Rome and Julie

Chapter 4

That Saturday, approximately three days after I spent the night with Rome, his parents set us up on a date. As though they were in control of our relationship. I don’t know which upset me more; that or the fact that Rome seemed to be completely disgusted with me ever since his parents came to his house and had that talk with us. I can’t describe how close I was to telling him that being disgusted with me was exactly what his parents had not wanted him to act like.

“You look beautiful, Julie.” Mrs. Madden said as I walked into the living room of my house. I’d put on an outfit completely picked out by Mrs. Madden, and I felt like a stranger in it. I was uncomfortable, the dress hugged my figure a little too much, and I had a wedgie that I was sure was beginning to chafe. Plus, the fact that Mrs. Madden was in my aunt and uncle’s house was slightly unnerving.

“Thank you.” I managed out with a tight smile. With a glance at Rome, I knew he wasn’t going to be all the way there mentally, because he merely served me a glance before his gaze settled on the wall somewhere.

I told myself I wasn’t insulted, and Rome didn’t hurt my feelings.

Rome looked fantastically gorgeous, and even though he wore tuxes nearly everyday, the fact that he was wearing one for our date made it all the more special.

“Well, I guess you two should be on your way.” Mrs. Madden smiled giddily, causing a sick feeling to turn my stomach over. This would be an awful night. If they wanted Rome and I to fall in love, they should just back off.

As Rome and I walked out the door, I kept my mind off the way Rome steered clear of any physical contact by telling myself that the dress I was wearing was so not my style.

“Your dress is…” Rome actually tried to start conversation in the car, but his tone said he’d rather stay quiet. As if he was being forced to talk. So I kept my arms crossed over my chest, and my angry gaze stayed on the window.

“Not my type.” I finished for him, barely giving him a glance before going back to my position. As the silence grew, so did my anger. It wasn’t my fault that his parents had to be so retarded! I mean, why was Rome ignoring me when I could do nothing about the way they are?

I heard him sigh, and through my peripherals, saw him run a nervous hand through his hair.

“Jules…” He paused, hesitating. “I’m…” Frustration grew. “I uh…”

“What?” My tone was sharp, and I felt bad for saying anything at all. Rome was trying to say something, and now he probably wouldn’t want to speak to me ever again.

“I’m sorry for acting so rudely these past couple of days. My mind has been preoccupied by…” By how much regret he’s feeling for ever agreeing to marry me. I knew that’s what he was thinking, and my heart sank wearily. “By…” Rome tried again, failing. I let out a short, angered sigh, my eyes shooting over to him.

“By realization that I’m not your type? That you regret agreeing to marry me? What, Rome? What is so hard for you to spit out? Don’t spare my feelings, not that you have been the last three days…”

No weight was lifted off my chest from getting all of my thoughts out, so I went back to being silent, staring blankly out the window.

“Julie, no. You’ve got it all wrong. I wasn’t—”

“Forget it, Rome. Let’s just get tonight over with.”

When we parked the car outside a restaurant, Rome sighed and locked the doors, assured that I couldn’t get out.

“Juliet, this is stupid.” Rome’s husky voice was the only sound in the car, and without the accompaniment of the engine’s rumble, it was suddenly kind of intimidating. “Why are we arguing over something out parents said?” My eyes bugged out, and I threw my hands up in exasperation.

“I don’t know! You tell me!” Rome stayed silent, and we stared at each other, daring the other to look away. “You’re the one who stopped talking to me, and quit looking at me, and altogether barely acknowledged my existence. I cannot do anything about what your parents said to us. So quit pretending it’s all my fault.” I was breathing deeper, and my breaths were the only sound in the car for a while.

“So you basically are saying our arguing is my fault.” I nodded. “Okay, then. I apologize for anything I did to insult you, and I assure you it will never happen again.” I nodded again, looking away. “Seriously, Jules.” Rome grabbed my chin and brought it around to face him, but instead of holding it affectionately and bringing my lips to his, he let it go. “We can’t let this stupid little feud ruin a potentially amazing night.” I smiled a little.

“Fine…” I said grudgingly, opening the door at the sound of the doors being unlocked.

