Love Comes In Many Dangerous Forms

Carly

She looked absolutely terrified and confused. I noticed that she was wearing something that looked similar to an old potato sack. She was shivering I didn’t know if it was from fear or the cold.

“It’s okay, you’re safe now,” I reassured her in a soothing voice.

“Wh-where’s S-S-Shane?” I could just barely hear her.

“Who’s Shane?” I asked.

“M-my brother,” her voice cracked a couple of times and it sounded hoarse.

“I don’t know where he is,” I responded truthfully.

The war often separated families. That was probably what happened to her, she was separated from her brother.

“What’s your name sweetie?”

“Carly La-Launer,” She responded shyly.

“I’m Cassiel Brooklyn, but you can call me Cassie, and that is Zane,” I pointed to him who was watching us with his dark brown eyes, “and this is Jimmy.”

Jimmy sat next to me, and he was staring at Carly in confusion.

“Y-you’re the princess,” she commented.

“Yes,” I nodded my head.

“I’m going to call Vera for help, can you watch the kids?” I asked Zane.

“Already am.”

I ran over to Aidan, and reached into one of the pockets of his saddle which held my cell phone.

The immortals destroyed all human designed things. Like cars, buildings, phones, electricity. We have been reinventing the things that were lost every day. We just got back electricity about nine months ago, and phones about a month after that.

I dialed Vera’s number. Vera was the only slave allowed to have a phone. She was the only slave my parents trusted, she was more than a slave; she was like family.

“Hello,” she answered.

“Vera, it's Cass, I need you to bring the first-aid kit, one of Jimmy’s shirts, a few towels, some blood packets, and bring Tessa,” I listed.

“Okay, I’m on it. What happened?” she asked in a worried tone.

“I’ll explain when you get here.”

“I’ll be there in four minutes,” and she hung up.

I placed my cell phone back into the pocket, and walked back.

“Vera’s going to be here in a few minutes,” I told Zane.

“That’s good, the faster she gets here the better for Carly.”

I nodded, and sat down next to Carly and Jimmy, and waited.

I finally heard the sound of horseshoes galloping on to road.

I saw Vera and Tessa. Tessa was one of the other horses. She was chocolate brown and had some white splotches scattered across her body.

Vera leaded Tessa over to where Aidan was, and hoped off of her. She tied her to the post, and I noticed Vera had a backpack slung across her shoulders.

“I got the stuff you wanted, what happened?” She threw the backpack over to me.

“There was a little vampire girl in the ocean, Zane and I saved her, but she doesn’t looked to good,” we rushed over to Carly and I unzipped the backpack.

I dumped everything out and started working on her. I got her out of the potato sack and pulled Jimmy’s shirt over her head. I cleaned her cuts with hydrogen peroxide, and wrapped gauzes around the ones that were still bleeding. I took one of the towels and wrapped it around her head so the heat wouldn’t escape as quickly, and took the other towel and placed it around her shoulders like a blanket. I finally tore one of the blood packets open and gave it to her.

She drank it eagerly, and I gave her the other one. She finished, and she looked a lot healthier.

“Do you feel better sweetie?” I asked.

She nodded her head, but she looked exhausted.

“Jimmy, are you ready to go home?” I looked over to where he was working on his sand castle.

He nodded and looked tired as well. I pulled my dress back on and I picked him up, as Vera carried Carly over to the horses.

“I’ll talk to you soon Zane,” I called over to him.

He waved and dived back into the murky depths of the sea.

I climbed onto Aidan and pulled Jimmy up with me, and Vera did the same with Carly.

I lightly kicked Aidan’s side and he started trotting down the long dirt road with Tessa trailing beside us.

I felt my stomached give out loud growl. I didn’t eat breakfast or lunch, because I was afraid I would throw up during the meeting.

“Cassie,” Vera scolded.

“I know, I know, I should have eaten, and when I get home you’re going to shove a banquet down my throat,” they all though I was too skinny and I should eat more often. But when I was in slavery I was only given food every three days, but I would usually gave it to the other slaves, they needed it more than I did. It wasn’t much anyway, just two slices of stale sometimes moldy bread, and dirty water, from the contaminated river nearby. I was used to not eating.

“You really need to eat more, you know that we’re worried about you,” Vera commented.

“I’m fine,” I told her.

“I’m still going to make you eat.”

We made it to the gates and they opened with a metallic groan. We lead Aidan and Tessa over to the stables. I gave them both some baby carrots, and closed their stables.

“Why did you leave anyway?”

