Status: Still in the Works

The Act of Rebellion

First Days

Freshman year has started in Eisenhower Preparatory Academy for the class of 2011. Young minds are ready to tackle on high school and the adventures it comes with. On these very grounds, teenagers will fall in love, get their hearts broken, receive “rewards”, get into fights and all the other joys of High School drama. Today is the first day of classes and all the little freshman are hurrying to their classrooms; all but two.

"I can't believe my alarm didn't go off...Ughh now I’m gunna be late..." Leo said hurrying up the stairs. He reached the third floor and after walking, realized he was going the wrong way. - "Ughhh...fucking damn it!" He groaned turning around and heading in the opposite direction.

"Damn it, damn it, damn it...I'm gunna be friggn late on my first day of school.." Autumn repeated as she rushed up the stairs to get to the 3rd floor. She skipped steps and was starting to feel hot under her loose brown hair. Once she reached her floor, she took a sharp turn bumping into someone accidentally. She fell back on the ground.

"Oh my God, I am sooo sorry." Autumn apologized taking the hand in front of her.

"It's ok.." Leo said slightly annoyed. Autumn went to apologize one more time but then couldn't get a word out. Both freshman stood in the hall staring into each other's eyes. Leo was both memorized and drawn to her. She seemed to have something to her, a power over him that neither of them knew. Autumn on the other hand was drawn by his good looks and felt curious. There was a whole different thing to him but she didn't know what it was. The moment to both seemed like it was a fairy-tale written in some Disney book. After what seemed too quickly, the bell rang. Autumn was the first to snap out of the trance.

"Crap we're late." - She backed away from her newly formed crush. He still never took his curious eyes away from her. - "Um...hello?"

"Oh yea..sorry..." Leo said shaking his head trying to rid his mind of her deep green eyes. She let out a nervous laugh.

"So I guess I'll see you around?" Autumn asked walking passed him. Leo nodded but then turned to her instantly.

"Wait...what's your name?" He asked desperate to know. She smiled and said;

"Autumn Ramirez."

"Leonardo De Los Santos." he said returning her smile. Both smiled one last time but careful to not look each other in the eye for the fear of not being able to stop. They finally turned and walked their separate ways, ending the first memorable encounter between the two.

----------------------------------------------------------------

It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.
~W.C. Fields

----------------------------------------------------------------

I was already up and awake for my first day in E.P.A. I was so excited and it was obvious in my up-already-at-5 o’clock-in-the-morning behavior. Classes didn’t start until 8:00 so I was fine. Autumn was pretty much still asleep. I took a good look at myself in the full length mirror across from Autumn’s bed. I loved the way I looked in this uniform. I had a short sleeve button up shirt, my grey skirt that I kept a good two inches or so above the knee, my midnight blue tie, white knee-highs and black flats. My hair was its usual dark and curly self but I still felt like I was missing something. That’s when I remembered my blue hair clip. I tip-toed to my drawer, now filled with my belongings, and took out my favorite blue clip. There was nothing particularly special about it but I just loved the contrast of color in my hair. My eyeliner was in check as well as my clear lip gloss. I smiled, officially pleased by my refection.

I sat down at the desk in my room and looked down at my schedule. Autumn, Aura and I had penciled in the classes we had together. My very first class was Latin and I had that with Aura, then there was Gym with Autumn, A.P English/ Creative Writing I had alone, U.S History Honors I also had alone, Lunch, Algebra Trigonometry Honors I had with both Autumn and Aura, then last was Chemistry that I was alone. My elective Saturday was Dance. I used to dance a little back home along with some gymnastics so that elective seemed to fit me best. I looked over at the time and saw it was 5:55, Autumn said she woke up at 6:00 so I was getting anxious for her to take me to get breakfast. I decided to just sit and write an email to my family back home. As I sat waiting for my Mac to turn on I saw the clock strike 6:00. Autumn’s alarm went off.

You know you wanna
Just let go
It's time to roll down the windows
Sing it oh oh
Got all we need so here we go

Turn it up
It's five minutes to midnight
You're coming home with me tonight
I can't get enough
Shakin' me up
Turn it up

Alright, at five minutes to midnight
You see our name in city lights
We'll make the clock stop
Make your heart drop and come alive

Autumn just stood asleep, not even phased by the song. I looked back to my Mac and logged in to my Gmail and decided to wake Autumn up.

