He Won't Be Coming Home

To Hear Your Voice

Image

After that day of patrolling that quickly turned into a nightmare, it was easy to see why I was wary of going back out there. What was left of my troop was never informed of who made the mistake and at what level their position was, and I highly doubted we ever would. All I knew was that someone, somewhere, had made a detrimental mistake, and it cost us our captain and half of the men I had come to know. The families of ten different men had to be informed of their loss, and I could only imagine how it would be taken back at their homes.

As for the rest of us, we were asigned a new captain, just as cold and unrelenting as the last, and had a whole handful of new men living in our bunk room. Crazy how one day could change the lives of so many.

But time moved on, just like it always had and always would.

"You've got mail," Tom said as he walked between our bunks, dropping an envelope down onto my stomach. I smiled as I picked it up, reading Jay's ever-familiar writing on the front before opening the envelope. When I pulled out the letter, I felt that there was something a little thicker in with it. Unfolding the paper, a photo tumbled out into my lap. Before even looking at the photo, I knew what it was going to be of. And my thoughts were right.

Staring down at the photo, I was met with my son, wrapped in a blanket. He was beautiful, and the thought of him being alive brought a stinging to my eyes before tears welled up.

"What, is that a picture of your wife?" Tom asked quietly and I shook my head, wiping my tears away with a broad smile etched on my lips.

"No... it's my son," I answered.

"Can I see it?"

"Yeah," I said, handing the photo to him before taking the letter in my hands.

Dear Matt,

As you can tell from that photo, you're now the father of a new little boy. He was six pounds, seven ounces, and twenty-one inches. Spitting image of Alex, isn't he?

I decided to name him Matthew Charles, after you, obviously. I don't know why I picked that, but it was the first thing hat came toy mind when they asked for a name. I just hope that he grows up to make me as proud as you have. Because I am proud of you, Matt. I'm proud to say that you are my husband and the father of my children. I'm proud of every single good thing you have ever done, straight from the moment we met.

Needless to say, things at home are hectic as ever now with Matthew home. Sarah's doing a lot better; I think I was able to finally talk some sense into her the other day. As hard as it is to say, I think it's time we all finally lay to rest the thought of Zacky's death. It'll be tough, but I think it has to be done in order for any of us, especially Sarah, to move on with our lives. I know as well as you do that Zack wouldn't want us to mourn over him forever. He would want us to get back to our lives, doing the things we always do and being as happy as we can be.

I don't have much time, what with Jr. and Alex to look after, to write as long of a letter as I would like to, but I promise that I will write you again, as soon as I an. I still love you with all my heart, and I can't wait to hear from you.

All my Love,

Jayvee


I folded up the letter, wiping more stray tears from my cheeks as I took the photo from Tom.
"Well damn. Congratulations, Matt," he commended, clapping a hand on my shoulder. "What say you get a phone call home in honor of this special occasion? I'm sure it can be arranged."

"I say hell fuckin' yeah to that," I laughed.

Not much later I stood at the phones, my finger shakily dialing the numbers I needed to put in before my own home number. My heart was pounding with the prospect of getting to hear Jay's voice again and I waited, hearing the ringing on the other end. It continued for a few minutes before finally picking up.

"Hey," I heard Jay's voice answer.

"Jayvee?" I asked into the phone, but I was abruptly cut off.

"You've reached the Sanders residence. We can't come to the phone right now, but if you leave your name, number, and a brief message, we'll get back to you as soon as possible," her voice came out through the recording, and I felt my heart steadily drop, the hope of getting to finally talk to her slowly ebbing away. I heard the beep go off at the end, and thought that I should at least leave a message.

"Hey... it's Matt. I was just calling to let you know that I got the letter and the picture of Matt Jr. today..." I said, trailing off with a sigh, not knowing what to say to a silly machine. "I guess I'll try and call ag-"

"Matt!?" I heard Jay's voice cut me off, followed by movement on the other end, and instantly the smile was back on my face. "Is that really you?" she asked eagerly. I let out a little chuckle before answering.

"Yeah baby. It's me."

"Oh God, it's so good to hear your voice again. What's it been, six months or so?"

"...Somethin' like that. Did you just get home?" I asked, wondering why she didn't pick up at the beginning of the call.

"No, but I was feeding Matty when the phone rang and then Alex was being difficult. I was afraid you were going to hang up before I got there in time," I heard her sweet voice explain.

"Oh... so he gets my nicknames too?" I joked, the smile growing on my face the longer I got to talk to her.

She giggled. "Yes Matty... he gets your nickname too. I missed getting to say it to you all the time. So is everything alright? Everything's going okay?" she asked, sounding breathless.

"Yeah, it's alright. Been a few mistakes made but... What can you do?" I said, not wanting to alarm her with my tale of the unexpected bombing. She till sounded a bit breathless.

"Babe, are you alright? You sound winded..." I asked, concerned.

"I'm fine, your son is just heavy is all."

"Who, Alex?"

"No.. Matt Jr., silly... I'd never be able to lift Alex with one hand, are you kidding?" she asked with a light tone of humor in her voice. She sounded just like she always had.

"Is Alex around?" I then asked, wanting to talk to him after not seeing him for nine months, almost ten.

"Yeah, hold on a sec..." Jay answered, and I heard her yell for him as she pulled the phone away from her. "Your father is on the phone. He wants you to come talk to him!" she called, and shortly thereafter I heard the small voice of my eldest boy.

"Dad?!" he screeched into the phone, and I laughed.

"Yeah Alex."

"Daddy I miss you," he said, and I could jus see the pout on his lips. I wondered if he had grown any taller in the months that I hadn't seen him, wondered if he'd changed in any way.

"I miss you too," I sighed, leaning against the wall, looking down at my feet.

"When are you coming home?" he asked very quietly, and I sighed again.

"I don't know, bud, but I hope it's soon..." I trailed off, feeling the pain in my heart from
homesickness growing. I looked up as the communications officer of the barracks came down the hall toward me, signaling with a tap on his watch that I only had a short time left on the phone.

"Daddy's gotta go now, Alex. Can you put your mom back on, please?" I asked slowly, dreading for the call to be over.

"Yeah. I love you Dad." I sniffled as I wiped away a tear.

"I love you too, Alex."

Seconds later I was greeted with Jay's voice again. I sighed deeply after she called my
name.

"I have to get going... they don't give us much time on these things, but I love you and I miss you, Jay. I really do."

"I know you do, Matt. I love you and miss you too. You come home safe to me, you hear?" she ordered, and I could hear the sadness in her voice.

"I will. I promise."