Rome and Julie

Chapter 10

“This is my favorite part.” I whispered to Rome beside me, afraid that if I spoke too loud, it would shatter the beautiful voice of Ewan McGregor. When he started singing Your Song, I found that a smile automatically slid onto my face. “This is amazing.” I whispered again, pulling me knees up to my chest, hugging them, my chin resting on them.

“It’s amazing…” Rome said, and I looked over towards him in surprise, thinking that he was talking about the movie. But instead of looking at the screen, he was looking at me, a glint in his eyes.

“What is?”

“You.” He paused starting to grin. “It’s amazing that I can see the bliss in your eyes and on your face, just when you’re watching a movie.” Immediately, embarrassed, I felt my face grow hot and my cheeks started to blush. “Is it the concept that makes you so happy, or the man’s voice. Or, perhaps, his looks?”

“Shhh…” I said, turning my face back towards the screen. “We’re missing the movie.” I grumbled, now conscious of how my reaction was to the movie. I heard Rome chuckle, but he said no more. Actually, the rest of the movie, there was no conversation, only silence as the beautiful but heartbreaking plotline played out on the screen.

“What’d you think?” I asked after the movie was over, attempting to put that weird conversation behind us.

“It was fine. The songs weren’t the best in the world, but… it was fi—”

“The songs weren’t the best in the world?!” I exclaimed, thoroughly shocked. “You’re insane, Rome Madden.”

“No, Juliet. You are insane for enjoying the movie to such an extent that you’re—”

“Okay, whatever. Now what should we watch next?” There was a silence from us both, the only sound coming from the continual buzz of the fridge in the kitchen. As I mentally ran through the movies in the house, Rome leaned back against the couch, in a slouched position, that looked totally and utterly un-Rome-like. When his eyes closed, I realized then that he hadn’t gotten much sleep last night, on account of my calling him, and when we got home, he didn’t go to sleep like me. Rome was exhausted. “How about I put in The Phantom of the Opera?” I said, knowing that if he didn’t love Moulin Rouge, he wouldn’t love The Phantom of the Opera. Hopefully, if I was correct, he’d fall asleep.

“Sounds like a plan.” Rome said, his eyes never once opening. I smiled at him, truly thankful that my best friend was willing to get up early in the morning and stay with me. I got off the couch, moving towards our rack of movies. It took only a few seconds for me to find the movie, then to put it in. I slowly made my way back towards the couch, watching Rome. His eyes were open now, but only barely, and he was watching me.

“Should I trust your judgment in movies?” Rome managed in a normal voice, although I knew he was trying hard not to sound tired.

“I think you should.” I said, plopping down beside him, pulling my legs underneath my body.

“Why is that?” Rome asked as I was going to the main menu of the movie.

“Well… You and I are getting married, Romeo. You’re gonna have to learn to watch what I like, and like it, too.”

“Oh really?” I pressed play on the remote, set it in my lap, and looked over to Rome, a smile set on my lips.

“Really.” The movie started, and it was in black and white, showing the theatre, and the auction. They were selling items that were found in the opera house.

As the movie continued, I knew Rome had fallen asleep. I got off the couch to get him a blanket from the closet, and draped the afghan over his sleeping body. He stirred only slightly. I sat down beside him, closer than before. Rome was a great guy. Why wouldn’t he kiss me, then? Even if it were a kind of charity case, which I would never want, I knew he’d kiss me, since it was just a kiss.

“Why won’t you kiss me, Rome?” I whispered, bringing my hand up to brush his hair back. “Why won’t you treat me like your wife?” After a few minutes, I pulled my hand away and scooted farther away from him. Whatever his reason, it had to be a good one, because Rome was a smart man. He was defying his parents in every way possible, by not going ahead and being ‘in love’ with me.

As I stared out our front window, into the falling sunset, I realized with a sudden surprise that I was acting completely like a child. A kiss? Really? As I assessed the information, and put myself in a completely third-party outsider‘s position, if I saw someone like myself, getting upset over never being kissed, I would call her immature and obviously focused on the wrong things.

I sighed, leaning into Rome’s side. I was completely fine being just friends with Rome. In fact, I’d prefer it that way, over what his parents wanted. Rome might as well have been my brother, and I was his younger sister, whom he was protective and slightly loving towards.

When I agreed to the marriage, the purpose was to make my life simple and get marriage out of the way and focus on the company. But all the agreement seemed to do was to make everything complicated. Why must everything have the opposite effect of the intention?

