One Boy, One Girl

Moving to Detroit

“Honey, get your things packed right now!” my mom yelled as she stomped into my small room. I had most of my things packed, I was doing it slowly, I really didn’t want to move. My dad just had to get a new job, and it involved moving to Detroit Michigan. What is in Detroit for me? Rapists? Yey, move to Detroit and get raped, why don’t they just put me in a room filled with the rapists?

I was going though some pictures of my friends and I. This is one of the worst things about moving, I lose my friends right in the middle of the school year. It was February 1986, and I only had a night in Detroit before it was off to school, I dreaded having to start all over. I’d probably be ahead of everyone else in the class too. See in South Dakota, we are usually ahead of all the other schools in the United States.

I’ve lived in South Dakota all my life, my brother Nick has lived her longer though, fifteen years, me on the other hand has lived here only thirteen. Lucky Mya my little sister who is only one won’t remember any of this. I guess our parents have better ideas for us, but what could be better about Detroit?

“I said pack your things,” my mother reminded. I forgot she was standing there; I was still looking at the pictures.
“I’m going, call down,” I sighed as I put the remaining photos in the box and closed it. I turned around and faced my mother. She looked at me and smiled, I stood with no emotion but a frown on my face.

“You should be excited! You get to meet new friends!” my mom said with a smile on her face, she was all perky with the situation. I rolled my eyes. I was glad I was more like my dad, calm, cool, and collected.
“How can I be excited if I have to leave all my friends behind? I won’t make friends on the first day,” I whined. My mother sighed.
“Just try for me?” she pleaded as we grabbed the last of the suitcases in the room.
“Fine,” I mumbled as we walk out of the apartment. We set the rest of the things in the moving van and got into the car.

I sat down next to Mya, Nick had the other window. My dad got in the car and we drove off. I sighed as I watched my memories of the apartment, neighborhood and friends fade into the back of my head. I wanted to cry but I held back my tears.

“Are we driving the whole way there?” Nick asked. He was annoyed, he hated car rides, he only wanted to drive one, not ride in one.
“Yes, it will be fun!” my mother answered in a perky way. Nick and I looked at each other annoyed Mya had fallen sleep which was nice, it would be quiet then. I looked at my watch, it was noon. Yey, a whole Saturday afternoon of sitting in a car. I stared out the window, and ended up falling asleep.

~~~

“Hey! Lily! Wake up, you hungry?” I woke up to Nick asking and poking me. I opened my eyes slowly; I looked at him then looked out the door.
“Where are we?” I asked as I got out of our car.
“How should I know? I didn’t ask anyone,” Nick said while walking into KFC. What an idiot, I rolled my eyes and ran up to him, following him inside. My parents already ordered a bucket and some sides; I sat down at the table next to Nick.

“You’re awake,” my dad said staring at me.
“No, I’m sleep walking,” I said to him as if he was stupid. “Where are we?” I asked yawning before taking a drink of my Pepsi.
“Minnesota,” my dad said with a smile, I just stared at him with no emotion.
“Are we taking the long way or something?” Nick asked annoyed.
“Kinda,” my dad answered. I cursed to myself, ugh why? I hate this so much.
“Come on be excited!” my mom said smiling. Nick and I stared at her like no thanks.

~~~

We arrived at our home, a trailer park. I think this is kinda a step down from our apartment, I thought dad got a better job. I looked at my watch, it was 8pm, I just wanted to sleep.

“Lily, honey, you’re sharing a room with Nick,” my mother said.
“What!?” Nick yelled. “I thought we were supposed to move into a place with more rooms?” Nick asked. “This place has the same amount of rooms as our apartment,” Nick pointed out. “Isn’t this a step down from where we were before?” Nick asked annoyed.
“I was just thinking the same thing,” I sighed.
“Life sucks,” Nick complained as he walked into what was our room. It was a decent size but I still hated it, I wanted my own room. Mya’s lucky she’s a baby.

“Here’s this,” my dad said walking into my room dragging a mattress behind him. I stared at him, that’s it? A stupid mattress. My mom was dragging another mattress. “Now take these, put them wherever and go to sleep by 10,” my dad added. “You have school in the morning,” he said leaving the room. We still have to go to school even though we just got here. Ugh, life does suck.

We placed the mattresses on each side of the room I was tired. So I went to bed right when my mom brought us our blankets and pillows.

~~~

We were rudely awoken at 6:30am to get ready for school. Did I mention that I dreaded this? I grabbed some clothes that was in a box then headed into the bathroom down the hall. I did my thing then went back into the room throwing my other clothes on the mattress.

~~~

My brother and I had to go to different schools, which sucked. So we had to ride the bus at different times. I was in 7th grade and Nick was in 9th grade. I leaned against a nearby pole as I waited for my bus. Some other kids showed up, they didn’t say anything they just stared at me like they never seen a white person before. I rolled my eyes, pathetic people; I wish I could be back in South Dakota.

