Love Comes In Many Dangerous Forms

Zane

I set Jimmy on the bed, and entered my closet. I changed out of the black dress and into my bathing suit so I could go to the beach later I pulled a simple white cotton dress over it. I threw my black heels off hoping my feet will never go through that torture again, and replaced them with simple white sandals.

I plucked the hairpins and tiara out of my blonde hair, and my hair fell down in loose curls. I ran my fingers though the strands, and walked over to the other side of the closet where Jimmy’s clothes were. I opened to dresser drawer and took out a pair of swim trunks and a white shirt for Jimmy.

Jimmy loved going to the beach and making sandcastles. He would spend hours building them, and I would help him pick out seashells to decorate the castle, and build moats. He would play pretend. I would always be the immortal princess whose castle was under attack by werewolves, and he would be the night in shining armor.

I came back into the room and handed Jimmy his swim trunks and the white t-shirt.

“Why don’t you change go change into these?” I smiled as his face brightened.

“Thanks Cassie!” He grinned taking the fabric out of my hands and running into the bathroom shutting the door behind him.

I looked around the room to find only Audrey here leaning against the wall next to the door that lead into the hallway.

“Where’s-” I was about to ask where everybody was, but she cut me off.

“They had to get back to work,” she answered, “Now let’s find all about your future shall we?” She asked throwing the unopened envelope on the bed.

I sighed and picked up the envelope, and sat on my bed, with her sitting next to me.

I felt like the weight on my shoulders was lifted, but only to be crashed down with extreme force. A million things were running through my mind, and all of them were incoherent. They were mainly about the marriage, responsibilities, and the future. I was terrified of all of them.

I felt the pointed tips of the thick envelope, afraid to break the seal. When I even come close to touching the seal, it felt like my hand was burning.

“C-can you open it?” I asked Audrey.

“Sure,” she answered, taking the envelope from me and broke the seal, and emptied out its contents.

“It says that you’re marring Prince Colton Nevatrix, and it shows a picture of him,” she added handing me a picture, “and that he is coming in three days.”

“What?!” I exclaimed putting my head in my hands, not even bothering to look at the face of my fiancée.

“Oh my…” I heard her gasp and looked up to see her horror stricken expression.

“What now,” I sighed.

“It says that y-you have to produce an heir,” the envelope and all of its contents slipped through her fingers.

Jimmy came back in the room, and I rushed over to him and picked Jimmy up.

I felt like crying. I can’t take it, I can’t do this. I had to get away, just for a little bit. I sprinted out the door and grabbed my cloak, and ran down the hallways and staircases. I felt like the world was crashing down on me, and it was crashing hard.

“What’s wrong Cassie?” he asked wiping stray tears that were running down my face.

“Nothing you need to worry about sweetie, we’re going to the beach okay?”

He nodded his head and rested it against the crook of my neck.

I went outside and went to the stables. I set Jimmy on his feet while I put my cloak over my head, and strapped the on Aidan’s saddle.

Aidan was my midnight black horse. He used to be a war horse but he was injured in battle and was going to be put down. I saved him, and my parents gave him to me for my birthday. It was hard to believe that he used to help soldiers because he was so sweet. He was a scared when I met him, but he trusted me now.

I picked Jimmy up again and placed him on the front of the saddle. And I got on with him, and lightly pressed my heel into Aidan’s side signaling for him to trot out off the stables, and he took off in a sprint.

The iron gate opened, and I waved to the guard up in the tower. I was allowed to leave the castle, because my parents were afraid I would go to extremes again, like climbing walls and letting a baby vampire bit you. I still had to wear the stupid cloak whenever I did go out, and I had to carry a knife with me, in case I did get into trouble.

Aidan sprinted through the village, and we finally we got to the beach. I hopped off Aidan and lead him over to a wooden post and tied his reins to it so he wouldn’t run off. I reached into the sack attached to the saddle and pulled out a couple of slices of red apple.

I could feel his nose nuzzle into my hand as he ate the slices. I ran my fingers through his mane.

“Good boy,” I said as he consumed the last slice.

I pulled Jimmy off the saddle and started walking over to the water. I breathed in a deep breath, loving the smell of seawater. I felt the baking sand shift under my feet, and I heard the peaceful sound of waves crashing against the seashore.

“Down, down,” Jimmy ordered excitedly.

I laughed and set him down. He took off towards the water.