The date, I’ll have to admit, was pretty fun. I mean, there were a few occurrences that the conversation drifted to business, but even then, the discussion was never boring. The night had gone so wonderfully, that when Rome parked in my driveway, I didn’t think anything could bring down my spirit.

But, of course, I was wrong, for previous conversation stopped, replaced by a really awkward silence. People normally kissed after dates, right?

Well, that explained the awkward moment.

I let out a breath, glancing over at Rome, who was staring hardly at the garage door.

“So…” Rome looked over towards me at the sound of my voice. “Should we…?” I sounded so stupid, and I felt like a retard for even saying anything. I wanted to crawl in a hole and get swallowed by the Earth, but all I got was a continued stare from Rome.

As the silence grew, my anger did double time, and in a few moments, I was seething with rage. Finally, seventeen years of waiting anger burst open.

“What the hell is your problem, Rome?” My voice, in the silent car, boomed. I was shaken a little, myself. Rome’s eyebrows raised slightly. “Am I so repulsive that a simple kiss would kill you? I mean, way to make a girl feel like a freaking troll! We are engaged, Rome! Engaged! And if you’re daft enough to not get that meaning, engaged means to be married! What is wrong with kissing your fiancée? You assured me you wouldn’t do anything to insult me, yet here we are!”

After about two seconds of silence, I rolled my eyes and gritted my teeth, throwing open the car door, slamming it hard behind me. I stomped angrily to the front door, repeating the slamming action as I closed it. I didn’t even pause when Maggie addressed me. The walk to my room was one filled with red rage, and I locked my bedroom door behind me, going to my bed, holding my pulsing temples in my fingers, squeezing my eyes shut.

I heard Rome’s car back out of the driveway, causing me to go even more crazy.

Rome seriously pissed me off.

My jaw clenched so hard I thought I was going to shatter a couple of teeth. Ire made my chest burn in a satisfied, complete feeling, yet unsettled and empty. I felt like a living contradiction. I wanted Rome to kiss me, yet I wouldn’t just kiss him myself. I hated Rome for being a coward, yet here I was, afraid myself to put my lips against his.

What the hell was so important about a stupid kiss?

Why was putting your own lips against another being’s so romantic?

Why did I ever have to kiss Rome? Why did I need to kiss him? What was my real intention behind getting a kiss from Rome Madden?

Did it have anything with the fact that I felt like I was losing him?

So many questions, no answers. By the time I could breath controllably, I was shivering. My energy was so drained, and I felt seriously empty of any emotion. I wasn’t capable of producing any kind of feeling. I felt like my blood sugar was low, but too tired to eat or shower, I decided on just going to sleep.

*

“Julie? Honey?” Maggie’s soft voice brought me out of my slumber, and I seriously felt like a piece of crap. A real cow pattie. My throat, tongue, eyes, and head felt stuffy, crusty, and sore as though it hadn’t been used in a while. “Julie? Are you hungry? I’ve made breakfast.”

A groan escaped my lips—not out of anger, but pure exhaustion. I still didn’t have the energy to continue to be angry, even though I had a hell of a reason to be.

Maybe.

Was my reason stupid? Was Rome at home, thinking about the naïve girl he agreed to marry, and most likely regretting it?

I sighed, sitting up in my bed, rubbing my aching temples. I didn’t want to think about anything that had to do with Rome, romance, or kissing.

Hey, Rome’s name is in romance.

The fleeting though skittered across my brain before I could suppress it, so I suppressed a sorrowful sigh instead. No thinking about romance, and definitely not kissing.

And with that inevitable vacation Rome and I had to take with each other coming up, that would be so easy.

Was I the only one who caught the heavy sarcasm?

“Jules?”

I was knocked out of my trance, my eyes going to my locked and closed door. Flinging my feet off the side of the bed, I assured Maggie I was alive and breakfast sounded fantastic.

Deciding that moping would do exactly nothing except make matters worse, I took a shower and freshened up. Which actually included makeup, but that was strictly for making myself prettier to myself. And any self-esteem boost was thankfully taken.

After all, last night, when I pretty much told Rome I knew he was thinking about how much he regretted being my fiancé, he did no protesting. He didn’t assure me that I was wrong—that he did want to marry me.

But, shaking those thoughts off, I don’t care. I don’t want to be in love. Wasn’t that the point of marrying Rome? So I wouldn’t fall in love with anyone?