I was the first on the bus. “Oh look a new addition to the white people,” a black boy in the back said. I gave him a dirty look, what’s that supposed to mean? All the seats were taken so I had to sit with some one which I hated; I liked a seat to myself.
“Seat’s taken,” a fat black boy said blocking the spot on the seat. I wasn’t planning on sitting with your fat ass in the first place buddy.

“You can sit here,” a small white boy in the front seat behind the driver said.
“Thanks,” I said sitting next to him. Yey, a nice person.
“Yep,” he said with a smile. “Oh, and don’t worry, being new isn’t bad, if you’re used to it that is,” he said. I sighed.
“No. This is my first time switching schools,” I mumbled. I stared at the boy for a bit, he had brownish read hair, blue eyes, he was one of the only white boys, and he was kinda cute.

“Oh. I’ve been to so many schools, I’ve lost count,” he mumbled.
“That sucks,” I said softly.
“It’s whatever. That’s what happens when your mom can’t keep a job, and then you get evicted from a place we just moved into,” he said as if it was nothing. Wow, this poor kid.
“I’m sorry, sounds rough,” I mumbled. “What about your…never mind,” I said changing my mind. I didn’t want to get into his personal life; I don’t even know his name.

“My father?” he asked. “Is that what you were going to ask?” he questioned. I nodded slowly; I hope he’s not mad at me now. “He left when I was a baby,” he mumbled. “But I don’t plan on being anything like him,” he added. “But enough of all this, what’s your name?” he asked.
“Lily,” I said with a smile. He smiled.
“I’m Marshall,” he smiled. We shook hands greeting each other. Then it was silent.

“So,” Marshall said stretching out the word. “Wanna be friends?” he asked.
“Sure,” I mumbled, as the bus driver stopped to pick up some more kids. I watched the kids get on the bus. Marshall kept his head down as a fat black kid got on the bus; he was probably in 8th grade. He looked like he’d be mean.

“Oh is this your bodyguard?” the boy asked placing his hand on my shoulder.
“Don’t touch me!” I yelled shoving his hand away.
“Don’t” Marshall whispered.
“Don’t fuck with me,” the boy said. “Who do you think you are?” he questioned. I glared at him; I wasn’t going to let anybody mess with me.
“Look tubby, leave us alone,” I said though my teeth.

“You wanna get yo ass beat too?” he questioned.
“You’d hit a girl?” I asked looking up at him. He smirked.
“Yeah, I would,” he smiled looking at me up and down. Oh my God what a perv, he seriously needs to get a life and get out of my face.
“There is something wrong with you,” I said irritated. He laughed as the driver gave him a dirty look.

“Take your seat Bailey,” he said irritated. He walked away to the back.
“Who was that?” I asked turning to Marshall.
“No one,” Marshall muttered. “Just some stupid bully,” he whispered. I sighed.
“I’m sorry,” I said. He didn’t say anything back, he just picked at the back of the ripping seat.

The bus pulled up at the school, it was kinda ugly, it looked cheap too. Marshall and I walked into the school together. The inside was just as ugly and cheap looking as the outside. “Where’s your locker?” Marshall asked turning to me after a bit of walking to the lockers.
“I don’t know. Help?” I said like a little kid. Marshall laughed.
“Gimme your paper,” he said. I handed him my schedule. “Oh, that’s next to mine,” Marshall said with a smile. I smiled as we walked to our lockers. I was happy to have made a friend on the first day. Maybe being here wouldn’t be so bad.

“So uh, I’m in 7th grade. You?” I asked looking over at Marshall after I put my things I didn’t need in my locker.
“Same,” he mumbled digging though is bag, he seemed very concentrated. “Ugh, where did I put that thing?” he asked himself all frustrated.
“What thing?” I asked, just cause I was curious.
“A paper that was due,” he mumbled. “Ah forget it!” he yelled throwing his bag into his locker. “My mom probably threw it away cause she’s stupid,” he said shutting his locker. He turned to me and smiled. I thought it was a bit odd but I smiled back.

“So where’s your first class?” Marshall asked grabbing my schedule. “Oh room 225, that’s Math with Mr. Myers,” Marshall said. “I have that class too,” he said with a smile.
“Do we have any other classes together?” I asked peaking over his shoulder.
“Looks like Language Arts, Reading and lunch,” he listed with a smile, he handed me the paper back, and we headed to class.

“Good, I don’t have to sit alone at lunch,” I said. Marshall laughed slightly.
“Yeah me too, I usually sit with the loser white boys wh…” Marshall started but stopped when some kid started yelling at us. We turned around, and there was that stupid kid again.
“Hey! I wasn’t done with you two,” he said walking up to us.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another rewrite. I changed the point of view. :) Comment!!!