Gutter ***s

Kitchen Conversation

I wake up and breathe in heavily. I look over at Mike’s bed, to see Billie Joe sprawled out and drooling. We spent the night talking about anything and everything while we waited for Tre to return, but he didn’t. I get up and use the washroom before heading into the kitchen. I reach for the coffee maker then stop as I remember what Billie told me. How long have I been pregnant, it could be anywhere from two weeks to two months, and how many coffees I have drank in that time. I head to the fridge and grab a glass of orange juice instead. The clock on the stove reads ten-thirty AM.

The front door creaks open and footsteps head towards the bedrooms. Then the footsteps come into the kitchen and I see Tre standing there quietly.
“Lisea.” He says quietly.
“I have nothing to say to you.” I say just as quietly as I sit on the kitchen stool.
“I’m sorry I ran off like that.”
“Its not like you had to blow off steam, you’ve been gone for like eighteen hours!”
“You counted?” he asks in slight disbelief.
“There’s not much else to do.” I say bitterly. He walks over to me and takes my hand.
“I’m sorry I ran off. I love you and if you’re pregnant that’s fine. I’m not ready for it, but I’ll still be by your side through it all, and you can get pissed at me and tell what to do about the baby business.”

“Where the fuck did you go?”
“Don’t swear.” He says glancing at my stomach.
“Baby’s not going to hear swears.” I hiss.
“I went to my parents house.” He says nervously. I cross my arms, “I uhh needed advice.”
“So they know!” I exclaim.
“Yeah, my mom whacked me across the head if you must know.”
“Well you deserve it!” I hiss.

We fall silent again.
“So how long have you been pregnant anyway?” he asks quietly. I shrug.
“I haven’t seen a doctor yet.” I mumble. He kisses my forehead, “Which reminds me, I should make an appointment.”
“I’ll go with you.”
“Tre, you don’t have to-“
“Yeah I do!” he says quickly, “it’s my baby too.”
“It’s not like they have to check you out too.” I say rolling my eyes.
“Please forgive me.” he says kissing my hand.
“Tre, how do you think I felt when you just left like that?”
“I uhh, I don’t know, upset?” he stutters.
“Fuck Tre, I freaked out like you did! But I couldn’t run away from it like you! And then when I really needed someone to count on, you just-argh!” I say aggravated.
“Will you marry me?” I stare at him blankly for a second.
“NO!” I say throwing my hands up in the air, “Why would we get married?”
“Because we’re going to have a baby.” Tre says glancing at my stomach again.
“So? People have babies without being married all the time.”
“But it’s the right thing to do.”
“Nu-uh.” I say shaking my head, “The right thing to do is not having unprotected sex!”
“Okay, but this is plan B.”
“Tre, I’m not going to marry you just because you knocked me up.”
“It’s not only that, I love you.”
“Yeah, well I love you too, and we’ve loved each other for a while now and you haven’t proposed in that time.”
“Well we might as well.”
“I’m not going to rush into marriage because of the baby.” I say simply, “Maybe after the baby’s born, I’ll reconsider.”

“Do you forgive me?” Tre asks childishly. I look at him for a moment and see he’s really sorry looking, “Please, I love you.”
“Yeah.” I sigh as he puts his lips against mine.

I put my head in my arms and whimper.
“Uh, uh, what’s wrong?” Tre asks worriedly.
“I’m going to have to tell my parents.” I mutter as I rub my face against my arm.
“Shit, I’m gonna get castrated aren’t I?” Tre mutters.
“Errr yeah.”
“Well we could always . . .”
“I’m not getting an abortion!” I practically yells.
“What? No, oh god no!” Tre says, his eyes bulging, “We could act as if it was a planned pregnancy.” I cock an eyebrow, “That way they’ll have to be happy for us.”
“They’ll still be pissed.”
“Yeah, but not as pissed.”
“That somehow makes perfect sense.” I say rubbing my eyes.