Gutter ***s

Photography Show

“Good luck!” Jackson calls just as Tre and I rush past him and up the stairs. We hurry into the van and drive off.
“We’re going to be late, I can’t be late this job depends on it.” I ramble nervously.
“Don’t worry, we’ll make it.” Tre reassures me as we zoom through the Oakland streets towards the bridge so we could get into San Francisco.
“What if, what if.”
“Everything’s going to be fine.” Tre says calmly.
“I know, but I didn’t even get to see if they set up my photographs properly, I mean they could totally botch everything.”
“LISEA!” Tre exclaims, slightly aggravated, “I don’t freak out like this before one of my shows, do I?”
“No but.”
“But nothing, its just one show, they’ll always be more.”
“No, but what if this is the only one.”
“There’s always another one!” he says signaling he wouldn’t stand for another worried sentence, “You look gorgeous by the way.” I look down at the dress I’m wearing and smile.
“Thanks, you look pretty too.” I say looking Tre over, this is the first time I’d ever seen him in a suit. He actually had to go back home to his parents house to pick it up.

We get to the studio where there are only a few people looking around while a janitor sweeps up the floor.
“That should’ve been done by now!” Don Lecarno says aggravated, “The people will be here any second.” I swallow hard and squeeze Tre’s hand, “Ahh Miss Lyons, is this your date?”
“Uhh yeah, this is Tr-Frank.” I stutter, “Frank Wright.”
“Nice to meet you.” he says as he turns in spot and walks forward, “Come Miss Lyons, and see your display.” Tre looks at me with a crooked grin and I lead him forward.

“Here it is.” Lecarno says motioning to a whole seven foot wall segment.
“You used all my photos?” I ask amazed. I thought he’d use two or three, not all sixteen.
“Yes, I wish you’d submitted more though.” He says nonchalantly, “I must go now, enjoy the champagne. He heads to the door and tells the doorman to let the people in. I turn to Tre and I feel myself grinning from ear to ear. I hug Tre and let out a girlish squeal.
“Congratulations.” He says hugging me in return, “One question though.” I let go of his neck and look him in the eye, “Why’d you call me Frank Wright?”
“It’s your name.”
“Blargh, gah, ergh.” He stutters.
“Sorry, its just I was worried that he’d ask for your last name, and I can’t exactly say Cool, now can I?”
“Next time just say Tre, and if he really wants a last name then say Wright.”
“Tre Wright?”
“Only for you babe.” He says putting his hand on the small of my back and we go to look around at the other photo submissions.

“Can we leave now?” Tre whines into my ear, “This place is getting boring, there’s only so many pictures of bird baths I can stand.” I laugh a little into my hand, we’d been there already an hour and a half, I’m a photographer and even I’m getting bored.
“Okay.” I say taking his hand yet again and heading over to Lecarno who’d just told some business type people some lame joke that made them all laugh lightly.
“Ahh if it isn’t Miss Lisea Lyons.” He says calling me over, “She has a great future at Globan.”
“You mean I got the job?”
“Be at the main office Monday at seven.” He says winking, “These are going to be some or your co-workers.” He motions to the business like people. I nod quickly at all of them.
“I’m sorry to cut out so early but-“
“Its no problem.” He says calmly, “See you Monday, and it was nice meeting you Mister Wright.”
“Nice meeting you too.” Tre mumbles shyly. I smile graciously and then Tre and I practically sprint out of the studio.

“Nice meeting you Mister Wright.” He mimics, “Gah!” I burst out laughing.
“I’m sorry, sorry, sorry.” I say as I go to kiss his cheek playfully. I stop and take off my shoes, Tre loosens his tie.
“What if you step on a piece of glass?” he asks pointing at my feet.
“Umm, I’ll be careful.” I say not wanting to put those god awful shoes back on.
“Do I have to do everything around here?” Tre says mimicking some sort of 50s house wife. He scoops me and starts carrying me. I can’t help but burst out laughing.
“I’m too heavy.”
“No you’re not.” He says, “Well sorta, but its okay.” I burry my face into his neck, combining kisses and laughs as we finally get to the van. I slip in and he goes around to the other side and slips in too.

