Regrets Remembered, Once Forgotten

Regrets Remembered

It’s too early in the morning for me to see things.

I walked carefully to the bathroom and turned on the faucet in the tub. I stripped off my pants and set my legs inside. It was soothing, so I sat there for an hour and a half, still thinking about my hallucination. At least, I think it was a hallucination.

My bottom was starting to cramp, so I took my legs out of the tub slowly. They started stinging again, but only at a minimum. I slowly went to the sink and got the Emergency Kit underneath. I put some gauze on my burns, so they wouldn’t hurt when I changed. With that done, I paced slowly into my bedroom closet and slowly changed into pants.

Man, I thought, I’m slow.

I walked -you guessed it- slowly, to the kitchen to clean up my mess. I got the mop and started cleaning, cautiously, wondering if the girl would come back.

When she didn’t, I was actually disappointed. I wanted to ask her if she was who I thought she was. She looked so much like the girl…

“Yalley!” My thirteen-year-old self yelled. “Where are you!” I ran around the trees.

A black-haired girl ran out from behind a tree. “Right here!”

I ran over to her, relieved. “I was looking for you forever”

She ran over to me. “Well, you didn’t look hard enough!” She giggled and ran over to a large oak tree nearby. Up above was a tree-house. She climbed up the small stairs. She reached the top and dangled her head over the edge. “You coming?”

I smiled, forgetting my worry from before. “Of course!”

I climbed up, went in the tree-house, and sat in the corner, Yalley sitting right next to the open door. “You know,” She said. “You have a funny nose.”

Giggling, I looked at her. “Do not!”

She smiled, “Do too!”

“Do not,” I pushed her, playfully.

“Do, too!” She pushed back.

I pushed back again. “Do! Too- Yalley!”

I looked over the edge of the tree-house platform. She was sprawled on the brown dirt.

I rushed down the stairs. “Yalley! Yalley! I’m so, so, so, so sorry!” I sobbed. I ran over to her body. “Yalley? Please! Wake up!”

I shook her. “Darling, wha—what happened!” My mother ran over to us.

I was sobbing while hugging myself. “We were playing around and she fell down. Please, Mom. What’s gonna happen to her?”

My mother put two finger on Yalley’s neck. She gasped. “I don’t know, honey.”

She got out her phone and dialed three numbers. “My daughter’s friend fell off a tree-house. I- I can’t feel her pulse!” She rambled on the important information of our address.

When she hung up, she hugged me. “Don’t- don’t you worry, hun. She’s going to be okay.”

She rocked me back in forth. The sirens in the background, slowly approaching...

I gasped, falling down. The stinging in my legs came back, furiously, but I was paying attention to my flashback. “So that’s who she-she was. My best friend, Yalley, and I- and I killed her!” I cried.

I ran out of the kitchen, blinded by my tears. I sprinted out of my cottage and through the forest nearby. I ran through all the trees until I finally stood before an old oak tree with a tree-house at the top.

I climbed up the small stairs, carefully, my tears were falling less rapidly now. When I made it to the top, I went inside the house and cried more tears as all my memories came back.

-Flashback-
“Hi. I’m Yalley. What’s your name?” A little girl with black hair asked a five-year-old version of myself.

I stopped walking towards my mom and smiled at her “Danny.”

“You want to play with me?” She asked, innocently.

I looked at the playground behind her. “Sure!”

-

Yalley gasped. “Look at this! Danny!”

I ran over to her. “What?”

She pointed up. “Look!”

I looked up. A tree-house was resting on the branches, small steps were leading up.

“Let’s check it out!”

-

I stopped running, breathing heavily. “Come on, Danny! You’re such a slowpoke.”

I looked at her. “It’s not my… fault… I can’t… run like… you,” I gasped.

Yalley stuck out her tongue at me. “And don’t you forget it!”

She ran off.

-

“Hi, Yalley!” Hi—

“What are you doing here?” I heard the wind whisper.

I turned around. My eyes opened wide. “Yalley?”