I felt Rome’s arm go around my shoulders, and I smiled, knowing that he was comforting me in a way he didn’t even know. My heart was calmed by the fact that I knew we were both on the same side. Neither of us really wanted to complicate the company by outside marriages with outside people, but we didn’t exactly want to marry each other either. Sure, we didn’t mind. It wasn’t as though marrying Rome was torture. In fact, I was sure many girls would kill to be engaged to Rome Madden. It just felt… wrong.

I continued staring at the setting sun, and all its wondrous colors and beauty, and soon I felt my eyes beginning to fall. May it be my comfortable position against Rome’s side or the gorgeous view, I was suddenly tired.

Before I let my eyes fall completely and stay shut, I said a quick prayer, hoping with every fiber of my being that things would all work out. With Robert, and with Rome and I.

I woke with a start, first off feeling the layer of sweat that covered my forehead. I remember I had a nightmare, but I couldn’t remember what it was about. I then realized that I was curled against Rome’s side, and I heard someone rummaging through stuff in the kitchen. Slowly, I pulled out from under Rome’s arm, getting off the couch to see if Maggie was home.

Sure enough, when I was in the threshold of the kitchen, Maggie’s back was facing me. She was leaning over the counter, her head sagged, her sobs barely audible.

“Aunt Maggie?” I whispered, my eyebrows pulling down. I approached her, wrapping my arms around her small frame. She paused, but didn’t stop crying completely. I started getting worried. What was wrong with Robert? After a while, Maggie’s sobs finally died down, and she turned towards me.

“Your uncle has Coronary Artery Disease.” I could tell she was struggling to keep her composure. Her face, looking years older than it really was, looked tired, worn, and swollen from crying.

“That can be treated if he changes his lifestyle. There’s medicines out there, too, Mags. I’m sure we can find—”

“It’s the money that’s a problem.” Maggie said, looking at the floor, completely ashamed. I shook my head at her.

“Maggie, listen. I’m going to ask you to do something. For me, Robert, and you.” I paused, waiting for her to look up again. “Please take any money Rome offers.”

“Julie, we can manage perfectly fine without his help—”

“Maggie, no we can’t. Rome has plenty than enough money. He wants to help. Please let him. And I can’t help but feel our financial canyon we’re in is my fault. Put my guilty conscience to rest, Aunt Maggie. Take Rome’s money.” Maggie’s eyes filled up with tears, and she wrapped her arms around herself.

“Rome is younger than Robert and I. To have him give us money is a disgrace. Robert would not allow it—”

“Robert could die!” I interrupted her, immediately lowering my head after my outburst. I cleared my throat. “If you don’t take Rome’s money, you won’t be supporting yourself. You’ll be bringing yourself down. And Robert. Rome’s only trying to help. He doesn’t see himself as better than you or Robert. It’s okay to accept some help sometimes. It only means other people care.”

With that, I turned and left the kitchen, my temper flaring. Maggie was doing this to herself. She was keeping herself in lower finance and debts, when she could easily get out. When I went into the living room, I sat beside Rome, who was starting to wake up a bit.

“What’s with all the yelling?” Rome asked, sitting up. I pulled my knees to my chest, wrapping my arms around my legs. I stayed silent for a few moments, then decided I should answer, since the conversation was kind of about him.

“Robert has CAD.” I said, looking at the pattern of the carpet. “And… Maggie’s worried because there’s not enough money for treatment and hospital bill and such. She won’t take any of your money, Rome, and it’s really starting to piss me off.” I huffed, looking over to see his reaction. He was rubbing sleep out of his eyes, but he also looked sad.

“Jules, it’s a pride thing. They’re too proud to accept my help.”

“Even when Robert’s life is at stake?” There was a silence that followed, and I knew Maggie could hear us, and was most likely listening. I didn’t care at the moment. “Rome, can you help me with my homework?” I asked, wanting to get away from Maggie, but not far enough to leave her alone. Rome agreed, getting up to lead us to my room. “I don’t want to be eighteen. Adults are stupid—no offense—when it comes to little things. May it be money, relationships, business..” I trailed off, rolling my eyes as we walked into my room. I closed the door behind me, contemplating whether or not I should lock it. I decided not.

“Julie, you’ll understand when you’re older.” I froze, narrowing my eyes at Rome’s back as he made his way to sit on my bed. When he did, he saw my face, and sighed. “Don’t look so offended. It’s true.”