We get back to the apartment to find Billie and Jackson watching TV.
“How’d it go?” Jackson asks eagerly.
“It was great!” I say excitedly, “Well actually it was boring but I got the job.”
“That’s awesome.” Jackson says smiling, “I knew you’d do great, oh and did I mention you look gorgeous in that dress.”
“What the hell’s your problem?” Tre asks in a pissed off tone. I look at Tre shocked, then I look back at Jackson who’s also shocked, then I look at Billie who’s got a sick smirk on his face.
“Excuse me?” Jackson asks, choking on his words.
“Seriously, you don’t fucking hit on someone else’s girlfriend!” Tre outbursts, “All week I’ve noticed how you’ve been talking to her and fuck, you’ve been living here two weeks I think it’s kind of hard to notice Lisea and I are together.” Billie cracks up laughing and I have no idea how to react.
“Wha?” Jackson exclaims
“Billie stop laughing and back me up!” Tre yells, his face turning red. Billie just laughs harder. Suddenly a flushing sound is heard from the washroom, “Thank god, Mike will back me up!”

The washroom door opens revealing a guy, not Mike, in torn black jeans and an army print shirt. His chin length black hair is practically glued to his acne scorn face.
“Who the hell are you?” Tre says, his voice going a bit high pitch.
“That’s Henry, my boyfriend.” Jackson says crossing his arms, “I’m sorry but I haven’t been hitting on Lisea.”
“Oh umm, shit.” Tre says rubbing his face, “I’m sorry man. I didn’t know.”
“You should be.” Henry says rolling his eyes, “Tre, right?”
“Uh yeah.” Tre says quietly.
“I can’t believe you sometimes.” I say rolling my eyes as I head to the bedroom. Mike was asleep on his bed so I just quickly change into a pair of sweats and a tank top before heading back into the living room.

I walk past Tre and into the kitchen.
“Lisea,” he calls after me, I don’t answer, “Lisea.” I refuse to reply, he stands up and trudges into the kitchen, “Lisea, what’s wrong?”
“What’s wrong?” I ask, making my eyes bulge, “you’ve got to be kidding me! You accuse Jackson of hitting on me and- and-“
“What am I supposed to do, just let random guys look my girlfriend over?”
“Okay, first off, stop treating me like a piece of meat! Second of all, I’m not stupid, if he was getting out of line for a second, I’d put him back in his place! I can take care of my self!”
“Listen, I told him I was sorry, what more do you want?!”
“Fuck you.” I say rolling my eyes and pushing past him. I go back to the bedroom and lie on Tre and I’s bed.

“Mmm what’s wrong?” Mike mumbles from the other bed.
“Nothing.” I say trying to hold back tears, I hate this, every time I become super pissed I tear up.
“Liar.” Mike chuckles, “Yelling like that deems occasion.”
“Argh, its just you know Jackson’s gay?”
“Yep.”
“Yeah well Tre started accusing him of trying to hit on me and made this whole stupid scene, then had the nerve to act like he was protecting me like I’m a piece of goddamn meat!”
“Haha, Tre can be a bit paranoid about stuff like this.”
“No, we’ve been going out long enough for him to know I can take care of myself.” I say burying my face in my pillow.
“Look at it this way.” Mike starts, “He cares about you enough to take care of you even if you don’t need it.”
“Mike, you’re annoying sometimes.” I laugh into my pillow.
“If that’s your way of saying I’m smart, then thank you.” he states, “Now shut up, I wanna sleep.”
“Fine.” I murmur as I close my eyes.
“Forgive Tre, he’s kinda stupid, it isn’t his fault.” Mike mumbles, “We think he was dropped on his head as a baby.”
“Okay.” I yawn.