Fall in Love Again

1/1

In Andrew's mind, it had been far too long since he and his long-time girlfriend, Bridget, had seen each other. Andrew had spent the entire hockey season in Chicago, while Bridget decided to stay in British Columbia, the home place for both of them.

Andrew and Bridget had grown up together in Maple Ridge, with Andrew living next door to Bridget's grandmother, while Bridget lived on the other side of the city. However, she spent more time than not at her grandmother's house since both of her parents worked during the day. This was especially true during the summers, and Andrew and Bridget had formed a tight friendship during those days.

Even with Andrew traveling all over the place for hockey, they still remained friends, and when Andrew had learned that Bridget didn't have anyone to go to prom with, he had come back to Maple Ridge specifically just to take her to prom. That was the first night they had kissed, and soon after, they began dating each other.

That was nearly seven years ago, and the two of them were still together, though they didn't see each other nearly as much as they used to. It was times like these that Andrew wondered if Bridget would be better off with some other guy, someone who would be there for her at all times, not just during the summertime when hockey was out of season.

As he stepped into the familiar yard of Bridget's parents' house, where he knew she was currently staying at, he heard Bridget's voice coming from the back yard. He started to make his way back there, when he heard a man's voice before he heard laughter coming from the two of them. He furrowed his eyebrows as he slowed his pace, seemingly creeping around the side of the house, wanting to see who she was talking to.

Standing there was a handsome-looking man who appeared to be in his mid-twenties, and Bridget had her hand on his arm, trying to hold herself up as she had tears in her eyes from laughing so hard. Andrew stayed back a little ways, just watching the two of them for a few moments.

He'd always loved Bridget's laugh, telling her it was his favorite thing about her, as it was so contagious. She had her full focus on this man, who Andrew tried to figure out if he recognized or not. The man was only paying attention to her as well, and Andrew started to wonder if something was going on between the two of them before he mentally slapped himself for even considering that. Bridget would never do something like that to him, and he knew that. If she ever did fall for another man, Andrew was sure she'd at least have the courtesy to break up with Andrew first before she resorted to cheating on him.

As if in slow motion, Andrew watched as Bridget turned her head around and her eyes fell upon him. She instantly stopped laughing and let go of the man's arm before she ran over to Andrew, jumping into his arms, as Andrew wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Andrew!" she yelled, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him deeply. At that moment, Andrew forgot about the man she was previously with, along with every other thought that had been going through his mind, as it turned to complete mush as he kissed Bridget. As the man behind them cleared his throat, the two of them separated, and Andrew gently put Bridget back down on the ground.

"Stephen," the man introduced himself, extending his hand out for Andrew, who took it and shook it.

"Andrew," he replied.

"Stephen's a family friend," Bridget filled in. "Andrew's my boyfriend," she continued before turning around towards Andrew. "When did you get back in town?" she asked him. "Why didn't you tell me you were coming back? I mean, sure, I knew you'd be back soon, but I didn't know it'd be today. I would have met you at the airport or…"

"Bridg," Andrew cut her off. "Don't worry about it. I'm here now, aren't I? And, that's all the matters," he smiled at her, and she nodded her head, wrapping her arms around his waist and hugging him. As Andrew rested his chin on the top of her head, he saw Stephen staring at the two of them, a look of disgust on his face.

They heard someone calling Bridget's name, and she let go, turning towards the house. "That's Tori," she said, referring to her sister. "I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere," she ordered Andrew.

"Wouldn't dream of it," he smiled, watching as his girlfriend walked towards the house.

"So, you're the nonexistent boyfriend?" Andrew heard Stephen say, and he turned his head towards him, cocking his head to the side. "I mean, Bridget's talked about you before, but I just assumed she'd made you up to play hard to get. You're never around," he stated, and it was obvious he disliked Andrew from the start.

"I play hockey in Chicago, so I don't get to come home very often during the season, only for the summer," Andrew explained.

"Don't you think that's a little unfair for Bridget?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You said yourself, you're gone all the time. Why should Bridget be going out with someone like that when she could have someone that could be there for her all the time, someone like me. I mean, her family loves me, and I've got plenty of money to keep her happy. And, I'm here. Unlike you."

Andrew opened his mouth to respond when he heard Bridget's voice calling out from the house. "Andrew! Come inside! Tori wants to see you!"

"You know I'm right," Stephen said as Andrew walked off towards the house.

"Hey, Andrew!" Tori said when she saw him, walking over to give him a hug. "Long time no see!"

"Yeah," he said, quickly hugging her back. Tori was Bridget's younger sister by three years, but the two of them were extremely close.

"You hungry?" Tori asked. "We've got some food in the kitchen. Bridg is in there now," she added, and Andrew made his way towards the kitchen. He gathered himself some food and sat down to eat, as Bridget sat down next to him.

"Andrew, is everything alright?" she asked him. "You've been a little quiet," she told him as he took a bite out of his sandwich.

"Yeah, fine," he said.

"Are you sure? Did I do something wrong?" she asked.

"No, Bridg, I'm fine," he smiled at her. "I promise," he lied.

"Okay," she told him. "I'm glad you're back, though. I've missed you."

"I've missed you, too," Andrew replied.

He continued eating in silence until Bridget got up, saying she was going to head out to the backyard again and for him to join her whenever he was finished eating. He nodded his head, continuing to eat as Tori sat down across from him. "So, what's your deal?" she asked him.

"Huh?"

"Something's on your mind. If I can tell, it's only a matter of time til Bridget realizes it. So, what is it?" Tori asked.

"This Stephen guy, what do you think of him?" Andrew asked, avoiding her question part-way.

"Stephen?" Tori asked for clarification, and Andrew nodded his head. "He's kind of a pompous jackass if you ask me. He's all over Bridget, even though she's told him time and time again that she's with you. Wait a minute!" Tori exclaimed, realization coming over her. "Is that what's bothering you? Stephen?"

"Kind of," Andrew admitted.

"Why?" Tori questioned.

"He just said some things to me that kind of made sense."

"Like what?" Tori asked.

"Like Bridget would be better off without me. I'm gone all the time, so it's not like we're together three-quarters of the year anyways. Maybe he would be better off with her than I am," he muttered, more to himself than to Tori.

"Is that really what you think?" Andrew heard Bridget say from behind him, and he quickly spun around in his chair to see her standing there, her blue eyes wide and her arms crossed over her chest.

"Bridget," Andrew began.

"You think I'm better off with Stephen than with you?" she questioned. "Andrew, you're the one that I love, I thought you knew that. I mean, we've been together for seven years! And, now you think that I'm better off with someone else? You know better than that! You know that I belong with you!"

"Like you said, Bridget, we've been together for seven years. And, I'm not even around for over half the year. Don't you get sick of it?" he asked. He'd thought about it in the past, about how much she had to suffer since he wasn't around all the time, but it wasn't until Stephen had brought it up that he'd actually thought that she might just be better off without him.

"Andrew," Bridget sighed. "Every single time you come home, and I see you, I fall in love with you all over again. Yes, it's been seven years, but nothing's changed. I still love you as much today as I did when you took me to prom. All you've got to do is look at me, and I get weak in the knees. I love you, and only you. No one can make me as happy as you do. Even if you're not here all the time," she smiled at him.

"I love you, too, Bridget," he said, standing up and kissing her deeply.

"See, I just fell in love with you all over again," she told him, smiling brightly up at him.