We're Not Falling In Love, We're Just Falling Apart

Chapter Three

My step sister was criminally insane! I had seen the flask that she had put in her purse as everyone was getting ready to leave. I knew that she was not thrilled with what we were going to be doing that night. I wasn't exactly jumping for joy either but I was doing my best to hide it. I could hear her mother complaining about Pepper's choice of clothes. I was just waiting for my father to tear his eyes of his wife to look at me. He finally did and his eyes widened," Evie? What are you wearing?" I shrugged and looked down at myself, pretending to think," One of the dresses you bought for me." He hated it when I tended to get smart with him but he knew he couldn't stop me. I had gotten my biting wit and sarcastic humor from him after all.

He simply shook his head, offering his arm to Elizabeth. She was smiling as she linked her arm through his, the big rock on her left hand shining in the light. They began to walk towards the elevator as I shrugged on my white Ralph Lauren boyfriend jacket that the maid had handed me. I looked over at Pepper and offered her my arm, mocking my father. I saw her try not to laugh as she hooked her arm through the mine. Together, we followed our parents into the elevator and they pretended not to notice what we were doing. I had to hold up my skirt so I wouldn't trip over it, my Chanel clutch tucked under my left arm. The elevator ride was quick and filled with my father and Elizabeth's endless chatter. They were both thrilled at the idea of their family's debut on the Upper East Side.

We took a town car to the Palace Hotel where the dinner was taking place. I climbed out of the car after Elizabeth and my father, glancing around. There were plenty of people going inside, all of them decked in designer clothes. I looked over at Pepper who didn't look surprised in the slightest. I playfully stuck my tongue out at her to try to at least get her to smile. She shook her head at me, a giggle escaping from me.

Spotted: Our two new girls outside of the Palace for the Bass foundation dinner. My my my, what lookers they are. Anyone get the details on these two yet? Let me know, secrets never stay secrets long here. You Know You Love Me. XoXo-Gossip Girl

All of us went inside and our coats were taken, hung up in the coat room. Pepper and I went inside the banquet hall together while our parents went to talk to someone. The hall was filled with people, all of them I didn't know. They were all holding champagne flutes in their hands and whispering to each other. It was hard to see who was actually enjoying their conversations and who was bored out of their mind. From what I could see most of the people were bored out of their minds. I glanced at Pepper who was already holding a champagne flute, I laughed as she handed me one as well. I took a few sips from it as people finally seemed to notice us.

There was one group that seemed to be staring more then anyone. All of them were dressed the best and I instantly knew they were the most popular. I glanced sideways at Pepper, wondering what we should do, she subtly nodded. I set my flute of champagne down on a nearby table as she began to walk in their general direction. I could see them watching her as I pretended to be going through my purse. I was not used to having to prove myself to get up a social ladder. At my boarding school I had been the hottest and most popular girl, not to mention the richest. I pulled out my phone and saw that I had a few missed calls, one of them from my former boyfriend Liam.

He had ended things once he found out I was moving to Manhattan. I looked up to see that Pepper had struck up a conversation with a rather tall, leggy blond. I bite down on my lip, wondering if I should go join her. I didn't want to seem desperate and like I needed my step sister to help me meet people. I heard the sound of someone clearing their throat from directly behind me. I whirled around to see that I was inches from a guy, a very gorgeous looking guy. He had dark brown hair that was gelled back, his eyes almost looked black. He had a smirk that reminded me of the devil plastered on his face. He was dressed in a Marc Jacobs purple suit with a black tie. I had to admit the look was strange, most guys I knew didn't wear purple.

"Do I know you?" he asked, clearly knowing he didn't know me. I shrugged as I pretended to think, tapping my index finger against my chin," Hmm," I paused," I don't think you do." I held my hand out to him," The name's Evelyn, Evelyn Westford." He was still smirking as he placed his hand in mine, to my surprise he didn't shake it. He lifted our joined hands and pressed a kiss to it," Bass, Chuck Bass." I nodded, slowly pulling my hand from his grasp," So your the son of my father's possible soon to be business partner?" He shrugged as he reached to place my hand in the crook of his arm," It seems so, and if I had known that Robert had such a beautiful daughter I would have come to greet his family sooner." He was trying to charm me, so far, it wasn't working. I had known quite a few guys like him from my school, I could see through his act instantly.

I shrugged as he began to lead me away from the table, making sure to grab my purse," You flatter me." I was wondering how old he was and if he knew I was only fifteen. I was not like most girls my age, I was anything but naive when it came to boys. The two of us walked towards an empty table and he pulled a chair out for me. I shot him a coy smile as I lowered myself into it and watched as he took a seat. I placed my purse on top of the table and turned towards him," So what's your story Bass?" He laughed as he leaned back to look at me," Cutting right to the chase are we?" I shrugged, knowing he was probably amused," Indeed we are." I looked around, seeing that Pepper was now talking to another girl.

She was a petite creature, not too much taller then me. Her hair was chestnut brown and tamed by a solid white headband. Her eyes were brown and her skin a little pale, a fox like face. She had on a white strapless dress that looked like it was an Eleanor Waldorf original. She seemed to be watching Chuck and I from the corner of her eye, she did not look pleased. I looked over at Chuck to see that he looked amused. Did he know that she was watching us? I cleared my throat a little louder then I needed to," Using me to make that girl jealous?" He looked taken aback at my question, looking at her as well," Possibly." I leaned in towards him, pretending to be whispering in his ear," I'm game if you are."

I watched as doubt flashed across his face before he regained his composure," I'm game." He held his hand out to me to help me stand up, I brushed non existent dirt off my dress. I placed my hand in his as he pulled me to my feet. I was already getting involved with some twisted game and I had only been at the Upper East Side for one day. He began to lead me towards the group that Pepper was a part of. I held my purse in my free hand as we came to a stop once we were near them. Pepper noticed us and her eyes went to our joined hands, she raised an eye brow at me.

I reached to brush some strands of hair that had escaped the ponytail," Hi, I'm Evelyn Westford, Chuck's date." Everyone went silent as I held my hand out to the girl that had been watching us earlier. She looked at my hand then towards Chuck, who was still smirking. She looked towards me, her eyes narrowed," I'm Blair Waldorf." She was Blair Waldorf? I was in such major shit now that I knew that. I looked over at Chuck before looking at her," It's nice to meet you Blair." I was going to have to do my best to act like everything was fine. She turned to motion the blond girl forward," This is Serena Van der Woodsen and my friend Nate should be around here some-"

"Pepper?"questioned a voice, making everyone look. Pepper looked up too, clearly surprised that someone knew her. I did remember that she had done a stint in Manhattan with her mother back when she was a freshmen. A rather good looking guy that looked like he could grace the cover of Vogue was walking towards us. He was dressed in a J crew suit that showed off his lean yet muscular form. She was staring at him in disbelief," Nate?" The two of them knew each other? This ought to be interesting.

And I thought I was in for a dull night, I guess I was wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
This isn't exactly long but it's not short either. Hope you enjoy!

XOXO