Green Day Mystery

Chapter One

“Thank you for all of your concern and support when we were on hiatus! We wouldn’t be here on this stage without you. You, as our loving fans, give us more inspiration then you will ever know. It is because of you and only you that we are part on this concert. So please, give money to the charities. They need it now more then ever. One person’s donation can change so many people’s lives. Please be generous. There is a reason why this concert is called Live Aid.” Billie Joe Armstrong, the front man and lead guitar player of the biggest punk rock band Green Day, said before he walked off the stage to join his best friends and band mates.

Mike Dirnt (bass guitar and back-up vocals) and Tre Cool (drums) and Billie walked to where their personalized limo was waiting for. As they did, they began talking about what they were going to do for the remainder of the week. Even though they were done with the Live Aid benefit concert, the band was calling a touring break because they have some company for the next couple weeks and they wanted to spend some time with their visitors.

“I can’t believe that our children wanted to come on tour with us,” said Tre.

“Yeah. I mean, they always say they miss us, but they have never asked to come until now. When they were young, it would have been easier to hide them the public eye. But now, with them being so independent…” Mike’s voice trails off.

The men reached the limo that would drive them to the hotel where their beloved children were waiting for them to return from the concert. The ride was silent because all three men were thinking of how much mischief they got into when they were the younger.

Tre, father of Ramona (17) and Frankito (11), had once been put in jail for two days for defacing public property; he was 19 at the time. Billie, father of Joey (17) and Jakob (14), had been arrested for Minor in Procession for having weed at the age of 15. Mike, father of Stella (15) and been arrested for public exposure at the age of 16 and again at the age of 18. As they thought of the other illegal things they have done and gotten away within their pasts, the 40 year old men hoped with every fiber of their beings that their kids didn’t follow in their exact footsteps.

When the limo reached the hotel, Billie, Mike and Tre hurried to the elevator and pushed the button to call the elevator to the lobby, Tre said something that strangely calmed them all down a little.

“I don’t think our kids are as stupid as us when we were their age.”

Even though there was a six year age difference between the eldest and the youngest, the Green Day kids were always together. One of the only times that they weren’t together is when they were in school, but even then they were not apart for long. They always found ways to hang out during the time when they should be in class. They never got in trouble because the teachers knew that no amount of punishment could stop them from talking to each other. Like fathers, like children…

When the elevator reached the lobby and opened its doors, the men walked in and Billie pushed the button for the fourth floor. The doors closed and the men felt themselves being lifted to the fourth floor of the beautiful hotel. On the ride up, Billie, Mike, and Tre talked about how great the concert was and how they couldn’t wait to see their kids, because they hadn’t seen them since yesterday at 9:00pm; when they put them to bed. When the elevator stopped at the fourth floor, the doors opened to a wide hallway with the walls decorated with the signatures for most of the other celebrities that had stayed in that hotel room floor. The kind of celebrities that normally stayed at this hotel were musical artists, but some actors, actresses, and other celebrities stayed there as well. Celebrities like Zach Braff, Jennifer Aniston, and Paris Hinton (even though she denies staying there). Green Day stopped at the door to the hotel room where they and their children were staying: room 514.

“I’m glad that our kids are kind of like us in some ways,” said Mike.

“Yeah. Wait. In what ways are we glad about?” questioned Billie, totally confused.

“Well, one way is that they can be stuck in a room for a long period of time and not kill each other,” explained Mike.

“It helps that they are best friends and couldn’t live their lives to the fullest without each other. Just like us...,” added Tre as reached into his back pocket to retrieve his wallet to get the room key card to open the door.

“Oh, ok. I got it. Yeah, it is good that our babies are just like us in that way,” concluded Billie.