Sequel: Slowly Falling Apart
Status: Active

Slowly Dying Alone

Kylie's Doctor's Visit

Image
banner made by C'est Moi C:

Image
banner made by Falling.Down

.....The next day, Denise and Nick sat with Kylie in the hospital waiting for her new doctor to enter the room. Kylie was nervous, but she was glad that Denise had suggested that Nick come with them. Kylie knew that he understood the idea of having to deal with something that could kill you, and she was happy to see that he was more then willing to be supportive of her. Just as Kylie was starting to get antsy, a short balding doctor walked into the room.

.....“Kaylin Martin?” he asked looking down at his papers.

.....“Kylie, please,” Kylie said as she reached out to shake the man’s hand.

.....“Well Kylie, I’m Dr. Carlson,” he started after shaking her hand. “Dr. Brian sent your files over, and I have to say, that everything is looking good.”

.....“Good as in…?” Kylie trailed off.

.....“Good as in…” he stopped, once again looking over her file. “Well to be honest it looks like this regiment that they have you on is working. As far as I can see the cancer is slowing. How long have you been on this particular regiment?”

.....“Since November,” Kylie said. The doctor nodded before looking over his papers.

.....“I believe that you will be able to stay at home while continuing your regiment. Now Mrs. Jonas, right?” Dr. Carlson said looking at Denise.

.....“Denise, please,” she said as she also shook his hand. “And this is my son Nicholas.” Nick also shook the doctor’s hand.

.....“Right then, you’ve stated that your boys will be doing a world tour this summer, and you want to insure that Miss Martin here will be able to travel with?”

.....Denise nodded, “Yes, we believe it will do her a world of good.” This was the first that Kylie had been told of going on tour.

.....“Well I believe that as long as the cancer continues to slow, then there should be no issue with her traveling, providing that she has access at all time to a hospital. If you are able to provide me a list of all the places you will be in, I will get you a list of hospital that have her regiment needs. Going over seas will be a little harder, but I am sure we can get something to work.” Kylie was beginning to hate those notes in his hand. She was tired of him constantly looking them over. “So with that said, today is an IV day. If Kylie will follow me, will get her all hooked up, in the chemo room,” Dr. Carlson said as he stood up. Kylie stood as well, and followed the man to room he had been talking about. The room was bright, supposedly to help a child feel at ease. The chairs were large, and the big comfy kind, even though, sitting in them for a long period of time can get a tad uncomfortable. Dr. Carlson led Kylie right up to a nurse.

.....“Kylie this is Nurse Betty, she will be assisting you today,” he said as he then left the folder with Nurse Betty and left the room.

.....“So Kylie, right?” Kylie nodded. “As he said, I’m Nurse Betty, and it’s my job to ensure that you are happy and doing well, while sitting there for three hours. So who are these people?” she asked. Kylie looked back and noticed Denise and Nick standing nearby.

.....“This is Denise and Nick, Denise is my new foster mom, and Nick is her son,” Kylie said softly.

.....“Well it’s great to see such support,” she said with a smile. “Right this way.” Nurse Betty led them to a seat in the back of the room, off from all the other kids currently sitting in their chairs. “I’ll just hook Kylie up, and then Denise you and I can discuss any questions that you might have,” Nurse Betty said with compassion. Kylie sat at the chair and held her right hand out for the nurse. Nurse Betty worked quickly to find the right vein and hook the needle into Kylie’s skin. She then took a nearby IV stand with some medicine already attached at the top. Nurse Betty brought the long rope like IV down and attached it to the contraption that had been already placed on Kylie’s arm. She then pushed some buttons on the machine of the IV, and then led Denise over to the desk on the other side of the room.

.....Kylie leaned back against the chair and then looked over at Nick.

.....“Sickening, isn’t it?” she asked with a slight smile. Nick looked up at her and gave a slight smile as well. He was dressed with his hat and sunglasses, trying not to bring any attention to himself.

.....“I’m used to pricking myself, but I’m not really used to watching someone else get hooked to an IV,” he admitted sheepishly. Kylie gave a shrug.

.....“After a while, it gets better. Of course the after affect of the drugs will not be pretty. I’m just glad that I wore the scarf and not the hair piece today,” Kylie said as she looked around her chair. She found a magazine and picked it up. “I guess you’re more then a little popular, huh?” she asked as she held the front page to Nick. He laughed and smiled.

.....“I guess, the girls really love us,” he said, rubbing the back of his neck. Kylie grinned and opened the page to read the article about the brothers.

.....“Oh look, I could find out which Jonas Brother is right for me,” Kylie said with a teasing voice. Nick laughed and pulled the article from Kylie’s hands. He looked it over and shook his head.

.....“Do you want to take it?” Nick asked with a smirk.

.....“No, I don’t need a magazine to figure out my fate, but you can if you want,” Kylie said with a laugh. Nick laughed as well, and just placed the magazine back onto the side table, next to the chair.

.....For the next three hours Nick did his best to keep things that Kylie didn’t want to think about, off her mind. She got to laugh, and giggle, and for the first time, Kylie was able to ignore the nausea that always threatened to come at the end. She didn’t know why Nick was able to keep her mind off the sickness, but Kylie was glad that for the first time, someone was able to help her. Nurse Betty soon came back to Kylie’s chair and began looking over the IV machine.

.....“Well Kylie, I believe you are done,” she said kindly. Nick watched the nurse remove the IV and the hook out of Kylie’s skin. The nurse placed some gauze and tape on the arm and then handed Kylie some juice and a couple cookies. “We’ll see you in two days,” Nurse Betty added as she moved on to the next chair.

.....“What is the juice and cookies for?” Nick asked curious.

.....“The IV sometimes lower ones blood sugar, so I have to consume sugary stuff in order to keep my body in balance,” Kylie said as she started sipping the juice.

.....“Kind of like diabetes, huh?” Kylie nodded with a smile and then started to sway. Nick grabbed onto her arm, holding her steady.

.....“This happens every time,” Kylie said, her voice starting to mumble. Nick just nodded and carefully helped Kylie get to the door where his mom was waiting.

.....For the next several hours, Nick watched Kylie lose control of her body in the most horrible way. He watched her cling to the toilet and water bottle that Nick had brought her. She did not keep the sugary stuff in her system for long after eating them, and since then had not eaten a thing. Nick was concerned, but his mom had assured him, that it was natural for Kylie to be sick after being injected with drugs. What worried Nick the most; taking Kylie on tour with them. He knew that the drugs that Kylie was on killed not only the bad things in her body, but also the good things, like her immune system. Kylie was more likely to get sick on tour because of the drugs, than she would if she was a normal everyday healthy girl.

.....He expressed his concerns to his parents, and they both took the time to explain to Nick exactly how they would be doing all they could to insure that nothing serious happened to Kylie. That plan included hiring a trained nurse to be with Kylie at all times.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
Five Stars!!

Thanks to:

coolcat2003 -- I so glad that your nephew is doing so much better!! Thank you so much for commenting!!!
Pufferfish?!! 8D -- Thank you so much! I'm glad you are enjoying this story!!
Piano -- I always love getting new banners!! Message me and we can work something out!
Falling.Down -- I know the feeling... I have an idea of how I want this story to turn and even I am getting excited over what I have written so far!! Your character will introduced within the next couple of chapters, so be on the look out!!!
C'est Moi C: -- I love it too!! I'm glad that you are enjoying this story as much as I am! Be on the lookout for your character within the next couple of chapters!!
runawaywithme;; -- I am glad that you are enjoying this story. Your story sounds interesting, and maybe a little sad. Writing stories about kids with cancer is always hard...