Status: Slow Active, But Definitely Active.

Clearly

Chapter Thirteen.

As I watched the gigantic iron gates swing open in front of me, I was struck with the sudden realization that driving to the Gordon Estate has become such a simple and calm routine for me. I could drive there and back with my eyes closed, not that I would ever do that because I might as well be asking to get hit by a truck and die a slow, painful death out of my own stupidity. Anyway, that’s beside the point because I would most definitely never even attempt to do that. My point is that I’ve fallen into the comfortable pattern of familiarity. The only thing that constantly changes with each passing day is Pierce.

I don’t know what we are anymore. It’s quite clear that we have passed friendship and the simple role of businessman and client. We are now in the world of the unknown, exploring the darkest depths of pitch black seas. And the fact that we’re sort of behind the scenes with it, unknown to everyone but ourselves, makes it all the more fun, as if it is an adventure within itself. But we’re not through the barricade of being a couple, a package deal, two people that stick together like glue. We’re stuck in the elusive in-between. We’re teetering on the edge of the cliff, fighting to gain control of our future together, whether we’ll be moving on together or separating into our respective roles of client and businessman.

The entire situation never ceases to raise goose bumps on my skin. The mere idea of sneaking around to have a secret lover that is mine and only mine sends jolts of anticipation throughout my entire body, warming me to the core as I let my excitement and anxiousness overwhelm me.

I’m pretty sure that I want Pierce and I to happen. I don’t want to fall over the cliff, I don’t want to me teetering on the edge, I want my feet to be firmly planted on the ground with Pierce’s much bigger and heavy-booted feet right next to my amazing and indestructible, ratty, old pair of converse sneakers. That would just be absolutely superb.

A loud sigh broke free from my lips as I rolled to a stop on their winding gravel driveway. I reached back and grabbed my photography bag, making sure that Pierce’s prints were tucked into the pocket as I hopped out of my car, seeming to have that extra spring in my step that made me seem all the more peppier than usual.

It’s official. I have fallen prey to some of the most typical of cliché’s when finding a new relationship that you truly feel is worth pursuing. By no means am I saying that Pierce is the man who I want to love me forever, to marry me when I’m worthy enough, to grow old with me, but I’ve come to the conclusion that he’s the guy that I want to be with now. I’m focusing on the present and my present consists of him and I together, not apart.

At least in my mind it does.

I took my bottom lip in between my teeth and started to nibble it mercilessly as I opened their monstrous front door, not allowing its size to intimidate me as much as it originally did during my first few visits to the Estate. I’m finally becoming a bit more comfortable with everything. I shut the door behind me softly, making sure it didn’t slam and disrupt the peaceful and relaxing atmosphere that Mel had somehow created in the house. The last thing I want to be right now is a nuisance. I want to stay on all of their good sides forPierce my job.

I looked around frantically as I quickly ran up the winding staircase, being extra careful to make my footsteps as quiet as possible without them echoing throughout the mansion. My hand barely skimmed across the banister that was on the edge of the stairs, the sand-paper like noise that my hand made when it skimmed along it made me cringe. At the moment, the quietest of sounds was echoing in what seemed to be a calm estate where most of its occupants were sleeping. I’d hate to be the cause of a rude awakening.

That simple thought made me halt in my tracks right outside of Pierce’s bedroom door. What if he was still asleep like Marcie and his mother? He could seriously hate me for waking him from his deep slumber. Or he could be embarrassed if he’s one of those males that refuse to leave the confines of their bedroom without cleaning up and having every little detail of their appearance be absolutely perfect. I hope he isn’t. He doesn’t seem like the type who would waste time on his appearance since he prefers to admire nature’s beauty. It would be such a turn off if he is, in fact, an egotistical pig, but I highly doubt that since he’s showed no signs of doing anything of the sort.

My head quickly swung itself back and forth as if to dismiss the thought before I started to over-analyze and worry about the smallest of actions. That is the last thing I need right now. I’ve finally built up my imaginary image of perfection and I plan on keeping that image as strong and firm within my mind as possible.

I gently brought my fist up to knock on the door, the flesh of my bottom lip being nibbled upon yet again. This is the only chance I have to give Pierce his prints today. Right after the photo shoot ends, I have a meeting with another client for a family photograph. I do have other people to focus on besides the Gordon’s, though it’s no lie that they do, in fact, take up a great majority of my time these days.

I almost thanked the heavens when Pierce’s door swung open to reveal a rather disheveled but wide awake Pierce. His hair was standing up on all ends, his glorious body covered in only a loose pair of blue boxers and a white v-neck t-shirt, but his eyes weren’t blurred in the least, proving that he’s probably been up for a while and has been relaxing in bed, allowing his thoughts to take over as I normally do in the morning as well.