“Julie? Your breakfast is in here.” Maggie called me from the kitchen, and I realized I was standing stupidly at the end of the hallway, lost in my thoughts.

The smell of food was overwhelming when I stepped into the kitchen, and I felt my mouth water. Maybe stuffing my face would be a good tactic to helping me forget everything.

I slid into a chair at the kitchen table, resting my chin gloomily into my hands with a sigh. A plate of food was set in front of me, and I mumbled a thanks. A few minutes later, Maggie sat at the table with her own plate.

“Would you like to explain to me what is going on?”

A simple question, with a complicated answer.

So I settled with a shrug, diving into my food. After all, you can’t answer with a full mouth… ha! I’ve never done that before.

“Julie?”

I wanted to roll my eyes. I wanted to scream and kick that table and punch a hole in the wall. But I couldn’t. Because that was childish. So I settled with crossing my arms over my chest and staring at the table, ignoring Maggie’s addresses.

As if I care about being childish.

“Giving me the cold shoulder like a little child will not cease me to asking you what is wrong. I love you, Julie, and something obviously happened.” I looked up, glancing at Maggie, and opened my mouth to spill everything.

But the doorbell rang, thank God.

Maggie gave me a look that said ‘this isn’t over,’ and got up to answer the door. I couldn’t see who was standing on the front porch from the view I had, but I could hear.

“Why, hello. Maybe you can enlighten me on Julie’s antics.” Maggie said to the person on the other side of the door, which confused me. Who would know about my personal life?

“Is Julie home?” Oh. Him.

Anger surged through my veins. He had some real nerve, coming up to my door and expecting me to talk after a night like last night!

I clenched my teeth, running out the backdoor, into the backyard. From there, I jumped over the fence, eager to get away from Rome and Maggie, who were no doubt going to my room to find me. I ran around the front of the house, only to find the front door still open, Rome standing on the front porch.

I took off quickly, hearing Rome’s calls. “Julie! Wait!” My legs didn’t slow; if anything, they sped up. Adrenaline was the captain of my body this time, and I was sure Rome was long gone.

At the end of my street, I turned left, towards our Wal-Mart, continuing my fast pace.

But when Rome’s car came into my peripheral vision, I came to a complete stop, angry at him for following me. His car stopped suddenly, too, and for a moment, I just stood staring at his car. Then he got out.

Rome was wearing another suit, a tan one, looking tall and sophisticated and handsome. I hated him for that. I hated him right now, and hating him, I realized, was hurting me.

It was then, as Rome approached me with a solemn face, that I realized Rome Madden was my best friend. I had some friends from a few camps I went to as a child, but no one close enough for me to call. I called Rome nearly everyday, and we saw each other often.

And if a best friend was all he ever was to me, I would deal with that.

Because I don’t think I could live without him.

“Julie.” Rome’s tone mirrored his expression, leaving me cold. Or maybe it was the breeze that passed, but either way, I was nervous about the conversation we were about to have. “We need to talk.”

I stared at him a few more moments, afterwards nodding.

“Do you want to talk out here, or in the car?” I swallowed, making sure my voice wouldn’t crack.

“Out here.” There were a few moments of silence.

“You look pretty.” My eyes flashed with anger.

“Are you mocking me?” My voice was ice cold, filled with the hate I felt towards my rather rude friend. How could he make fun of me when he knew I was mad at him? Rome opened his mouth to say something, but I cut him off. “Go to hell, Rome.” I turned to leave, but Rome grabbed my arm. This was expected, so I had time to shake his hand off before he got a good grip.

“Would you listen to me?” His voice rose, which showed me Rome was obviously mad, too. I kept my mouth shut, letting that be my answer. “I was telling you you look pretty because you have on some makeup, which is a change.” When Rome was satisfied I wasn’t going to interrupt him, he continued. “What happened last night really opened my eyes. I never knew you felt that way.” Rome let out a shaky sigh, running a hand through his perfect hair, making it a little mussed up. He muttered something about rehearsing this over and over. I stifled a smile. Rome was nervous. “Let’s get one thing clear. You obviously have this freakishly stupid notion that you’re not pretty.” My heart dropped to my toes. “I do not think you are ugly, Jules. You are very beautiful.”

