Gutter ***s

The Wedding

I wake up and it takes me a second to remember where I am. Tre and I moved into the flat yesterday, all we’ve got in our room is the mattress on the floor and four milk crates with our clothes in them. Tre is not in the room, so I get up and head to the kitchen where he’s sitting on the counter eating a bowl of cereal in green plaid boxers and a promotional Yoohoo t-shirt.

“We really need to buy some stuff for this place.” I yawn as I go to kiss him. I grab the other bowl off the counter and fill it with cereal and milk. All we have in the kitchen is two bowls, two spoons, two forks, two knives, two plates, a pot, cocoa puffs and milk in the fridge.

“Yeah.” He says chuckling as I join him on the counter, “Like fruitloops.”

“Yeah.” I laugh, “or plates and stuff, maybe a table.”

“And groceries.” He pipes up.

“Sofa for the living room.”

“And a TV.”

“Well of course.” I say rolling my eyes, “Life without TV will be torture.”

“I’m just glad the last people who lived here left the fridge and stove.”

“They also left a microwave but I threw it out when it started sparking.”

“Good call.” I mumble as I shove a spoonful of cocoa puffs into my mouth.

“MMM!” I say suddenly.

“Mmm?” Tre says looking over at me.

“I totally forgot, today’s the wedding.” I say as Tre just laughs.

“You should’ve seen your face, I thought you found the answer to E equals MC square.”

“Very funny.” I say slapping his arm, “What time is it?”

“Ten thirty.”

“Shite, I have to get ready.” I say downing the rest of my cereal.

“So does this mean I ain’t getting morning sex?” he calls after me as I go into the washroom.

“No!” I laugh as I turn on the shower.

As I’m testing the water, morning sickness kicks in, this baby is pure evil. I throw up into the toilette then get into the shower and wash up as fast as I can. I grab our only towel and dry off before hanging the towel on the shower curtain rod so it’ll be dry for Tre to use.

“Nudey!” Tre calls as I head into our room buck naked. I dig through one of the milk crates for bra and panties. Tre walks into the room and sits on the mattress and watches me as I put on my blue dress, “You look pretty.”

“Thanks.” I say dropping to my knees on the mattress and kissing him. I stand up and put on my sandals as he picks at his toe. I pick up my make-up bag and camera bag and head for the door, “I’ll see you later.” I call from the living room as I shove my make up bag into my purse.

“Bye!” he calls.

I take the bus to the apartment and let myself in to find Adie and Ana eating a breakfast of coffee, toast and runny eggs.

“You want some?” Adie offers. I look over the food and feel like gagging, the smell alone is getting to me.

“No thanks, I already ate.” I say trying not to breath in through my nose. I plop down my purse and camera bag before sitting on the couch with them, “So where are the guys?”

“Uhh well Billie and Mike went to my place to get ready.” Ana informs, “Jackson is still here and Henry is umm I don’t know where Henry is.”

“I wonder if Tre knows he has go to your place.” I mumble as I slip off my sandals and pull my legs up to my chest.

“Yeah, Mike called him yesterday.” Ana says as Adie just smirks.

“Excited?” I tease.

“Yeah.” She says anxiously, “I wanna put on my dress, I should put it on now, you know, in case I have to adjust it or anything.” She rambles excitedly as she gets up and heads into her and Billie’s room.

“How much coffee did she drink?” I ask Ana.

“Only that cup, as far as I know.” She says as she takes the last bite of toast. She picks up the plates and takes them to the kitchen, I lie on the couch and repeat the words don’t puke over and over in my head. Ana comes back into the room and I sit up quickly, “Are you okay?”

“Uhh yeah, morning sickness.” I mumble.

Adie bursts into the room with her dress on.

“You look gorgeous.” I say pretending that I’m not about to throw up all my vital organs.

“Thanks.” She says anxiously.

She rummages through her purse that’s on the floor for a thick hair elastic then ties up all her dreads before heading into the washroom.

“Oh Ana, I feel so sick.” I moan as I lean against her.

“Well, don’t puke on me.” she says with a short laugh.

“This is going to last another good half hour of agony.” I roll over on the couch and grab the makeup bag out of my purse.

“Guess I should get ready too.” Ana sighs as she stands up heads for the room she and Mike could now proudly call their own.

I apply my makeup and then lie on the couch to try and sleep a little. I wake up to the sound of knocking and I drone over to the door, catching a glimpse of Adie and Ana both putting on their makeup in the washroom. I open the door to find an older woman standing there, then I realize its Billie’s mom.

“Hi,” I say awkwardly.

“Hello,” she says with a kind smile, “I’m Ollie, Billie’s mom.”

“Yeah,” I say letting her in, “I’m Lisea, uhh Tre’s girlfriend.” She smiles.

“Billie isn’t here, is he?” she asks looking around the apartment.

“No, he, Mike and Tre went to get ready at Mike’s girlfriend’s apartment.”

“Okay good, last thing I want is bad luck on his wedding day.” She sits on the couch calmly.

We spend the next hour or so getting ready before heading out to the backyard when people started arriving. A lot of them I recognize from Gilman, then there’s others who judging by the resemblance must be Billie’s siblings. Finally, Billie’s car pulls up and he, Mike and Tre step out dressed the best I’ve seen them. Ollie starts crying at the sight of Billie and walks up to him and gives him a hug. The officiate pulls up in a car a mere few seconds later.

“Yeah, let’s get married.” Billie says happily as he takes Adie’s arm and they stand under the flower arch way they set up yesterday.