“Hey,” I said around a smile, peeking behind me before standing on my tip toes and pressing a chaste kiss to his jaw line, pulling away quickly before he could notice the soft blush that immediately began to coat my cheeks the second my lips made contact with his slightly stubbled jaw. I quickly ducked under his arm, granting myself entrance into his bedroom so that I didn’t stand in the hallway of his house like an uneducated fool. As I settled myself on his couch, the realization that he didn’t mind my being in his most personal of space dawned on me. After all, he hasn’t tried to kick me out and the soft click that his door made as it shut said everything.

“Hey,” he murmured, a lazy smile plastered on his plump lips as he came to sit next to me, settling himself so close that our legs were pressed against each other, his arm loosely throwing itself around my shoulders as if we had been doing this for years. Everything was simply natural and not the least bit forced.

I slid the strap of my photography bag off of my shoulder before reaching inside, my hand immediately finding the ‘conveniently’ placed manila envelope that contained Pierce’s print. I pulled the envelope out carefully, placing my bag on his bedroom floor with the utmost of care as I handed him the envelope, resting my head on his shoulder softly as he pulled his prints out eagerly, flipping through them excitedly as he commented on which ones were his favorite and why. It was so adorable, being able to see someone who is a few months my elder seem to be so childish and excited over something that I’ve followed for basically my entire life. It’s as if I am his mentor. The mere thought made me chuckle.

Pierce stopped at the last photograph in the pile, just as I had last night. He leaned forward and placed his pile of prints on his coffee table before leaning toward me again, allowing me to re-settle myself against his gigantic body as a small smile formed on his lips at the sight of our first kiss being captured in time. In a way, that photograph was our dirty little secret, something we’d both cherish and enjoy but can never let anyone know of at the moment.

“I should get this framed,” he mused, more to himself than anyone else. He was simply speaking his thoughts out loud. “The first kiss with my boyfriend even though it wasn’t an actual kiss.”

I tilted my head towards him questioningly as he gently placed the photograph on top of the stack, treating that one with more care than the others though it was taken with the least amount of skill.

“Boyfriend?” I questioned softly.

“Well, yeah,” he muttered, almost bashfully as he looked down at me, the lightest of reds dusting the area right under his eyes and over the tip of his nose, making him seem completely adorable instead of that godly, sexy figure I was first introduced to a while back. Pierce is truly one of those guys that is scary on the outside, but nothing but a lovable teddy bear on the inside.

“Boyfriends need to be official. We’re not official,” I clarified, hedging at what I was getting at as my mind wandered back to the thoughts that were bombarding me moments before I had stepped foot into Pierce’s room.

“Well what makes it official?” He muttered, his eyebrows furrowed as the arm that wasn’t loosely draped over my shoulder came up to scratch the back of his head cutely.

“A second date,” I clarified, smiling victoriously.

“I don’t know if I want to agree to that,” he teased me, pressing his forehead against mine lazily.

“Then you have no chance at becoming my boyfriend.”

A small pout placed itself on Pierce’s lips as my last line registered within his mind. Sweet victory.

“And what would this second date entail?” He questioned, going along with my little scheme though he didn’t really need to.

“Dinner at my place tonight around eight?” I proposed. Cooking for him would be adorable and a legitimate date since our first one was rather unconventional, though it was perfect for the two of us.

“Sounds good,” he said, leaning his nose against my own, limiting the space between us, hinting at what he wanted. But who was I to ruining the little teasing session that we were partaking in?

“I’ll text you directions later,” I said matter-of-factly as I got up, leaning over to grab my photography bag and throw it over my shoulder as I prepared to set off in search of Marcie. I wasn’t getting paid to hang out with my maybe-boyfriend, I was getting paid to photograph my maybe-boyfriends’ younger sister.

The slight growl that almost made its way out of Pierce’s lips put a smile on my own, giving me the fuel to get through the day because I, of all people, made the invincible Pierce Gordon positively flustered. And the tiny smile and wave he offered up in forgiveness as I exited the room gave me the excitement I needed to coast through the day, the prospect of all the positive things that could happen tonight making me eager to get home and get ready.

Tonight could prove to be one for that scrapbook, don’t you think?
♠ ♠ ♠
So, it's a rather long filler, but it shows you what's going on in Dalton's mind and it sets up the next chapter, which I think you will all obviously enjoy. I love writing this story because Dalton's mind is just so complex and instead of worrying, for once, he is actually focusing on the positives.

I'd also like to dedicate this chapter to Claire because if it weren't for her, it wouldn't have been out for another couple of days. I hope you like it, hon. (: <3

And thank you to all the commenters! As you can tell, my motivation for this story is finally rekindling!