Status: In Progress! (I promise to keep adding as much as I can!!)

Hide and Seek

Friends

Whoever said staring intensely at the ceiling calmed the nerves was a huge fuck head. It didn't solve anything. I just proved that.

I had been staring at the ceiling for the past ten minutes, hands interlocked behind my head, legs outstretched, not learning a damn thing. I was still restless from the dinner with psycho neighbor from hell.

"I love you. And you love me. You told me that day."

I never told you anything. I don't even know you.

"You remember my wings, right?"

What wings? What fucking wings?

Tears streaming down her cheeks, cheeks splashed red from embarrassment, confusion, and hurt...

This image plagued me for days. The questions were endless. They attacked me with a ferocity I had never encountered before, and therefore, had no idea how to deal with. So, I took the easy route and avoided all contact with Mia. I took the long way to school, escaping out the back door of the apartment complex. I raced to the fence, hopped over it, and prayed that she didn't see me, every day. I returned in the same method.

By the end of the week my jeans sported flashy lime-green grass stains at the knees, ripped seams near my ankles, and loose strings on the sides of each pant leg, due to excessive hopping of the fence.

And, to my disdain, I was forced to cuff my jeans to keep the loose strings from dragging on the ground and collecting unwanted random shit on the ground. Damn, it's hard to avoid someone forever.

Unfortunately, I couldn't avoid her forever.

The inevitable day was a Wednesday. I hate Wednesdays. They're in the middle of the week, when things are slow going, and school is overbearing. I was exhausted from the grueling math test I had taken not an hour before. I was so exhausted that I had forgotten to take the long route home to avoid unwanted contact with Mia.

It took me a moment to realize that she was walking in step with me. My eyelids drooped over my tired eyes, making my vision slightly blurred. I sensed her presence and let my eyes slide to the left to locate her person. She trotted happily beside me, bag swinging left and right. She had on this really broad smile that said, "I don't have a care in the world!" It was unnerving.

"So I've been thinking . . ." she began in a conversational tone, as if the past week of avoiding her had never occurred. I stared at her in disbelief. Man, was she hard to shake off. Persistent thing. "Maybe I came on a little strong with the whole 'love me thing'. I know it's going to take time for you to remember. I was just so eager to get you back it slipped out. But I can wait. I know that now. I can wait for however long it takes." Again, Mia beamed at me with brilliantly white teeth.

I squinted up at her, wondered if she was certifiably insane, decided she definitely was, and scratched the back of my neck. Nervous, as usual.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I replied flatly.

Mia continued to smile. "That's fine! I'll be here as long as it takes!"

"Uh..." I was speechless. As long as it takes? Damn, that sounds like a long fucking time. I don't understand. What the fuck is going on?

She was nodding at me, waiting for an adequate answer.

"How 'bout we just be friends? Sound good?" I suggested. That's how it usually goes, right?

Mia clapped her hands in delight and jumped up and down. "Yay yay yay! Of course! I'd love to be your friend!"

I eyed her warily. She has too much energy for me. I'm practically swimming in her positive energy. "Cool . . . now that that's settled. I think I should get home. I've got a lot to do. Studying, college, you know."

Mia cocked her head to the side. "You're busy?"

"Uh, yeah. It's school. I'm always busy." I emphasized 'always' to throw her off a little bit.

She wasn't the slightest bit deterred. "Well we can do a ton of stuff when you're done! Like..." and she launched into a long ass list of 'activities' we have to do.

I mentally did an eye roll and settled into my easy going pace. One step in front of the other. Left, right, left, right, I thought to myself. Anything to keep her out.

Finally, the apartment building loomed up in front of me, it's shadow casting a gloomy welcome upon my weathered shoes. I smiled in spite of myself. Mia thought it was in response to her latest chatter.

"So you do want to come over for dinner? Oh goodie! That's so great! I'll go prepare it right now! I'll get you at 5:30!"

Wait, what? Hold the hell up. Did I just agree to go have dinner with her? But I have college to worry about and homework and...shit.

At 5:30 on the dot there was a light knock on my bedroom door. I flinched, knowing it was her and dreading the evening.

"Yeah?" I called out warily. And unnecessarily.

Mia charged right in. I sniffed the air, wrinkling my nose.

"Damn, what is that smell? It's awful," I complained. I eyed the dirty apron wrapped around her waist. But, of course, I thought when I noticed that it was blackened and torn.

Mia shifted from foot to foot, twiddled her thumbs. "About that..."

I sighed, understanding without her saying anything. "Let me guess, it's a take-out night?"

She exhaled, clearly relieved. "Yup. You see, the food...it kind of..."

I waved my hand at her. "It's fine. Whatever. Let's just order chinese or something."

She beamed at me, making me cringe back a little. "Okie dokie!" She pranced into the living room as I pushed myself to my feet.

"Phone is in the kitchen on the left counter!" I shouted to her before she could tear apart my apartment looking for it.

Silence answered me. I walked to the kitchen, tensed, prepared for any attack she might attempt. The kitchen was empty. What the...?

Whooooshh, the open window breathed at me, swishing my hair around my face. I frowned at it, trying to recall when I had opened it. I shrugged, giving up and went to close it. God, it was cold.

I thought about checking Mia's apartment to see if she was there but thought better of it. If she wants to eat dinner with me, she'll come.

Now...back to homework.

I was intensely focused on my world history research paper about the Tang Dynasty when I heard to flutter of bird wings. I looked up, confused at how close they sounded. Mia stood before me clutching a plastic bag of steaming chinese food. As always, she was smiling down at me.

"I got the food!" she thrust the bag into my face.

Christ, I didn't even hear her come in. "Y-yeah. Let's go eat," I suggested, abandoning my paper for the meal.

I grabbed some paper plates while Mia opened the box of chow mein and orange chicken. The steam wafted from the boxes in abundance, shielding her face and stirring her hair. Her skin glowed and there was something not quite human about it. I stared blatantly at her, trying to figure out what was creating that effect.

"What?" she asked, cocking her head to the side, fingers coated in orange chicken sauce.

"Nothing," I shook my head and turned back to the utensils in my now clenched fist. I relaxed and released my vise like grip on the metal forks. Thank god they weren't plastic. I would have broken those for sure.

For a moment, everything felt natural, right, easy. Me, chomping on some chow mein. Her, licking her fingertips messily.

"You know," she began. "Noodles were your favorite food."

I stopped chewing. Fuck, not this shit again. I swallowed and tried to convince her that I had no idea what she was talking about.

"No, no, I know you don't remember. But you will," Mia stated, turning her gaze on me. "You will."

Slowly, a smile crept across her face. I instantly hated that smile. It was too knowing, too full of secrets, too . . . familiar.
♠ ♠ ♠
loving 3OH!3's new-ish album Streets of Gold.
I have an unhealthy obsession with Touchin' On My and Hey.
Go listen nowww (: