Love Comes In Many Dangerous Forms

The Raven

(Audrey’s P.O.V.)

I poured water into Lucy’s bowl, and she trotted over and lapped at it thirstily. Jimmy hid behind the corner watching me cautiously.

“I can see you,” I smiled at him.

He inched back, trying to stay hidden as he looked at me distrustfully.

“Come on, it’s your nap time sweetie,” I told him gently, walking up to him and tried to pick him up, but he scooted away from me.

“Only Cassie cawls me dat, sway away from me,” he stated stubbornly.

I sighed, “Jimmy, you know me. I won’t hurt you.”

“No!” he yelled at me, “You wike all the west of dem. I want Cassie.”

“She’s not here,” I reminded him.

He crossed his arms, and looked away from me, his bottom lip jutting out as blood clouded his eyes.

I sighed sitting down next to him.

“She’ll be back soon,” I promised him, “Now let’s get you to bed.”

I gently picked him up, and carried him up to Cassiel’s room and set him on the bed, Lucy panting heavily as she followed us. Jimmy hid under the covers as I put the flames out in the fireplace. And when it cleared something caught my eye.

There was a piece of charred paper was hidden in the far corner of the fireplace. I frowned as I reached for the parchment. I pulled my arm back and looked at the paper.

I couldn’t read the words, but I could see two black eyes staring back at me, horrified.

I looked at it confused, what was it doing in the fire place?

I sighed getting up, and noticed Jimmy was asleep – or pretending to be – and Lucy was curled up next to him, guarding him. I smiled and walked out the room with the burned paper after turning the light out.

I walked down the hallway and stairs when I smelled a familiar intoxicating scent – animal blood. Vera.

I ran, my mouth watering with the bitter taste of venom.

I found her in the kitchen with Elizabeth.

“Hello Audrey,” they both said in unison.

“Hey,” I said quickly, grabbing the glass off the counter, and gulped it down – loving how the warm sweet liquid streamed down my throat, “I just put Jimmy down.”

“Good,” Vera smiled sipping her tea, “Carly just went to sleep a few minutes ago. Was he any trouble?”

“It wasn’t that bad,” I shrugged.

“Trouble? Jimmy’s the sweetest little boy I’ve met,” Elizabeth frowned, confused.

“He had a bad experience when he was a baby,” Vera explained, “He doesn’t trust anyone but Cassiel.”

“Bad experience?” she asked.

“He and his parents were slaves. We think that they escaped somehow, but they weren’t free for very long. A pack of werewolves killed his parents, and were intending on killing him as well, but Cassiel saved him,” I explained, “His parents are buried where they were found.”

“Cassiel…” Elizabeth trailed off with a perplexed expression on her face, “She reminds me of a friend I use to know. She always believed every single person was equal. She broke all of the rules, socializing with another species, marring a demon who was a royal, and she actually cared for humans.”

“And who is this mysterious friend of yours?” I smiled as I sipped my blood.

Elizabeth smiled sadly, “Clara Night.”

I almost choked, “The demon queen?”

She nodded, “She used to be my best friend when we were young. The last time I saw her was at her wedding, before she and Blaine disappeared.”

“I’m sure they will be found soon,” Vera reassured her.

But I knew the tragic truth, but I didn’t say a word about it.

“Hey Vera? Do you know what this is?” I asked handing her the blackened paper.

She took it and tilted her head to the side, confused as her eyes studied it.

“Those are The Death Eyes,” she told me, “They appear on a person right before they die, and only a demon can see it. Why?”

“I found it in Cassiel’s fireplace,” I answered her.

“Why would it be there?” Elizabeth asked.

“I don’t know, but I’m going to find out,” I promised.

***

(Cassiel’s P.O.V.)

I struggled falling asleep, fear pulsed through my veins like a poison. All I could see was the bright orange fabric of the tent that was illuminated by the light of the moon. I crawled out from my sleeping bag, and grabbed a small flashlight. I unzipped the tent quietly and walked outside, letting the wind whisper against my skin. I heard the crunching leaves behind me, I felt my heart quicken as paranoia took over.

“What are you doing?” a familiar voice whisper.

I turned around to see Shane standing near where there use to be a fire, but a few burning embers stood in its place.

“I can’t sleep,” I told him, “I’m going to go for a walk.”

“Do you want me to come with you?” he asked with an expression of worry set on his face.

“I’ll be fine,” I assured him weakly, “I won’t go far.”

“But-,” Shane started, I smiled slightly.

“I’ll be fine,” I whispered.

“Alright,” he sighed.

“I’ll be back soon,” I promised touching his arm for a moment before I walked out of the small clearing.

***

I shivered as the unforgiving wind whipped through my hair violently. It was dark, the moon was hiding behind the cover of the trees, and my flashlight was the only thing lighting my way. But what scared me was the silence. I couldn’t hear any crickets singing their nightly song, or an owl’s hooting. But somewhere – I’m not sure if I was imaging it or not – I heard a raven’s laugh.

I sighed leaning against a nearby tree tiredly. I was about a mile away from camp, and sleep forbade me from walking back to the safety of my tent. I shrunk to the ground defeated, and closed my eyes.

But as soon as I did, the sound of birds wings flapping, dragged me out from the peaceful blindness into a living nightmare.

I looked up and shone my flashlight up to where I heard the sound – right above my head.

And there, looking down at me, was a raven. Its wings were folded carefully across its back. Midnight black feathers were perfectly aligned. Its cold onyx eyes started down at me, and it looked like it was smirking at me. And purple flames flickered violently around it.

The same fire that had surrounded the whole forest was radiating from this bird – from him.

I couldn’t break my gaze from it. All my thoughts disappeared as did my will. The raven captivated everything. All I could see was the black purple tinted fire.

But there was one thing that dragged me back, I felt something thick and wet stream down my back. I looked away from the raven and curiously brought my hand back to the nape of my neck. I could feel the bandages, but they were wet. When I brought my hand back to my face, I saw dark red blood dripping down my hand and onto my arm.

The raven laughed.

Fear shot down my spine as I crawled away from the bird.

It didn’t like that.

It squawked angrily, and the flames exploded, and spread like wildfire around us. I got up clumsily; ready to run when the raven flew at me.

I backed away quickly terrified, but something stop me.

I felt something behind me, something very cold and solid. I couldn’t breathe as fingers
wrapped around the tops of my arms, burning the skin there. I could feel his cool breath caress my exposed skin.

“I’ve missed you, my love,” he whispered in my ear.

I broke away from him, and ran like hell.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love this chapter! This is one of my favorites. I hope you guys liked it! Oh and I've got a HUGE hint for you!!!

HINT: The unknown person's intials are B. S. L.