“Audie…Audie…Audie wake up.”- I whispered while moving her arm. She didn’t even twitch. The song started to replay. I looked at the time, it was 6:05 now. I shook her again trying wake her up. – “Audie c’mon wake up.”
She still wouldn’t budge. The song was about to replay again. I grunted and went to turn it off. Just when I was about to press the button on Autumn’s i-Home doc, a hand stopped mine.

“This is my favorite part.” Autumn said now sitting up. I rolled my eyes with a smile. I sat back down and started to write my email. Autumn stood up and pressed a button on her i-Home doc and allowed other songs on her i-Touch to play. She put her glasses on and stepped into the bathroom that was connected to our room. I continued my email.

Hey guys! I’m starting my first day of school and honestly I’m really excited. I woke up at like 5 in the morning can you believe it? Just when you think I can’t wake up any earlier. Lolsz XDD My roommate is really nice she helped get everything set and even said she’d help me pick out a set for my bed. I still have money left from my summer job so I should have enough. If anything, then I’ll let you guys know ok? Well I think my roommate is almost done getting ready so we gotta get going to have some breakfast. Tell grandma that I miss her and mom too. How are things going over there? I want to know everything. Ttyl!
Clovar <3

I hit the send button and looked up to see Autumn putting on her typical converse. She applied her eyeliner and then put her glasses back on.

“Okay ready to go?” I asked her a little too anxious. She grabbed her bag and i-Touch.

“Easy Clove it’s only 6:45. We have plenty of time to get breakfast, trust me.” Autumn answered with a laugh. She took her keys as did I and we walked out of our room and down the stairs. There in the lounge was Aura on her phone texting.

“Ready Aura?” Autumn asked approaching her. Aura looked up and nodded finishing up her text before she got up and grabbed her bag.

“Who are you texting at 6 in the morning?” I asked as we walked out to the cool October air. Aura had a small blush that she was trying to cover.

“I was trying wake up Diego…he has trouble getting up sometimes.”

“She’s his morning wake-up call ...and she likes him.” Autumn said smiling. Aura snapped her head over to Autumn.

“Audie!” She slapped her arm. Autumn just laughed and kept walking. I looked to Aura with a smirk.

“Diego huh?”

“Oh I wouldn’t be talking if I were you Clovar…”-I looked at Autumn confused. She looked at me with a smirk. –“Roy could pop up at any minute.”

My eyes widened and a blush crept up on my face. Aura now looked over to me with a smirk.

“Roy huh?” Aura said copying my tone from before. I shook my head.

“I do not like him!” I stated truthfully. I’ll admit the guy was hot and stuff but I didn’t know him well enough to actually like him.

“Yea ok…whatever let’s you sleep at night.” Autumn said smugly. I glared at her and tried to turn the conversation so she was in the spotlight.

“Humph…like you don’t like someone.” I said getting ready to tease her like there was no tomorrow.

“I don’t” She replied nonchalantly. I just looked at her in surprise.

“Seriously?”

“Seriously.”

“You don’t like anyone?”

“I don’t like anyone.”

“At all?”

“At all.”

I was really surprised. Autumn was just Autumn she seemed like she would’ve liked someone. I could see her and Leo as a pretty good couple, but she hated his guts so I wouldn’t go there with her. I shook it off and focused on getting breakfast. There was a good selection but I was kinda picky so I went with just a simple pancakes and bacon. I drenched syrup on it and grabbed some apple juice.

“Are you trying to get heart disease?” Aura said to Autumn who had a powdered doughnut, a crescent, 5 strips of bacon, 3 sausages and hash browns with melted cheese on it.

“What?...Sue me for trying to have a hardy breakfast.” Autumn laughed a little at her joke and we walked to a table. Diego and DJ were just walking to the table too.

“Hey guys.” Aura said smiling. Diego smiled still pretty tired and gave all of us a hug. This hug was a little less awkward but it still felt weird. I sat down next to Autumn and rubbed my hands together getting ready to dig in. I began to cut my pancakes to eat.

“Hey Audie, you don’t mind of some friends sit with us right?” DJ asked a little nervous. Autumn didn’t seem to notice because she shrugged and stacked up her own sandwich creation. DJ let out a sigh of relief and turned to some people signaling them to come over. I didn’t pay attention to who it was, I was way to occupied by my pancake heaven.

“Hey everyone.” I froze recognizing that voice. I looked up with my mouth open and a fork-full of pancake just centimeters away from being eaten. Roy smiled and sat down with Leo right behind him. He greeted everyone personally and I still stood there frozen.

“Hey Clov-ar?” Roy said bewildered at my frozen state. I blinked and started blushing like mad. Everyone else started to stare at me. I shook my head and continued eating.

