Gutter ***s

Horrid Families!

Jackson stays with us for a long while. A couple days after the photography show he got a job and started chipping for rent and stuff. He slept on the couch, Henry would randomly pop in and hang out with us but usually they went out.

I get up one morning in December to find him dressed nicely in a new pair of jeans, new shirt, sweater and shoes.
“Wow don’t we look lovely.” I say passing by him as he zips up his sweater.
“Thanks.” He says, I smile as I go to the fridge.
“Why don’t you and Henry stick around today?” I say casually, “I mean it’s practically Christmas and I mean you’re cool and all.”
“I can’t.”
“C’mon.”
“No, I’m going to my parents house.” He says simply.
“But I thought-“ I start he shakes his head.
“Thanks to you guys letting me stay here, I cleaned up, got a job and last night I finally decided to call the old bastard up.”
“Really?” I ask amazed that all that had happened and no one took notice.
“Yeah, and he says he still doesn’t like the idea that I’m,” he pauses, “gay, but he went into this whole thing about how I’m still his son and stuff.”
“That’s great.”
“If all goes well, I’ll introduce him to Henry.”
“Well I mean maybe your dad’s going to be like scrooge, ya know the whole Christmas miracle sort of thing.”
“Haha.” He chuckles, “Mmm, guess what, I signed up for adult ed, so I can get my high school diploma.”

I high five him and smile.
“Maybe you should drag Billie with you.” I joke.
“Nah, Billie’s going to be a big ass rock star, he doesn’t need school.” Jackson says with a little bit of a laugh.

“What’s for breakfast?” Tre asks as he struts into the kitchen, he looks Jackson over, “Hi sexy.” The three of us burst out laughing.
“You think so?” Jackson asks in a girly voice.
“Oh yeah honey buns.” Tre says wiggling his eyebrows.
“Tre! How could you?” I fake gasp.
“I’m sorry Lisea, he’s just so sexy.” Tre says apologetically. This was an on-going joke that Tre and Jackson were having an affair, “So why are you so preppy anyway?”
“Going to see my parents today.”
“Eeesh.” Tre says uneasily, “Good luck.”

“Hey Tre.” I say later on that day while watching TV.
“Mmm?”
“What are we going to do for Christmas?”
“Have sex.” I slap his arm.
“Seriously.”
“I seriously wanna have sex.”
“Okay, besides sex, don’t you wanna go home for the holidays?”
“I dunno.” He shrugs.
“I mean, we spent Thanksgiving at my parents’ house so-“
“Okay, so you wanna go again for Christmas?” He says not bothering to look at me.
“I was wondering if we could go to your family’s for Christmas.” He doesn’t reply, “Tre?”
“Mmm?”
“I said-“
“I know what you said.” He says quietly.
“So?”
“So what?” he asks.
“So, do you want to go to your parents’ for Christmas?”
“I umm don’t know.”
“What’s there to know?” I ask with a slight chuckle. Then it hits me, “You don’t want me to meet your family.”
“I didn’t say that.” He says quickly and defensively.
“Then what’s the problem?” I ask crossing my arms. He lets out a deep sigh.
“I’ve umm.” He starts, “I’ve umm never brought a girl home before.”
“Ohh-kay.” I say slowly.
“I love you Lisea but I know if we go then my family’s going to make a big deal about me finally bringing someone and, and, and.” I kiss his lips.
“Let them make a big deal.”
“But it’s embarrassing, because they used to say god help any woman who loves you and stuff like that and-“
“Tre, its okay.” I laugh.
“If you really want to meet them I guess we could go.” He murmurs, “My mom called a couple of days asking me if I was coming upstate for the holidays.”

We stay silent a couple of minutes when finally I can’t bear it any longer, I have to get us laughing again.
“So at your parents’ house, can we share a room?”
“If not we’ll just sneak around as usual.” Tre says tickling me.
“Does your bed there have noisy springs?”
“Nope,” he says shaking his head, “Never got caught jacking off once.”
“Well that’s good.” I giggle.

The front door creeks open and both Tre and I’s attention dart to it. Jackson steps through the door, but I can’t read his expression.
“How’d it go?” I ask eagerly.
“Okay I guess.” He shrugs as he takes off his jacket, “I mean he said he’s proud of me but he’s not ready to meet Henry.”
“Well, one step at a time, you know day by day.” I say optimistically.