Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

The soft sounds of my favorite song drifted over to me, across the room from my sad excuse of a karaoke machine. We twirled slowly, weaving our way around the empty space she called my manic-room.

"A place for you to dance," she said. "A place you can fill with your music," she said. "A place that's yours," she said, and kissed my nose.
"What if I want it to be a place that's ours?" I said, and kissed her lips. She smiled against my mouth.
"Then, baby girl, I'll be here anytime you want."


And so it became our manic-room. But I never, ever forgot that she made it for me. There was never a moment I didn't notice the butterflies, painted for me because she knew I loved them, fluttering across the ceiling and spilling onto the wall. I never ceased to see the message on the door, proclaiming to all who could read, "MAY IN THE MAKING; PLEASE KNOCK!" I saw the words she didn't write, the pictures she hadn't painted. I love you. It was reflected in the butterflies, in the message, in the existence of the room itself. All said the words she couldn't.

I buried my head into her chest, into the safety, the protection, the comfort that was being in her arms. The song ended on the same satisfying note as always, and silence filled the room. Brenna continued to sway, and I swayed with her.

"'Cause blue eyes," The whisper of her voice filled my consciousness, and I looked up to see her beautiful brown eyes. She looked down at me, continuing to sing. "I just wanna be the one." My heart thumped, pounded in my chest. Where was this going? "Be mine, forever?" She was always so sure, but now, her voice was strangely hesitant, her face tight, controlled. I kissed her softly on the cheek, and leaned in to whisper in her ear.

"Forever and always."

Her features relaxed. She looked down at me again, still worried.
"Marry me?"
She forced the words out in a tumbled rush of breath I could just barely hear. I stopped moving, stepped back, stared at her. My eyes filled with tears, and she turned away. I took in a deep breath, almost not believing my ears. And then I jumped on her, knocking her to the ground.

"Yes, yes, yes, oh my god, oh my goodness, oh my, my, my, yes!" And then she smiled, grabbing my face, kissing me softly, gently, sweetly. I snuggled into her side, and her arm wrapped around me, just like always.

"My eyes are brown, you know." She laughed, and brushed some hair out of my face.

"I know."