I tried to keep my face emotionless, because I could tell Rome was trying to read it for a reaction.

“And another thing. Why are you acting like you hate me?”

“Maybe I do.” I answered, lifting my chin, knowing I was lying.

“You and I both know you do not hate me. So quit acting like a child and move on.” I smiled a little.

“You and I both know acting like a child is my forte.” I mocked his tone, getting a small smile out of him. The tension was getting looser, but I noticed Rome was ignoring the whole never kissing me part. Which was the real reason for our fight.

“So can we please just go back to how things were before?” Rome sounded like a teenaged boy, not a high class business owner. I could tell that Rome didn’t have the energy to act powerful and confident, and I knew I was the reason for that tiredness. “Please, Juliet?” There was a moment of silence before I sighed.

“Romeo Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?” I paused as Rome’s smile grew, he knowing I’d forgiven him. “Deny thy father, and refuse thy name.” My tone was blasé, but I was smiling inside.

“I will deny my father. Julie, we don’t have to listen to my parents. I think we’ve done fine getting to know each other all these years.” I nodded, crossing my arms over my chest thoughtfully. “But soft, what light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun! Arise fair sun, and kill thy envious moon, who is already—”

“Okay, okay. Really? I mean, when I quoted it, it sounded cool. But when you did it, you just killed the whole effect.” Rome rolled his eyes.

And we were back.

Things went rather normally, to my great relief and disappointment. Rome and I had conquered nothing in progressing in our relationship, for he skipped over anything that had to do with the ‘K’ word. But I was thankful that I had my best friend back, and we could call each other again and talk about companies and he could stay for dinner.

I wish I was perfect. I wish I had fantastic hair, dressed fashionably, acted like a lady, could deal with Rome being so stubborn, had a perfectly tranquil attitude, ate with manne—

On second thought, I’m glad I’m not perfect.

After all, “The most valuable thing you can make is a mistake—you can’t learn anything from being perfect.” Adam Osborne’s words have stuck with me for a while, because I know I’m pretty much as far from perfect as a person can get. All life is is pretty much a series of mistakes that we gradually learn from.

And while we were eating dinner one night—the whole family and Rome—I decided if Rome didn’t want to marry me because I wasn’t perfect, then he and I shouldn’t marry at all. Even if our reasons are purely business.

“So when’s this fancy vacation you guys are taking?” Maggie said, taking a bite out of her green beans.

“Uh… two days, I think.” I looked over to Rome for confirmation, and he nodded towards Maggie, chewing and swallowing his food before answering, unlike me.

“I think we’ll leave early that morning, so we can get there around noon. We’ll stay there about a week or two, so if Julie needs to bring any school assignments, I can personally make sure she gets them—”

“Don’t be ridiculous. I’m not doing schoolwork on a vacation.” I interrupted, mouth full of corn. Rome looked down at me in distaste, and I simply shrugged.

“Julie, I actually want you to take your history book and English book. I’m testing you over The Raven when you return.” I rolled my eyes and groaned at Maggie’s words.

“Mags, I read The Raven in my free time when I was in the eighth grade. Besides, Edgar Allen Poe wouldn’t have wanted me to be tested over his writing.” I stuck my chin up indignantly, but Maggie just ignored me, obviously expecting me to comply to her wishes. I sighed, knowing I would in the end.

“Rome, can you make sure she gets her work done?” Maggie asked Rome, as though I wasn’t sitting right in between them.

“Yes ma’am.” My mouth dropped open.

“Hello? I’m not a child. I can make sure myself that I read something. I don’t need someone to supervise my work like I’m a kindergartener.” I, contrary to my words, huffed and crossed my arms angrily over my chest, rather childishly. I didn’t care. Maggie and Rome weren’t being fair! When they stared at me and shook their heads, I rolled my eyes and got out of my seat in fury, my legs catching the chair, causing me to stumble.

My angry exit had made me look stupid. That would happen to me.

I saw from the corner of my eye Rome trying to stifle a chuckle as I stormed out of the room.

