‹ Prequel: Spirit
Sequel: Apparition
Status: Start Date: June 6. 2009. Finish Date: August 19, 2009

Phantom

Family

Chapter 5: Family
“I hope you two unintentionally fell asleep in the same bed,” my mom said, waking me up from my deep sleep as she dug in my closet.
“Oh,” I murmured. “I didn’t realize he was sleeping right there.”
Nathan was sleeping beside me on top of my blanket, his arms behind his head. My family was used to Nathan sleeping over at my home. It took a while for my father to trust Nathan but he eventually did.
“What’re you looking for?”
“My purse. Have you seen it?”
“I think Nicolette has it,” I sighed.
“Why would she need my purse?” She sighed, walking out of my room.
“Good morning,” Nathan whispered with a smile.
“Good morning,” I responded, still a bit sleepy from staying up for so long at Nathan’s house last night.
“Are you feeling okay?”
“I’m still in a bit of shock. And I’m scared,” I admitted. “What are we going to tell my parents?” I asked thinking about what our excuse is going to be for Nathan staying at my house for a long time.
“You have nothing to worry about, Natalia. Keith and Sarah has it under control. And I already spoke to your parents. I told them Keith and Sarah are doing some out-of-the-country Second-Hand Ghost business; which they are doing.”
“Hopefully,” I muttered. “Good excuse,” I mused. “Am I going to train today?” I asked, changing the subject.
“I thought about it and I figured that it’d be a bad idea for me to train you.”
“But I need to train, Nathan. Just in case.”
“Just in case?” He said dubiously. “Natalia, you need to understand that we’re safe. This will all be over with in a couple of weeks and we’ll all go back to living our lives normally. Or like we used to at least.”
I looked at him incredulously.
“Trust me,” he pressed.
“I do, but sometimes I think you’re just saying things to make me feel better.”
“Don’t be silly,” Nathan chuckled. “Are you hungry?”
My stomach answered for me and I laughed. I hadn’t eaten since breakfast yesterday morning and I was starving.
Nathan and I went downstairs where my brother and sister were watching TV. Although it was Sunday, my parent’s still went to work. They were often at work because we needed the money but once I turn eighteen and my share of the Ashburton fortune is released, they wouldn’t always have to be at work.
“Hey, kids!” Nathan cheered.
“Nathan!” Nicolette and Jon screamed and ran to him and hugged him. Everyone liked Nathan he had that special charm to him but the only person who was immune to it was obviously Lawren.
“Do you guys want to make something to eat?” Nathan asked cheerfully. It was unfathomable on how Nathan was able to always be so cheery while he knew someone is hunting us down to kill us. I just smiled and shook my head. “Let it be a surprise for, Natalia. So Natalia, you need to stay here and watch TV,” Nathan directed.
I laughed. “Yes sir.” I sat down in front of the TV that was tuned to the Disney Channel.
Nathan, Jon, and Nicolette walked into the kitchen to get started on my surprise breakfast.
The show my brother and sister were watching was actually pretty entertaining. I haven’t watched TV in a while. It wasn’t something I had the strength to do. Just sitting on the couch staring at the TV. And haven’t watch the Disney Channel since I was ten. It made me feel like a kid again. The show I was watching was about a family of wizards who put up the façade that they were human and lived normal lives but really they kept the fact that they were wizards a secret. It kind of reminded me of ghosts-how we couldn’t get exposed.
I laughed a lot as I watched the show. The teen girl of the family reminded me of Nicolette and Sarah. With their sarcasm and the way they were extremely sassy and stubborn.
When the show was over, I turned down the TV a bit to hear what they were talking about to see what they were making.
Nathan exploded with laughter.
“Why is it funny? I think it’d be amazing if you were part of our family!” Nicolette said.
“And how would that happen?”
“Once again, by marrying my sister! Your head is like a black hole. Things come in but don’t even come out. You’re lucky you’re wildly gorgeous.”
Nathan laughed again. “We’ll see what happens. After all we still are young.”
“In some places, it’s legal to get married at your age. Like Vegas. Go there. You can get a pastor dressed as Elvis.”
“That’s not really my ideal picture of a wedding to remember.”
“Darn,” Nicol mumbled.
“Can you mix this for me, Jon?”
“Okay,” Jonathon mumbled.
“So how about you? What do you think about me being apart of your family?” Nathan asked.
“It’d be cool!” Jon said, his voice a bit more audible than before.
“I’d be cool?” Nathan asked cheerfully.
“Yeah!” Jon responded.
“And then you guys can live in a big house next to the beach and have two kids,” Nicol added.
Nathan laughed. “Don’t get your hopes up. There’s a lot of other guys out there who probably wants her just as bad as I do.” It was obvious he was referring to Lawren.
“Yeah, but she’d be stupid to pick any other guy.”
“Not if she loves them.”
“Then you’d have to fight for her.”
“You know, this conversation is getting a bit awkward,” Nathan said and laughed unsteadily.
“That’s because you’re making it awkward.”
I tuned out of their conversation and realized I was smiling. I tried to relax my face, but the smile stuck on like a tattoo.
The smell coming from the kitchen was delightful. It made me want to go over there and see what they were cooking. The scents of the food were blended so colorfully.
A couple of minutes passed by and I just flipped through the channels.
“Hey, Natalia!” Jayant said as he entered the house.
I stood up. “Hi, Jayant.”
“Natalia!” Harlie shrieked as she stepped through the door.
“Harlie!” I shrieked back and hugged her.
“How are you? It’s been so long!” She said as she examined me.
“I know,” I agreed. “I’m good. How about you?”
“Oh,” she breathed. “Paris was beautiful! I have to tell you all about it.”
“And don’t omit any details.”
She laughed. “It smells delicious! So I heard you have a boyfriend,” she whispered to me and nudged my arm playfully.
“Yeah, I do,” I said with a wide smile, my cheeks turning red.
Harlie looked as pretty as ever. Her hair was perfectly straight and cut, up to her waist, her bangs sat right above her eyelids and her hair was bleach blonde. Her skin was perfect and flawless, she was tall and thin, and her eyes were an aquamarine color. Harlie could be mistaken for a Second-Hand Ghost.
“Hey, Jay!” Nathan said, poking his head out of the corner.
“Nate!” Jayant said and walked into the kitchen.
Jayant and Nathan were really good friends that they even had nicknames for each other.
Harlie and I sat down in the TV room while Jayant, Nathan, Jonathon, and Nicol finished breakfast.
I told Harlie what was going on in my life lately except for the whole ghost thing. I mostly talked to her about boys, mainly Nathan. Then Harlie told me about her trip to New York and Paris, describing in full detail on everything she saw, making sure not to leave out any detail.
Jonathon walked in front of Harlie and I. “Breakfast is ready,” he announced in a murmur.
Harlie and I took Jonathon’s hands and he led us into my dining room.
There in the center of the table was a stack of golden cinnamon pancakes and crepes, eggs, homemade hash browns, a basket of freshly baked blueberry muffins, and orange juice.
“Do you like it?” Jonathon asked me.
“It looks so good,” I said. “C’mon, let’s eat.”
Everyone began eating and in the first couple of minutes, everyone was talking and laughing that I couldn’t help smiling. Despite how scared I still was for my ghost family‘s safety, I couldn’t help but be happy that this picture was so perfect.
For the rest of the day, we all stayed at my house and just did a little family bonding.
I knew that every second I spent with my family put them up for greater danger but what was I supposed to do?
♠ ♠ ♠
The Catalyst & The Incarnate: Phantom: Chapter 5: Family.