Sand in Your Shoes

Cadence Elizabeth Pope seems to be neither here nor there. You can see her and you can speak to her, but she has never been quite all there. She has a void deep down in the pit of her stomach that she just can’t seem to fill. She’s never had very many friends & she’s been living with a horrible guilt her whole life. Her life started out with tragedy when her mother passed away bringing Cadence into the world. There were several complications with the pregnancy and the delivery. There was nothing the doctors could do to save her. Cadence is an only child and with no mother and a father that turned to drugs and alcohol to deal with the death of his wife, Cadence was left to be raised by her loving Aunt Dawn. The only thing Cadence has in her life to help her deal the pain of life in general is her music.

Brain Pope, Cadence’s father, was never in her life much. Deep down, he blames Cadence for the death of his wife and has never been able to fully love his daughter. He helped support her financially, sending Aunt Dawn money to help take care of Cadence. He sent money at least once, sometimes twice a week. No one ever knew where the money came from.
Brian has recently passed away. It is eighteen years to the day of his wife’s passing, which means that it is also Cadence’s eighteenth birthday. After a day of drinking and drug abusing, Brian decides he can’t cope one moment longer and puts a bullet in his brain.
This is Cadence’s journey through the life of her father. During this journey she finds the missing puzzle piece. The part of her that she always felt wasn’t there. She knew that she was missing part of herself because she was basically an orphan. Her mother was dead and she never knew her father. She assumed this was the missing piece: her parents. On this journey Cadence realizes this isn’t the case at all. She meets the one person she never knew she needed. The one person who can help her fill the void.
Cadence also learns more about her father than she could have ever hoped. Cadence has never been part of the “in-crowd”. She’s always felt a little bit different than everyone around her. Through her father’s life, she will learn who she really is.

One-shot Contest!

word count: 3,450

Song: "Sand in your Shoes" by this Providence