“Hi Roy..” I said with my mouth full. IDIOT! I mentally slapped myself. Wait it’s ok Clovar, you don’t like him anyway. It’s allll good. I started to calm down. I looked over to Autumn who stood tense from Leo sitting across from her. I still wondered what happened between them. Leo acted normal and every so often would stare at Autumn. I just continued to eat my pancakes.

“Whoa…slow down there.” Roy said next to me. I looked down at my plate and saw it was almost gone. I’d only been sitting here for five minutes, had I been eating that fast? I slowed my pace.

“Sorry.” I said wiping my mouth with a napkin. He smiled at me.

“It’s ok…so you ready for your fist day?” He asked making small talk. I nodded.

“Excited actually… I’m a bit of a dork.” I smiled sheepishly. He laughed.

“Everyone at E.P.A is a dork, how do you think we all got in?”
I laughed at his joke and took a sip of my juice. We started talking about schedules and stuff until yelling started to fill the table.

“Ugh you’re so annoying!” Autumn yelled at Leo. She was glaring daggers at him. He seemed hurt by it but tried not to show it.

“I’m only annoying because you hate me.” He said softly. Autumn scoffed.

“Hate doesn’t even begin to describe it.”
I started to feel bad for Leo. He had a hint of longing in his eyes. Everything she said hurt him 10 times more than she intended, and there was a lot of intentional hurt coming off of her. Aura put her hand on Autumn’s shoulder.

“Audie stop, that’s enough…if you’re upset just go cool down.”
Autumn stared at her friend in shock.

“Why do I have to be the one to go?! He should go; I’m just trying to have a good breakfast with my friends.”

“They’re my friends too.” Leo said with annoyance starting to build up in his voice. Autumn snapped her head at him breathing angrily.

“Me encerró Si yo fuera tú.” (I’d shut up if I were you.)

“¿Y si yo no quiero?” (And what if I don’t want to?)

“Entonces yo te ropo la boca.” (Then I’ll break your mouth.)
Leo scoffed. He was getting really angry now.

“Why can’t you just let it go?!” He yelled

“Gee I wonder why!” Autumn said sarcastically now standing up and leaning on the table infuriated. Leo did the same.

“It wasn’t my fault! So I don’t know why I’m getting blamed for it! I hate her just as much as you do!”
Her? What are they talking about?

“Humph yea that’s what you say now… kinda like the promises you made, you know the ones you gladly broke!”
Leo opened his mouth to say something but then shut it. He just looked at Autumn and I couldn’t help but feel so bad, both him and Autumn looked on the verge of tears.

“Lo siento mucho Autumn.” (I’m so sorry Autumn)
Autumn looked away from him and just grabbed her bag.

“Muy tarde.” (Too late) Autumn said low as she walked away. I looked to everyone else not knowing how to react to what just happened. I looked up to Leo and saw him with an unreadable expression.

“Leo..?” Roy said putting a hand on his friend’s shoulder. Leo shook his head and walked away in the opposite direction. Roy sighed and got up. –“ I’m sorry Clovar I nee-”

“Go…it’s ok.” I said knowing that Leo needed Roy over me now. He nodded and ran to catch up with Leo. I looked over to the other side of the dining hall to check if Autumn was still in sight, but she was nowhere to be seen. Aura let out a frustrated sigh and excused herself to go see if Autumn was ok. I looked over to the only two people left. Diego looked down and let out a sigh. He put a hand through his hair and looked in the direction of where Roy and Leo went. He didn’t say anything; he just stared at the table. I looked over to DJ he put a hand on Diego’s shoulder to comfort him.

“It’s alright man.” DJ said. I think they forgot that I was still there. Diego shook his head. He grabbed his book bag.

“I’ll catch you later man, I gotta cram for a test in five minutes.” Diego said leaving the table. DJ sighed and looked up to me.

“Sorry you had to see that. Things like that happen a lot but never as bad as today.”

“Don’t worry about it…I just hope they’re ok.”
“They will be…just give them some time.”
I nodded and looked at the clock. It was 7:57 now. I looked over to where Aura and Autumn had left wondering if they were going to come back to bring me to class. DJ probably saw me getting nervous and said;

“What class you have next?”

“Latin with Mr. Le Grand” I replied looking down at my schedule. DJ got his stuff together.

“That’s my class, c’mon I’ll take you.”
I smiled and got my stuff. We threw out the garbage from the table and headed to the Academic building.

“Mind if I ask you something?” -DJ asked out of the blue. I nodded for him to continue.-“What are you? Like what ethnicity?”