I slammed my door shut as I walked into my bedroom. I knew they were talking about me. About how immature I was and if either of them knew when I was going to grow up a little. I flopped harshly down onto my bed, crossing my arms angrily over my chest. For some reason, I reached over, and grabbed a tattered book off my nightstand. I sat for a few minutes, rereading the title over and over. Romeo and Juliet.

A tragedy. A tale of star-crossed lovers. A play full of bull shit.

I lifted my arm to throw the book across the room, but my door opened. “Julie?” It was Rome’s voice. No need to save my sanity. I continued my previously halted action and threw the book at my wall as hard as I could. I hated that dumb book. “Julie! What is wrong with you?” Rome walked in, shutting the door behind him. He walked across my room, picking up the book, holding it up. His eyebrow raised, and a curious expression crossed his face. “Was it the book itself or my laughing at you that made you so angry?” I rolled my eyes. He was amused now.

“Both.”

“Did I mention I was going to rename the company Romeo and Juliet?” I threw a pillow at him, but he caught it easily. He chuckled, walking over to my bed.

“Not if I had anything to say about it. I would never let you.” It was hard acting angry and trying hide my smile. Rome’s laughter was making me a little bubbly. He sat on the bed, placing the pillow and book on my purple comforter.

“Mr. Hendricks won’t sell.” I groaned, throwing my torso back onto my bed. I noticed that the ceiling paint was chipping. “He’s even gone so far as to yell at me, claiming he’s going to expand the company.” I let out a short laugh.

“He’s done for, then.” I knew Rome was probably giving me a questioning look by his silence, so I sat up. “Look, I’m going to give you my input on this, then I don’t want to hear anymore about the Hendricks until tomorrow. Okay?” I didn’t wait for an answer. I pulled my knees to my chest, wrapping my arms around my legs. “Mr. Hendricks’ company is far from ready for expansion, and his funds won’t allow it. So if he does expand, he’s gone way past bankrupt. He’ll be one hundred feet under. Plus, Mr. Hendricks is too attached to his business, and Mrs. Hendricks probably wants a divorce. That explains his sudden spike in expenses towards alcohol. So in attempt to keep his family, most likely, he’ll do the smart thing and sell his business to us. And if you’re still not convinced that they’ll sell us the company, then just look at their profit charts. Every month since last year, their profits have gone down by the thousands. They have to sell. Give it two months.” Rome opened his mouth to say something, but I interrupted him. “Now, let’s talk about something else.” Rome smiled.

“I think I’ll stay here tonight.” I nodded, leaning over my bed to grab a Vogue magazine. I opened it, skimming through the pages. “Do you… do you want to watch a movie tonight?” I looked up, curious.

“Huh?”

“Do you want to watch a movie together tonight? Or something…” I grinned. Watching Rome squirm in awkwardness was entertaining, and I couldn’t seem to wipe the smile off my face. I looked back down at my magazine, pretending to look at the hurl-worthy perfect girls.

“Sure.” There was a pause. “Do you want to go out to the movies, or stay here?” I forced myself not to look up, for the grin was still on my face. My hair was shielding it for now.

“I don’t know. I’ve never been to a real movie theatre, unless you count the ones in New York where I see premieres.” I was speechless for a few moments. I’d forgotten how important Rome was in society. He’d been on front page news countless of times, where as my name was mentioned only a few instances, even though I was the Corbin in Madden&Corbin. He’d been invited to see movie premieres. He’d walked on a red carpet. I, however, wasn’t ‘old enough.’

“Well, then, I think we should save that for another night. Let’s just stay here.” My smile had finally faded, so I looked up. Rome was looking out my window. I found myself staring at him. He really was handsome. Too gorgeous for immature, childish little me.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang downstairs, which shattered the dream-like spell that had been cast in my room. Rome and I both jumped a little, getting up. “Let’s go get ready for our movie.” A smile hitched at the corners of my mouth. “You should probably go home and get some clothes.”

“Don’t you still have those clothes you borrowed from me when you spent the night?” We walked down the hallway. I blushed, thinking that he probably wouldn’t want them. I’ve been using them as my pajamas since. They were extremely comfortable.

“No. I kinda like wearing them myself. I’m stealing them from you.” Rome groaned as we walked into the living room.