“The stress got to me,” I answered.

She nodded, and Audrey tackled me into a hug.

“What happen-” she looked a Carly who was in Vera’s arms with wide eyes.

“You got another one?” she asked.

I nodded and walked through the French doors.

I noticed Zach was pacing in the kitchen with cleaning supplies scattered across the tiled floor.

“You know you’re going to have to clean that up, right?” I asked.

He looked so angry, but he didn’t scare me. I put my index finger to his lips, I knew that he would wake Carly up, and Jimmy was barely awake.

I walked upstairs to my room, and told Vera quietly to lay Carly down like I did with Jimmy.

I kissed Jimmy’s forehead, and quietly shut the door behind me after turning off the lights. I walked downstairs and entered the living room.

“Now you can yell,” I told Zach.

“WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?!” he boomed.

“About what?” I asked calmly.

“RUNNING OFF, AND SAVING ANOTHER VAMPIRE BABY! YOU HAVE TO REALIZE THAT NOT ALL VAMPIRES ARE IN CONTROL OF THEMSELVES! YOU JUST CAN’T GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK HEAD CAN YOU?!” I let him vent out his feelings.

“Well what was I supposed to do leave her out there to die? I didn’t even realize that she was a vampire, or an immortal, but she was drowning, Zach, I can’t turn my back on someone who needs me, it’s my job.”

He nodded his head, but still looked angry.

I walked into the kitchen where Vera was cooking.

“You’re family is in the dining room,” she told me while focusing on the food she was cooking.

I walked into the dining room, and sat next my dad at his right at the oversized dining room table.

“Hello Cassiel,” my father greeted.

“Good evening father, mother,” I chose not to say Hillary’s name.

“What did you do to today?” my mom asked.

“Audrey and I read some of the requirements in the envelope you gave me. And I went to the beach,” I answered her.

“Anything else?” she asked.

“Um…” I hesitated, but I diced to tell the truth anyway, she would know I was lying, “I saved a little vampire girl from drowning.”

My parents looked at me in surprise.

“And where is she now?” Dad asked.

I saw Hillary smirk, knowing I would be in trouble.

“Up in my room sleeping,” I answered.

They nodded their heads and Vera came in with some salad bowls.

“Thank you, Vera,” my father told her.

Vera bowed her head in response, and walked back into the kitchen.

“I know you’re probably mad at me. But I meant what I said at the meeting, we have to give peace, to have peace. And I started with Jimmy, I saved him. But there are more immortals suffering and it’s inhuman what we’re doing to them. I want humans to be known as a peaceful, but respected species.”

I finished and popped some raw spinach leaves in my mouth.

“You’re right,” I heard my mother say.

My head shot up, and I looked at her in shock.

“I’m tired of the mortals living in fear, and being feared by others. Vera’s a fairy, and we trust her with our lives, and she trusts us with hers. I think Cassiel is going to make everything right again.”

I felt my jaw drop, my mother and I never agreed on anything. I felt the corners of my mouth curl up into a smile, and continued eating the salad.

Vera entered again, and took our bowls and replaced them with pasta with Alfredo sauce.

I poked at it, felling full, when I felt something kick me under my chair. I knew it was Vera, she looked at me and mouthed ‘eat.’

I rolled my eyes, but ate a few bites anyway.

“May I be excused?” I asked.

My dad nodded his head and he and mom said, “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” I said back to them, and walked upstairs.

I opened my door and I noticed that Carly was on the bed crying tears of blood.

“What wrong, sweetie?” I asked worried, bending down to her level.

“I want Shane,” she managed to sob out.

“How did you get in the water?” I asked, maybe if I could figure out who owned her I could find her brother.

“A big man with a shiny suit hurted Shane to get me. And the big man took me in boat, and when I couldn’t see house anymore, he dropped me into water, and left me,” she rubbed her teary eyes.

“What did the house look like, and the people there?” I rubbed her back comfortingly as she hiccupped.

“The house in the big forest, and tall tree’s with green needles were everywhere. There were lots of scary men there taking the immortals. And all kinds of immortals were there, and were brought on stage, where the mortals would take them,” she explained.

It was an auction house; I knew what they looked like immediately. When I was a slave I was brought to auction houses so that the king of vampires would buy more slaves.

“How about we get up early tomorrow, so that we can find your brother, okay?”

She smiled while nodding her small head. She lay down again, and I walked over to my couch and laid down waiting for sleep to consume me.
♠ ♠ ♠
My cousin just got married, so this is for you Susan and Billy! Congrats!