“Oh…” –I said a bit taken back by the question.-“I’m Irish/Black.”

“Wow, that’s a combo you don’t see every day.”- DJ laughed. I looked at him slightly offended. So what if it’s uncommon? Any racial mix is possible right? He saw my dislike in his comment.- “Sorry Clovar, I didn’t mean to offend you. So who’s what in your family?”

“It’s alright… and my mom is Irish and my dad is Black.” I answered. DJ nodded taking in my information. We were walking up the stairs of the Academic building. It seemed like a pretty easy place to maneuver around. Basically it was broken down to five floors and 10 rooms on each. Even numbers were on the right and odds on the left. My Latin class was in room 304. DJ lead me to the room right as the bell rang and smiled.

“Welcome to Latin 3 ma’am.” DJ said with a chuckle. I learned that he was a huge clown. I always liked the class clown but that was only if I was in the mood, most of the time I would be my “dork-mode”. As we walked in the teacher was taking attendance. Turns out that when they say 8:00 that means class starts at 8:00 – I know pretty stupid. I went to the teacher’s desk, Mr. Le Grand looked at me indifferent and sighed.

“I’m going to take that you’re Clovar Johnson, correct?” Mr. Le Grand said. I nodded.- “Ok well you can take a seat anywhere really it doesn’t matter to me, and today we’re doing a new lesson so if you’re completely lost then it’s understandable, you can ask Leo over there for help, he’s one of the top students here.”
Leo? He’s here? I looked over to where Mr. Le Grand was pointing and saw Leo sitting near a window staring out of it. There were chicks attempting to get his attention but to no avail. I looked back to the teacher and thanked him. Then I looked around the room for a place to sit.

“Clovar.”- I looked to see who called my name. Aura was sitting a few seats away from DJ and Leo. She was waving her arms to get my attention. –“ Sit here.” She pointed to the seat next to her. I walked over and sat next to her. I look around to see basically what to do. This is where the new-girl feeling comes in. I felt pretty lost. I kept my bag on my lap not knowing what to take out.

“Don’t worry we don’t really need to use the Mac’s here…it’s just the workbook and Mr. Le Grand doesn’t really care anyway.” DJ whispered to me as Mr. Le Grand stood up to start the lesson. I nodded and felt relief wash over me. As Mr. Le Grand began I paid close attention in my “dork-mode”.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
The bell had just rang and I was with D.J and Leo on our way to the Extras Building for gym.
“What did you think about Latin?” Leo asked me. I shrugged. I had taken Latin before so the lesson wasn’t bad. They were only a lesson ahead of where I was.
“Not bad. If I review tonight I could easily be ready for the quiz tomorrow.”
Both boys seemed impressed.
“Ok well you can’t come with us into the boy’s locker room.” Leo said laughing. He still looked a bit depressed about this morning. I laughed too still feeling really bad for him.
“Yea that wouldn’t be good. Autumn had told me about where the girl’s locker room was. I think she has this class too right?” I asked. D.J and Leo nodded. D.J looked behind me and said;
“She’s over there.”
I turned around and saw her now curly hair walking into the locker room across the hall. I nodded and waved to the two boys as I went to follow Autumn. As I entered the locker room I felt like I was in the YMCA or something. I looked around to find Autumn. Once I found her I tapped her shoulder and smiled.
“Hey Audie.” I said cheerily. Autumn turned around and smiled. She still didn’t seem like herself though.

“Hi Clove… How was Latin?” She asked while taking out her gym uniform from her bag. I did the same.

“It was good…” I replied. Autumn nodded as she pulled up her shorts under her uniform skirt. As she took off her uniform shirt revealing her black undershirt she said;

“Great…sorry about this morning by the way, I know me and Aura were supposed to take you to your class.”

“Don’t worry about it. D.J took me since we’re in the same class.”
Autumn nodded again, fixing her shirt and pulling up her hair in a messy bun. I finished getting dressed and tightened my laces. I picked up my hair too and we walked out of the locker room and into the gym. I looked around at the huge gym. It was almost the same size as the cafeteria but had much more space of course. I stopped when I saw Roy on the other side of the gym talking to Leo and D.J. A blush crept up my cheeks when I saw him in his gym uniform. His grey shirt was loose but fitting enough to show off his broad shoulders and his toned arms looked even better with a white sweat band around his wrist. The midnight blue basketball shorts were also loose but weren’t overly baggy like some boys had it. His hair was gelled a bit in the front so his hair wasn’t in his eyes today. I couldn’t tear my eyes away from him as he spoke to his friends coolly; not even when he caught me staring. I blushed harder and looked in the direction of the teacher. I think his name was Coach Mac.