I sat down on the pale sand running my fingers through the grains loving the warmth it gave off. I loved coming here almost as much as Jimmy. I was free of troubles and stresses. I wasn’t Princess Cassiel; I was just plain Cassie when I came here, I was me here.

I looked around to see if anyone was around, but the beach was deserted. I untied the string and my cloak fell onto the sand. I peeled off my dress, reavealing my white bathing suit. I felt the sun beat down over head, as I lied down and relaxed.

I would sometimes hear Jimmy’s laughter and his splashing in the water.

“Cassie, Cassie!” Jimmy exclaimed tugging on my arm.

“What is it Jimmy?” I asked sitting up.

“Fishy man!” he pointed out towards the water hiding behind me.

And there was Zane lying down in the shallow water letting the water brush up against his skin. He was a merman, one of the last ones in the ocean. Humans killed them to use their scales as jewelry. Zane’s tail was a greenish bluish color, matching the highlights in his hair.

“Hey, Cass!” Zane called as he splashed us with water.

I rolled my eyes and wiped the salty water off my face, “Hello Zane.”

“How’d the meeting go?” he asked his black eyes glistening with eagerness.

“I won the completion,” I answered, and it felt like the hundredth time I’ve said that today.

“Aw, I don’t get to be made into jewelry,” he said sarcastically.

“Sorry to disappoint,” I laughed.

“True.”

I leaned down to Jimmy’s level that was still hiding behind me looking at Zane with a fearful expression.

“Why don’t you go work on your sandcastle while I talk to Zane, okay?” I suggested brushing his hair out of his face.

“Okay,” he nodded and sat down a few feet away from us.

“JB has gotten so big since the last time I saw him,” Zane commented.

“You still use that nickname?” I asked.

Zane nodded. He always called Jimmy, JB for his initials Jimmy Brooklyn.

"There's going to be a storm soon," he noticed looking into the distance.

"I want it to be summer again."

"Sorry, Cass, but this is as colse to summer as you're going to get."

I frowed at him.

“So have you met your fiancé yet?” Zane teased.

“Nope, but I will in three days,” I said fearfully.

“Why do you sound so scared?”

“What if he doesn’t like me? What if he thinks I’m a freak like the others do? What if he loves someone else?” the questions kept on flowing out like a fountain.

“Cass, calm down. He has to like you, what’s not to like. If he thinks you’re a freak then Zach, Audrey, and I with beat the hell out of him, until we knock sense into his big head. And if he loves someone else, he’ll just have to suck it up and deal with it because he is going to marry an amazing girl,” he finished smiling.

“Thanks…” I smiled, but it slowly turned into a frown.

“There’s something else isn’t there?” he assumed.

“I… I have to have an heir,” I whispered, afraid.

Zane still heard.

“Can’t Jimmy-.”

“I don’t think so; they have to have royal blood running through their veins. And Jimmy isn’t biologically mine.”

“Don’t worry Cass, you’ll figure out what to do,” he reassured me.

I blinked back tears. I was too young for this; all of this shouldn’t be placed on a seventeen year old - almost eighteen year old - girl’s shoulders. No one should have to deal with this.

I looked out into the ocean, the water glistening as it moved. I saw something bobbing on top moving with the waves.

“What is that?” I asked pointing, trying to figure out what it was.

Zane looked to where I pointed, and his eyes widened.

“It’s a little girl.”

“Go get her hurry! You’re a faster swimmer than me!” I yelled him.

“What’s going on Cassie?” Jimmy asked.

“There’s a little girl in the water,” I answered.

Zane was back, but he couldn’t climb on to the dry sand.

I rushed over to him and gently took the girl out of his arms.

I laid her on the warm sand. I noticed that the skin around her lips was a pale blue, and she wasn’t breathing.

“She still has a heartbeat, you can still save her,” Zane’s words were rushed.

I didn’t hesitate; I pressed the heel of my hand into the little girl’s chest. I tilted my head over her nose and mouth to see if she was breathing. I heard her cough and water flowed out of her tiny mouth. Her breathing was ragged, but she was alive.

She was about Jimmy’s age. Her wet hair looked dark blonde. She had deep gashes slashed across her pale white skin. She also had bruises covering almost every inch of her skin. She looked so breakable; she looked like she hadn’t eaten in weeks.

She finally opened her eyes which shown a bright ruby red.

Déjà vu.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter three tell me what you think!