Status: "yeah baby I'm active" ♥

Afterlife.

Manipulation.

“If you would just follow me over here Phillipa and we’ll prepare you for the X-ray.” The nurse smiled at me as she stood near a gurney in the middle of the room. I hopped out of the wheelchair they’d wrestled me into and lay down on the bed.

When the entire procedure was over – a whole lot of nothing if you ask me – I slid back down onto the tiled floor and limped painfully out into the corridor where a porter was waiting with the dreaded chair. I grimaced as I sat down and was wheeled back to where Daniel was waiting, secretly grateful for the wheelchair as the pain in my ankle spiked. I grimaced again and bit into my lip.

“Don’t look so depressed Phil. Make it last you; you won’t catch me waiting on you hand and foot.” I shrugged and slid onto the bed the hospital had allocated me. The overly sanitary odour of the building’s very atmosphere snicked at the back of my throat and I coughed.

“Daniel?” I smirked as he looked affronted.

“When did I become Daniel again? I was Dan this morning. But what?”

“Do you think that they could run a check? For…you know?” Dan’s confused glance was cleared up at once.

He coughed himself.

“Yeah. Yeah they can. You just have to request one and they’ll have it done for you within about three seconds.”

“It doesn’t hurt?” I smiled at the ridiculousness of my question as Dan laughed. He shook his head, tilting it towards the end.

“Are you sure?” He was wary of me and I sighed.

“Yes. It’s so exciting-“ I was cut off by the doctor returning with my X-Ray.

“Not broken.” He smiled at my happiness as a grin spread across my face, “But you will need to have a crutch for a while and I’ll bandage it up for you.”

“That was bloody well fast mate.” I’d forgotten that Dan knew everyone here. And I mean everyone.

“It’s a slow day. Plus, you’re friends so we-“ He whistled, “If you know what I mean.” A wink was tipped in my direction and I blushed. Dr Faldren swiftly started to manipulate my ankle into the prime position for it to be splinted and strapped.

The room swam.

“Oh. God. I need to lie down. Now.” I was helped backwards onto the pillows and closed my eyes. A cold sweat suddenly came over me and my eyelids fluttered open. Dr F pushed the hair out of my face and asked if he could continue. I shook my head.

“Two ticks.” Dan’s hand crept into my own as I took deep breaths to calm myself before I gave the go-ahead to the doctor. His hands were much gentler this time and he signalled to me before he twisted it into its final resting place. I felt the ligaments grate against bone and bit down hard into my lip. As my ankle was lifted the pain grew and I screamed out, crushing Dan’s hand under my vicelike grip.

“Shhhh…It’s going to be fine. Just let Jay do what he needs to and he’ll give you some painkillers.”

“Why didn’t he fucking bother to give them to me before?!” Reaching out I grabbed onto someone’s shirt but I was so blinded by the pain that I couldn’t tell who. It was detached and I sobbed loudly.

“Your ankle needed to be manipulated as soon as possible after the bleeding stopped around the deltoid.” My foot was placed gently back down onto the pillow and I shuddered violently again.

“So?!”

“Well the meds you needed take a while to take effect and we didn’t have that time. It’s almost over now. He’s just putting the last reel of bandage around it then they’ll fetch your crutches and we’ll leave. I promise. Just wait. He’ll even give you some vallium as well to send you on your way.” I nodded and gasped as the final strip was tied around my ankle.

“No wait!” I shrieked as the doctor – what was it that Dan called him? Jay? – made to leave. I nodded to Dan through my sweat soaked haze.

“You don’t want to do this now Phil. You’re in pain.” He shook his head and motioned to his friend to leave. I countered by grabbing the collar of his shirt and pulling him towards me.

“Don’t you dare ruin this for me O’Reilly or I swear to God I will beat you around the face with my crutches.” He spread his hands in surrender.

“Fine. She wants to have a quick test done,” He sighed, “My fault I’m afraid.”

“What for?” Jay sounded worried and I gulped.

“Well, you see…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count; 789

Well! Whoeever guessed I would take Jay's name from Casualty. Leave me and my favourite fictiona nurse alone! I decided to promote him though :L he just seemed to be someone that Daniel would know...

Anyway, getting into the nitty gritty now! Hope you enjoy. Feedback please

C.!♥