Just when I thought it was safe, I glanced through the corner of my eye over by Roy. He was still looking in my direction along with Leo and D.J, but they were looking with a scowl on their face. I was confused until I saw Autumn with the same expression but looking behind me. I turned around and saw two girls walking into the gym. One was very lean and had rich chestnut color hair that was pin straight yet still swayed with body as she walked. Her hair was loose and up to her mid-back with bangs that stopped at her eyelids. She had dark grey eyes and simple natural colored makeup on her light tan skin. She looked to be the leader of the other girl she was with. The other chick had more of a model look to her. She had semi-curly auburn hair color with caramel highlights. Her eyes were a normal chocolate brown and were covered by vigorous angled glasses. She had her hair down with a black beanie. Both seemed to be in the popular crowd, because everyone, minus Autumn, Leo, Roy and D.J, wanted to talk to them. I looked over to Autumn who seemed like she was trying to burn them alive with her stare.

“Um Audie…are you ok?” I asked putting my hand on her shoulder. She was stiff with hatred clear in her eyes. She relaxed herself and stuck with a serious expression still looking in their direction.

“The girl with the bangs is Storm Baker and the other one with the hat is her lackey Alexandria Parnell. Them along with their other ditz of a friend Kate-Lyn De Graff, are the sluts of the school. Guys want them; girls want to be them for God knows what reason. But to me they’re just sluts that like getting a kick out of other people’s misery, especially if that someone has what they want.”- Autumn turned to me with warning. – “Whatever you do never believe a thing they say. They’re a bunch of liars.”
I nodded taking in her information and then looking back over to them. They had a type of vibe that said “trouble”, especially Storm’s eyes. Her deep grey eyes had a sense of cold-heartedness in them. I wasn’t intending on going against Autumn’s words, but later on that day things didn’t go as planned.

See later when gym had finished, Autumn was called to the front because of her improper uniform. I offered to wait for her but she told me to go on and change anyway since she didn’t have the same class as me. I did as she said and changed into my uniform. As I was in the middle of exchanging my sneakers with my shoes, Storm approached me.

“Hi you’re the new girl right?”- She said kindly. She had a slight accent but for the most part sounded American. I nodded in response remembering what Autumn had told me. – “Cool, I’m Storm by the way. It’s nice to finally meet you. I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“You have?” I asked raising an eyebrow. Storm smiled and nodded.

“Yup, your name is Clovar right?”

“Yeah…”

“That’s a nice name. It’s very unique.” Storm said with a friendly expression. Her peppy attitude never faltered. Despite the bad feeling I got due to Autumn’s warning, nothing seemed fake about her.

“Thanks.” I said not really knowing how to handle the situation. Alexandria appeared next to Storm and said something to her in her ear. Storm nodded understandingly and then turned back to me.

“Sorry if I’m taking up your time, I know you have to be getting to your next class but I just wanted to finally meet you and inform you that I’m the Student Council president for juniors so if you have any questions, concerns or even need help with finding classes, I’m here.”
I smiled with her grabbing my book bag and holding my workbook for my next class.

“Oh ok well thanks Storm, but you don’t have to worry about me too much, Autumn is helping me with my classes and stuff. Thanks anyway.” I started to head for the door of the locker room. Strom and Alexandria were on both sides of me.

“Oh well if Autumn’s helping you then that’s great, but we insist on at least taking you to your next class.” Storm said matching her pace to mine. Alexandria had a very serious expression on her face and stood quiet. I looked around to the boys locker room to see if any of the guys were out yet – they weren’t anywhere to be found. Autumn was probably still being scolded or just starting to get changed for her next class.
“Guess I don’t really have a choice.” I said meekly. Storm smiled again and asked what my next class was. I told her I needed to get to A.P English/Creative Writing.

“Oh that’s my next class.” Alexandria spoke for the first time. She told me it was in room 209. As we walked Storm asked me how my classes were going and where my dorm was. When she found out that Autumn was my roommate, her smile seemed to have turned into a half grin. Storm then mentioned about having her next class on the third floor so we ended up splitting up.

When we entered the classroom, I walked up to the teacher and took care of my new-girl routine. Mrs. Foray seated me next to Alexandria. We were in deep conversation when D.J walked in the room just as the bell rang and went to take his seat. He passed by me giving me a questioning look. I wasn’t too sure what the look was for, but I had a feeling it was going to happen more often.