Status: Complete

Soldier's Coming Home

One

Beeep, Beeep, Beeep.
The sounds of my princess alarm clock filled my ears. I grabbed my blankets, pulling their warmth over my head to black the racket. I threw off my covers and shut off my alarm as I remembered the reason for this early rise.

Today was the day.

Mommy had laid out my best clothes on my dresser the night before and told me how special today would be. I slipped on my Sunday dress and sandals, then pranced down the stairs where Mommy had my breakfast ready. An hour later, my tummy is full and Mommy’s making my hair pretty. She says I can’t wear make-up, not even today.

Today was the day.

Mommy puts me in my booster seat and we drive away from the house. The drive is long, but it’s worth it. I watch cartoons as we pass many tall buildings. The scenery changes from fields, to small towns, to big cities. We pull into the airport and head towards what Mommy calls the terminal. Inside were lots of people walking so fast, it seems as if they are running. Some of them are.

Today was the day.

There were lots of stores that lined the walls, many were closed, and some were just opening. Mommy says we have a couple of hours to kill. That made me wonder, how does one kill time? She buys me a picture book once the bookstore opens to keep me busy, so I can “kill the time.”

Today was the day.

An invisible voice speaks from the ceiling. Mommy’s eyes light up and she takes my hand. She rushes us down the terminal, practically dragging me. She’s as excited as me. We stand at the end of a long hallway. I wonder how long we’ll be there for. People begin to emerge and walk towards us. Mommy holds her breath.

Today was the day.

Then we saw him. He stood at the other end of the corridor dressed in green camouflage with a duffel bag slung over his shoulder. People passed him and walked around him eager to meet loved ones or catch their next flight, but not him. He just stood there with tears in his eyes staring back at us. He looked older and had a few gray hairs on his head.

Today was the day.

Some tears fell from my own eyes as I ripped my hand from Mommy’s and darted toward him, arms outreached. I thought Mommy would have held me back or told me to wait, but she was running right behind me. I jumped into the man’s arms, sobbing. Mommy wrapped her arms around both of us and said, “Welcome home, Soldier.”
He kissed Mommy’s head and tightened his around me as I whispered to him.
“I missed you, Daddy.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts?