he had just met her, his feelings for her were strong. Last night, when he had peered into her blue eyes, he had felt something in the pit of her stomach, almost like butterflies.

Alex knew in that moment that he had to find her again. He had to see her, to tell her what he was feeling. He wanted her to know that it wasn’t just a quick, drunken, one night stand. He stood abruptly, and leaving the eggs right where they were, left the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Only one or two more chapters. :D