“I can’t believe you just used that line on me. Rome, you’re barely three years older than me.” I reminded myself that Rome’s birthday was coming up, and I needed to get him something. Actually, his birthday was the day after Christmas. “You’ll understand when you’re older? Really?” I crossed my arms over my chest, raising and eyebrow at his amused expression.

“I didn’t know age was such a touchy subject for you.” He bit his lower lip in attempt to not laugh, and as much as I hated to admit, it was a cute look for him. “Julie, please take your anger down a few levels. I didn’t mean to offend you.” I rolled my eyes, walking over to my bed. I grabbed my Calculus book off of my nightstand, sitting down on the bed.

“Maggie didn’t explain very well when talking about—” And so we started on my Calculus homework. Rome easily explained to me what Maggie couldn’t, and I had to admit, Rome was a good teacher. I couldn’t believe he’d gone to school only three years ago. He seemed so much smarter and mature.

“Thanks.” I said after I had, with Rome’s help, finished my homework. It felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Me, Rome, and all my books and papers were strewn all across my bed. Rome’s tie was loosened after he realized that helping me would take over an hour. “Ever since we vacationed, it seems I can’t do anything when it comes to schoolwork.”

“Julie, you knew every single one of those problems. I just assisted in your process of figuring them out.” Rome smiled. “You’re very smart, you know.” Confused, I smiled a little at him, letting that be my answer, for I didn’t know how to speak for a moment.

Afterwards, I got my cell phone, and started calling my friends, inviting them to the Christmas party at the Maddens’. I gave them directions, the date, and what they should wear. Which reminded me, after I was finished, I need to grab Rome’s credit card and get a gorgeous Christmas ball gown. I wanted a dress with a poofy bottom, for last year, I wore a dress that went straight down, and Mrs. Madden commented on the simplicity of it. And it wasn’t a compliment.

“Rome, can I go shopping for a dress?” I asked, looking up at my ceiling. I had just finished inviting Sydney, who was super excited, and said she’d find a way to make it.

“Sure. Do you want to go today?” I shrugged. After a few moments of silence, I sat up, looking around my room.

“I think I need to clean my room.”

“You think?” Rome said, obviously amused. I smiled at him, aware of how he got my mind of Robert and Maggie for a while. “Jules, let’s get out of here.”

“Huh?”

“You need to get away from your problems for a while. And yes, I know you believe facing them is the best, but for now, please, just get away.” I stared a Rome for a while, unsure of what to say next. I didn’t want to run away like a coward. I needed to face Maggie, tell her to just take Rome’s money. I needed to see Robert, and tell him I love him, and that I was thankful for everything he’s ever done for me. I didn’t need to run away. “At least go find a dress. Please. For me.”

I ran a hand down my face. I was sick of being stressed out.

“Fine.” I got off the bed, followed by Rome, going to my desk to grab my purse. As I turned to follow Rome out the door, a picture caught my attention. Rome and I were leaning against the railing on the back porch. I remember the sun was just setting, and Rome had just made a joke about one of the clients we had. Maggie decided to take a picture as we were laughing, and the result was a truly amazing photograph.

“Jules?” Rome’s voice tore my gaze away from his smile in the picture, and towards the door of my room. “You coming?”

“Yeah. Sorry.” I shook my head to erase any foreign thoughts, focusing on the present task that was at hand. For a moment, I couldn’t remember why I was currently following Rome out my room, then out my front door. Then I remembered. Oh. The dress.

In Rome’s car, I snuggled into the winter jacket I’d grabbed before walking out the front door. It was seriously cold outside, and my jeans and long sleeved shirt wasn’t fit for the weather. It had snowed the night before. I just didn’t notice earlier, on account of Robert’s situation.

My breath fogged up the glass, and I was starting to get a brain freeze from my temple resting on the window. Finally, with a sigh, I pulled away from the window, staring straight ahead and the gray road, which was starting to get littered in white. It was snowing again.

“Maybe it’ll finally be a white Christmas.” Rome said, referring to how the last white Christmas we had was ten years ago. Every other Christmas was rainy and nasty.

“Maybe…” I said through a sigh, rubbing my eyes. I still felt tired, even though I knew I wasn’t. I guess Rome decided that I wasn’t in the mood for conversation, because the rest of the ride to wherever we were going was silent.

