Status: "yeah baby I'm active" ♥

Afterlife.

Burst.

It was three weeks later that I suggested it. Fiddling with the edge of the washing basket I blurted it out-

“I think we need a holiday.” I winced at the daggers Daniel threw at me.

“What? I can’t leave now! I’m so close to finishing my thesis.” I shrugged.

“It was just an idea. Don’t shoot me for hoping-“ I was cut off viciously.

“Hoping for what? That I’d fail? That I won’t do anything with what I’ve been working for nearly two years on?” I threw a box of anti-depressants at his face and stormed out of the room.

“How can you say that Daniel? How dare you say that? After all I’ve done for you?” I screamed as I thundered up the stairs, pain flaring in my abused ankle even after such a time. I heard him scoff before I even saw him appear at the bottom of the staircase.

“Done? You’ve done nothing that I couldn’t do myself. You cleaned up after me. That’s about it.”

“I seem to have overstayed my welcome if you no longer need my help.” My suitcase was found and I threw items into in a ragtag fashion.

“Oh-“

“NO. You. Shut up Daniel, just shut it for a moment. I can’t think. Why are you saying this?” I sobbed as he made his slow way up the stairs, the hesitation in his mind present in his footsteps.

“You- you –.”

“Don’t even start. You’ve made yourself clear.” I drew a shuddering breath and looked up. He finally managed to sit down on the bed and I scoffed.

“Just because you don’t need me doesn’t mean I don’t need you.” I mumbled and rubbing a fingertip against the small scar on my hairline – a nervous habit. I felt utterly exposed as I stood there awkwardly, bra in hand, ready to pack up and leave.

“I need you. Why wouldn’t I need you? Phillipa I honestly don’t know what I would do without you. Let’s have the holiday if you need to get away.”

“Not just me.” I knew as much as he did that he was slowly killing himself with work. We needed to get away from the house and relax someplace sunny before the eventual meltdown occurred. I had a good idea where. “Let’s go and visit my Grandmother.”

“Okay. Yeah that could work. I promise I won’t work at all while we’re there?” I lunged at him and wrapped my arms around his waist. He removed my arms and held my hands laughing at their contents. Blushing, I snapped the strap against his arm.

“Ouch! What was that for?!”

“Laughing at my choice of underwear. Leave it be, it’s only a bra Daniel.” I continued packing away the clothes in a more orderly fashion. Sliding my eyes sideways I glanced towards my companion.

“What would you say if we were going tomorrow?”

“What?” I coughed and zipped up my suitcase.

“I booked us flights and Nana is okay with it – actually she invited Jeanette and everyone, bad times – but it’s all good. Don’t freak out just say yes and go and pack.”

“I don’t have a choice do I?” He smiled genuinely and I was taken aback by how young it made him look under his unruly stubble.

“Not unless you want Mama Rosa on your back for preventing her from seeing her baby girl.” I smirked and scrubbed again at my eyes with the back of my hand. He sighed.

“I’m sorry, after all you’re doing for me and they don’t know about it at all. You’re taking a massive risk for me and I just shoved it all back at you, Phil I’m-“

“Don’t talk so much. Just hug.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a short one to ease the transition between countries.

Word count; 622

C.! ♥