Sequel: Slowly Falling Apart
Status: Active

Slowly Dying Alone

Sober Vengeance

Image
new banner made by me!

Image
second banner made by C'est Moi C:

Image
second banner made by My heart slows down;

Image
banner made by sober heart;

Image
banner made by My heart slows down;

Image
banner made by C'est Moi C:

Image
banner made by ShellyVengence

.....Daniel Baron hadn't touched a beer in over fourteen hours and it was killing him. He knew that needed to look like a respectable man who had been spending years to look for his long lost daughter. Daniel walked into the Douglas County Human Services Building for his meeting with Martha Bidderman. He walked up to the front desk, where a lady sat typing on the computer in front of her.

.....“I have an appointment with Martha Bidderman,” he stated more calmly then he felt.

.....“Have a seat, she’ll be right with you,” the lady said without looking up from her computer. Daniel glared at the lady, but she didn’t budge from the screen, so he went and sat in one of the chairs provided. Daniel was only sitting there for a few minutes when a plump woman came out of one of the offices.

.....“Mr. Baron?” the lady questioned. Daniel nodded before following her. They sat down in her office and just stared at each other for a moment. “What can I do for you, Mr. Baron?” she finally asked breaking the silence. Daniel stared for a moment longer before taking the newspaper out that he had found. He flattened it out the paper and laid it before Miss Bidderman.

.....“I have reason to believe that she is my lost daughter,” Daniel said, pointing to the girl in the pictures. Miss Bidderman stated at the picture before sighing.

.....“Mr. Baron, this girl,” Miss Bidderman paused, “This child has been placed with a family. When she came into our services there was no family to come and claim her. She was officially placed as a ward of the state. How are we supposed to believe that she’s your daughter?” Daniel pulled out the picture that he had to scrounge for in his house.

.....“My wife and I were going through the process of divorce when they both suddenly disappeared. At the time, my daughter Mikayla Lynn,” he spat the name, “was five at the time. Six months later I was informed by police that they found my wife and daughters bodies in the nearby river. Both bodies were too mangled to get a clear I.D. but it was clear that it was them. Imagine my surprise when I found this,” he pointed to the newspaper article. “This Kylie Martin is my daughter…I am sure of it,” Daniel explained adamantly. He then slid the picture of his wife with the five year old child. “This is my wife with our daughter. Compare the two and you’ll see that this girl looks just like her – my former wife.” Miss Bidderman looked down at the picture and gasped.

.....“Mr. Baron, you’ll have to take this case to court. I can’t just hand this child over to you. She needs a lot of care, which will require the state to decide whether or not you can handle her and the financial burden that will come with her. You’ll have to prove that she is your daughter, and the state will have to look thoroughly into your background. Until then she will stay with the family that have been granted custody of her.” Daniel glared at Miss Bidderman, but she refused to back down.

.....“Fine,” he said with a growl as he stalked out of the room. He walked outside and cursed loudly. This Kylie Martin had it coming. His bitch of a daughter was going to die for leaving him – whether she was willing or not.

***

.....Ashlyn was sitting silently on the stairs as she listened to Kevin talking to Dani.

.....“…I just don’t know what to do,” he was saying with a sigh.

.....“We have to remember that Ashlyn has been through a lot. We can’t expect her to be a happy-go-lucky teen, it’s unfair to assume that what happened to her didn’t affect her,” Dani replied with a concerning sigh. Kevin groaned.

.....“I know that Dani. But we can’t let her continue this attitude binge that she’s on.”

.....“I understand that Kevin, but I don’t know what it is that you want to do about it.” Kevin once again sighed.

.....“I just don’t know; she’s pushing everyone away. Joe’s about ready to just write her off and I know if he did that, it would kill her.” Ashlyn gasped silently. Joe couldn’t do that, could he?

.....“If Joe does that, then it will be his loss. Joe and Ashlyn have been best friends for far too long, for him to just forget about her. Most of his childhood memories involve Ashlyn,” Dani said reasonably.

.....“Well if Ashlyn doesn’t fix her attitude, then Joe may have no other choice. Everyone is too concerned over Kylie right now, to have to deal with Ashlyn as well.”

.....“So again, what is it that you want to do?”

.....“Maybe we could go…as a family…and speak to someone?”

.....“You mean like a psychiatrist?”

.....“Yeah, maybe they will be able to break through her.”

.....“You honestly believe that sending her to a shrink is the best answer?” Dani asked in disbelief.

.....“No…not the best answer…but maybe it’s the only answer,” Kevin sighed. “Dani, I just don’t know what to do…she’s so hateful to everyone I feel like she would have been best left with the California Human Services,” his voice breaking. Ashlyn mouth popped open. He honestly couldn’t believe that…could he?

.....“Oh Kevin,” Dani said, her voice breaking from the tears. Ashlyn had heard enough. She got up and walked toward her room. She took out the cell that Kevin had bought her and starred at it for a while, before opening it up and searching for a number under ‘J.’ She pushed the dial button and carefully placed the phone to her ear.

.....Hey, its Joe’s phone…I’m not here, leave me a message,” his phone went right to voice-mail.

.....“Hey Joe…its Ashlyn…listen call me…whenever really. I just need to talk to someone,” Ashlyn said and then hung up the phone. She threw the phone onto the bed and once again sighed. She was tired of people telling her that there was something wrong with her.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I've written a short story for a contest To view the contest go here Contest for C'est Moi C:. To view my story go here As Fragile as a Lily. Please let me know what you think of my short story!!!

ShellyVengeance -- It does get annoying... I was so far ahead in this story as well as with my other two stories that now I have to backtrack just to remember what I wrote before. So while it will take me longer to get caught up, I'll be happy when I'm finally ahead again! You my dear girl are a comedy show in itself, and I love it! And don't worry about this chapter, Ashlyn's not going to go soft...

Breathless Tallie -- I really was trying to go for powerful, but simple. I've never been good with writing romance, but I've been working on that area of my writing. At least the affection and kissing area... you really won't find me writing about the other area... and I have to agree with you, that chapter was my favorite too!

My heart slows down; -- The sad thing is... my computer is fairly new... the hard-drive just crashed... but I've got a new hard-drive, and a spy-sweeper that stores my files online, so should it ever crash again, this won't happen!

mama-val -- I know what you mean...in the beginning I had thought that Payton would be my favorite to write about, but I soon realized that dealing with a rebel is way more fun! Not that I don't love Payton - but Ashlyn is a new type of character for me to work with, and I'm finding myself more and more eager to write about her! There will be a lot of drama between Joe, Payton, and Ashlyn... but I think that wil make the story more fun, since I don't plan to place drama in Nick and Kylie's lives... I think they've both got enough drama to deal with...