When we pulled up outside of Neiman Marcus, I was hesitant to get out. Neiman Marcus was a really expensive store. Who knows how much dresses cost? When I didn’t get out of the car, however, Rome walked around to my side, opened the passenger door for me, and bowed. I smiled a little, and finally exited the car.

The wind hit my cheeks harshly, making me wish I was in the safety of Rome’s car again. Winter seriously sucked.

“Hello, welcome to Neiman Marcus. Can I help you with anything?” The saleswoman asked. I noticed her attention was focused on Rome only. Who could blame her though?

“Yes, I’m looking for a dress for my fiancée here. We’re having a Christmas ball at my parents, and I want to make sure she’s the most beautiful woman in the room.” I watched in complete amusement as the woman’s face fell, and her icy gaze slid over to me. “And I’m not looking for anything cheap.” The woman seemed to revitalize, her huge smile from before showing up again.

“Yes, yes. Please, I think I have just the thing for this lovely young lady!” She winked at me, and I was shocked at her change in personalities. One minute she was a jealous bitch, the next she was winking at me. Right.

The saleswoman introduced herself as Myra as she led us towards the back of the store. Rome and I were exchanged amused glances as we were both thinking the same thing; this woman was nuts.

“Okay okay. Here we go. Into this dressing room, hun. What’s your name?” She opened a white door, leading to an open dressing room, with many platforms, I assumed for women to see themselves in the many mirrors.

“Oh… uh, Julie.”

“Julie, Julie, Julie. A beautiful name for a beautiful girl. Hold on one minute. I’m sure we have just the gown for you!” Myra walked out of the room, leaving me and Rome in the dressing room. After a few moments of silence, Rome and I burst out laughing. Myra’s frantic tone and peppy attitude was too much.

“Whoa. Didn’t see that coming.” I muttered after our hysteric laughter died down. Rome agreed, and moments later, Myra reentered the room, a huge white bag cradled in her arms.

“Here it is. I’m sure this is the gown for you.” She draped the bag over the back of a nearby chair, walking up to me. “You may sit, sir.” She motioned Rome towards another chair. He pulled his lips into a thin line, in attempt to not laugh, and I struggled to keep myself composed. “Okay, dear. You need to undress.” I hesitated, my heart speeding up. Myra pushed me towards one of the platforms, and I stumbled onto it, looking anything but graceful. “Well?” Myra said when she noticed I wasn’t stripping.

“Don’t you have private rooms to—”

“This is a private room, dear. The only people in here are your fiancé and me.”

“Fiancé and I.” I corrected her grammar, noticing the way her happy façade faltered momentarily. Myra then cleared her throat, smiling at me.

“Yes, well, I need you to undress.” I sighed, unzipping my jacket. I tossed it into the floor behind me, and I started to pull my shirt off.

“Julie, I can leave if you feel—” Rome started, but Myra cut him off.

“No, no, don’t you think about it. We need your opinion on the dress.” I glared at Myra for a few moments. At least he tried. I pulled my shirt off all the way, followed by my jeans. I wanted to get this over with. Myra looked giddy with my compliance as I stood there in my underwear, up on display for everyone in the room. She walked towards the bag, unzipping it, pulling out a gorgeous black and dark green ball gown.

“That’s beautiful.” I breathed, completely forgetting about my lack of clothing. Myra smiled, bringing the dress over to me. She unzipped the back, laying it on the floor.

“Step into it dear. But don’t step on the dress.” I vigilantly did as I was told, making sure that I stepped into the dress and not on it. When Myra was satisfied, she pulled the dress up, and zipped it up in the back. “Take off the straps of your bra. There is no need for one in this strapless dress.” Myra said, and I complied wordlessly. I was captivated by the beauty of the dress before me in the mirror. The skirt of the dress was black and it puffed out just enough to be gorgeous but not too much to where it was overwhelming. The bodice fit tightly and was a dark green, with a floral black design on it. Everything about the dress was amazing.

“How much does it cost?” I asked, coming back into reality.

“Um…” Myra checked the tag under my arm. “Approximately eleven hundred.” My mouth dropped open, and I finally turned to Rome for the first time since I’d put on the dress. He was staring at me in a way that made me blush.

“Rome?” He looked up to my eyes at the sound of my voice, smiling at me. Then he turned to Myra. I was shocked at the cost and at the way Rome seemed to be captivated by me.

“We’ll take it.”