“You can wear my dress shirt or something. Please let me wear my own clothes. I don’t feel like driving all the way home.” The thought of wearing Rome’s dress shirt as a night gown interested me, so I agreed. Rome sat on the living room couch beside Rob, who hadn’t said a word all night. He was watching football, and I mumbled a greeting as I made my way to the laundry room to wash Rome’s shirt and boxers.

As I put in laundry detergent, my mind wandered off to the time where I spent the night at his house, and I saw him in nothing but a towel. I grinned, slamming the washer’s lid closed, leaving the laundry room.

“Is Rome staying tonight?” Maggie asked as I walked back to the living room. Still upset at her, I gave her a little nod, and continued my walk. I sat beside Rome on the couch, curling into his side.

“Ugh, I hate when winter comes along.” I said, relishing the warmth of Rome’s torso. He was pretty engrossed in the dumb football game that was on the television. Rob sat on the recliner, watching with an experienced eye. I loved Rob, but we weren’t exactly close.

“Mhmm…” Rome muttered. I rolled my eyes, knowing Rome wasn’t listening.

“You’re gorgeous, Rome.” Again, Rome muttered something incoherent, his eyes still glued to the screen. Simultaneously, Rome and Rob groaned, apparently angry at something that happened in the game. I thought about kissing Rome on the lips to get his attention, but decided that it wasn’t the right time. I also considered saying I love you, but thought about how weird it would be if he heard me. “Hello? Earth to Rome?” I leaned over in front of Rome’s face.

“What, Julie?” Rome said irately, attempting to look around me.

“I don’t like being ignored.” Rome rolled his eyes, pushed me down, and wrapped his arm around me.

“You won’t if we watch the game together.”

“I hope this isn’t what we’re watching tonight for our movie.” Rome chuckled and shook his head, pulling me slightly closer. I wasn’t sure if he was aware he did it or not, for immediately he was enthralled by the football game again. It wasn’t as bad this time, however, because Rome was keeping me well warm.

Soon Maggie came in and told Rob that it was time for them to get to bed. He left the television on, came over to the couch to kiss me on the forehead and mumble a goodnight, and left with my aunt. I was getting tired, for I was too comfortable.

“Rome…” I breathed out, my eyes droopy.

“Hmmm?”

“I don’t think I have enough energy to get up and change.” Rome laughed.

“Oh no. You’re not getting out of it that easily. You cannot keep my clothes. I can’t sleep in this tux.” Before I knew it, Rome had swept me off the couch, into his arms. His chest was comfortable, and his cologne intoxicated me.

“I think the headache medicine I took before dinner is making me sleepy.” I muttered as he took us to the laundry room. Maggie, I noticed, had put Rome’s shirt and boxers in the drier, and even took them out and folded them. I was getting more and more tired by the second, so when Rome put me down, I had to lean all my weight against him to stand.

“Jules, stand up by yourself for a few seconds. I’ve got to take off my shirt.” I leaned away from him, leaning against the cold wall of the laundry room. My eyes were closed, and no matter how hard I tried to keep them open to see Rome’s bare chest, I couldn’t.

I didn’t notice I’d fallen into a light sleep until I felt Rome standing me up straight. We were still in the laundry room, and now Rome was in his boxers and t-shirt.

“Julie? Do you want me to change you into my dress shirt?” I was sleepy. I couldn’t answer. “Julie?”

“Sure…” I managed to mumble out. By tomorrow morning, I probably wouldn’t remember anything about tonight. I felt my shirt being pulled over my head. The thought that I was standing in my bra in front of Rome didn’t even occur. Then, I felt someone unbuttoning and unzipping my jeans.

“You’re gonna have to help me a little, Jules.” As Rome slid my jeans down my legs, I lifted my left, so he could take them off that foot. I repeated the action with my right foot, and soon, I was standing in nothing but my undergarments. Rome once again supported my weight. I felt a shirt being put on me, and soon, it was getting buttoned up.

“Do you have sweatpants or something you want to put on?” Rome asked me, his arms wrapping around me. Despite the chill I got on my legs, I liked how loose and comfy the shirt was.

“No…” I muttered, feeling completely out of it. I felt Rome sweep me into his arms again. I felt him start to walk again, and soon, he was laying me down in a bed. He tucked me under the covers, and kissed me softly on the forehead.

“Goodnight, Juliet.”

I was already asleep.