Love Lost; Love Found

Chapter 1/1

Nick got into his truck from his house, slamming the door shut. His girlfriend, Mikayla, flung the door open and glared at him.

“Don’t you walk away from me, Nick! I’m not done with you yet!” She screamed at him. He turned the key in the ignition and the engine roared to life. “Nick!” She shouted, running toward the truck and flinging the door open.

“Hey, I’m gonna be late for work!” He shouted, struggling to detach her from the car without hurting her. She glared at him fiercely, and he sighed, turning off the car. “Look, Mikayla, I’m sorry, but I don’t think I can go out with you anymore if you’re going to be this controlling,” He said.

“Nick, I’m not being controlling, you’re just not listening to me, so I have to do stuff myself!” She said. Nick stared at her for a long time.

“Mikayla, even when I do things you tell me to do, you tell me to stop so you can do it ‘the right way’. If that’s not being controlling, I don’t know what is!” He said. She flinched and let go of the car door. “Mikayla, I don’t want to hurt you,” He said.

“I know, Nick. I can see I’ve hurt you, though,” She said softly. “I’m sorry. I’ll go.” She turned to walk away.

“Wait,” He said, getting out of the truck. “At least let me give you a ride home.” She smiled softly.

“I can’t impose on you like that,” She said, walking across his grass. “I’m sorry it couldn’t work out between us.” She walked up the street and out of sight. Nick sat there for a long time, staring after her. His phone went off and he jumped.

Nick, where are you? – Catherine.

“Shit!” He shouted, closing the door and starting the engine. He was almost an hour late for work. Grissom would never forgive him.

On my way, Cath. I had some girlfriend trouble. – Nick.

He drove hurriedly toward the station. There was a squeal of tires on asphalt, the sound of breaking glass and metal scraping metal, and his body was flung sideways. He would’ve been in the passenger’s side door if he wasn’t wearing a seatbelt.

He was covered in broken glass, dazed and confused. He put a hand to his head and brought it to his face to find it was covered in blood. He felt dizzy as a police officer went to his car.

“Mr. Stokes! Are you all right?” He asked, pulling the door open. Nick took off the seatbelt and slid sideways out of the car. The officer caught him and helped him to the nearest ambulance.

“What happened?” Nick asked, confused. It had all happened so fast, he wasn’t even sure what had happened.

“You were driving through the light and a drunk driver flew through the red light and slammed into your car,” The officer explained. “Captain Brass!” He shouted over his shoulder, motioning Brass toward Nick.

“Nick, are you all right?” He asked.

“Considering the situation, I guess so,” Nick answered. “I don’t think anything’s broken, and I’m still alive, so yeah.” He tried to smile but found it hard to at this time. “How’s the other driver?” He asked.

“In the other ambulance. He’s not in very good shape,” Brass answered. Nick nodded slowly.

“Well, hopefully he’ll be all right,” Nick said. Brass nodded.

“I have to get back to the station and let everyone know you’re all right,” He said. Nick waved as he left. The other officer led him onto the stretcher and they rode to the hospital.

---

Nick lay in the hospital bed, staring up at the ceiling for a long time. His roommate’s snores filled the otherwise silent room. He couldn’t sleep, and he didn’t dare turn on the television, so he occupied himself with staring at ceilings.

He half hoped Greg would stop by, but he realized they wouldn’t allow visitors at such a late time. He closed his eyes for what seemed like a few seconds and it was suddenly very bright out. He blinked; he hadn’t remembered falling asleep.

He looked around the room to see that his roommate wasn’t there anymore. He also found that he had company. It wasn’t Greg there to see him, but Grissom. His stomach did a flip flop as he watched Grissom sleep in the chair next to his bed.

What’s he doing here at this time? He thought. He’d never seen his supervisor sleep before, and he looked so peaceful. The nurse that walked in smiled, gently putting a blanket over his shoulders. She took Nick’s vitals before leaving them alone again.

Nick continued to study his supervisor’s sleeping face, and he suddenly longed to touch his hair or his face. He wondered where those feelings came from, but deep down he knew he’d always felt that way about his supervisor.

Grissom stirred and opened his eyes. He looked up, confused, and then he turned toward Nick. Recognition flashed in his eyes, quickly replaced by concern.

“You’re awake,” He said simply, his voice showing no sign of the emotion his eyes showed.

“Yeah, I slept right through the night,” Nick said. Grissom smiled, sending Nick’s heart racing.

“I know,” He said softly. “I’m glad you slept. It’ll help speed up your recovery.” Nick nodded, fighting back a blush. The doctor walked into the room.

“Mr. Stokes, I’m Dr. Lowry,” She said, holding a clipboard in her hands. “Your condition has improved greatly since they brought you in. You can go home, but I don’t want you doing anything stressful for a few days.” Nick nodded.

“So, that means no work for a while?” He said. She nodded.

“At least two weeks,” She confirmed. Nick turned to Grissom, who nodded.

“I’ll give you two and a half,” Grissom said. The doctor nodded, pleased.

“That sounds like a reasonable amount of time,” She said. “I just need you to sign these papers, Mr. Stokes, and then you’re free to go.” Nick signed the release forms and headed out of the hospital with Grissom.

“I’ll give you a ride home,” Grissom said. Nick nodded gratefully and climbed into the passenger’s seat of Grissom’s SUV. The ride to Nick’s place was nearly dead silent. Nick tapped his fingers against his leg in agitation, waiting for Grissom to say something.

They pulled into Nick’s driveway. They got out, and Grissom walked Nick to the front door.

“Than-“ Nick’s thanks were cut off by the sudden presence of Grissom’s lips on his. Nick instantly leaned into the kiss, laying his hand on the back of Grissom’s head, feeling his hair. They broke apart reluctantly.

“Didn’t think I felt the same way, did you?” Grissom said. Without waiting for a response, he turned and headed back to the SUV. Nick watched until Grissom was out of sight, his lips still feeling the gentle pressure of Grissom’s.