Status: Going with the flow.

Misguided Ghosts

t h r e e

Rain softly splattered on the roof of the small automobile quietly, the melodic sound lulling my restless body to sleep. As I fought the needed sleep that was swiftly succumbing me, listless and painful memories ejected themselves into my mind. I gave up trying to forget them; for I had to accept that this action was unbearably impossible. Snippets of mother's bright and warm smile flashes before my drooping eyes, bringing more tears to my eyes. My father's joyous laughs mixed themselves into my memories as well; working with the lullaby of falling precipitation. Before I knew it, dreamland unfolded before me.

“Hazel, wake up,” Miss Anne said, her shrill words sending me to consciousness with a sudden jolt. I jumped up, untangling myself from the loose seat belt that was wrapped around my tiny body. Stumbling out of the car, I gasped at the horrid view before my still blurry eyes. Confusion and nervousness still visibly held before my pale face as I dragged my suitcase up to the old brick building. I stopped abruptly before the entrance as Miss Anne strolled over the threshold of the Mary Anne Adoption Center. “Come along!” she ushered me, hurrying me within the walls of the adoption center.
Although the outside appearances were relatively nice, the inside was an entirely different story. The filthy couches in the waiting room were visibly thread bare, the ugly colors of moss green threads yanked away from the ancient fabric. I tentatively sat where Miss Anne instructed me to sit, twirling my wavy hair nervously. Someone then entered the room, shaking hands with Miss Anne before turning slowly to me.

“Hello, you must be Hazel Jayde,” an older woman said, folding her hands as she swiftly scanned my small body. I blushed a little and looked down, feeling my heart pound within my chest.

“Well, don't be rude, say hello,” Miss Anne snapped quietly at me, shooking a look at me.

“Hello,” I said quietly, barely audible to even my own eyes. The old woman smiled sadly at me, clucking her tongue in a dismayed way.

“How unfortunate, the poor girl. What happened to her parents?” she asked, as if this was her business. All she needed to know was that I didn't have them anymore, I thought gingerly to myself. Although I was a bit infuriated with her nosiness, I was careful to not voice my thoughts.

“Died, were both shot multiple times,” Miss Anne said, sounding unsympathetic, which only amplified my angry feelings further. I clenched both at my fists at my sides, feeling my face grow quickly with anger.

“Stop talking about my parents!” I blurted out, my eyes widening at my sudden and unexpected outburst. “I mean, I-I'm sorry, I just-”

“Don't you talk to me that way!” the women shouted at me, her once calm and composed face twisting into a scary and mad one. I cringed away, holding my breath. What was the punishment here? I thought to myself, waiting for something further to happen. When nothing was said or done for a few more seconds, Miss Anne cleared her throat, breaking the awkward silence.

“Um, I must go now, good luck finding another family, Hazel,” she said, scurrying out of the room in a old, mouse-like way. I gulped as she slammed the large oak double-doors behind her, I slowly turned around to old Bitch-face. She had a sour look on her face, only deepening my disliking towards her.

“Well?” she said, tapping her foot on the ground impatiently. I looked at her, not sure what she wanted me to say. I contemplated for a few seconds, finally realizing that I needed to give her an apology. Sure, she wanted one, but I did not do anything wrong.

“I'm sorry, it won't happen again,” I said quietly to her, staring down at my chestnut Ugg boots. Little splatters of brown, wet mud were on the edges of them. Usually, this was upset me. But now, I couldn't care less.

“It better not, we do not tolerate that kind of behavior around here,” she said sternly to me, “we have established many rules that you must follow around here, under all circumstances. Do you understand me?” I merely nodded in response, taking in a deep breath as she still looked anger at me. “Don't just nod your head at me, answer me!” she boomed, placing wrinkly hand on her non-existent hip.

“Yes, I understand.” I rushed quickly into a small breath, adding another enthusiastic nod in hopes to fulfill her satisfaction.

After a half-hour of a small tour of the floor I was to live on, I was honestly utterly disgusted. The building was very unsanitary, food littered all over the dirt-smudged (I sure hope it was dirt or mud...) floor, which were also covered by thread bare area rugs that were splattered in God-knows-what. Little children spewed chewed food at me as I passed by, which I silently backed away from with a terrified look on my face. Where the fuck am I, I thought to myself over and over again. Those five words played in my mind all day long, like a broken record.

“This is your dorm room, where you will be sleeping,” the women said, who I now know is named Miss Dabney. I nodded, walked slowly and cautiously into the room. The rough and stained hard-wood floor was bare; cold and musty air sifting through the open gaps and slipping between my toes. Shivers raced up my spine as I examined my bed; which consisted of only a single, off-white sheet and a small blanket as thin a paper lying on top of it. Across from it, there was another bed identical to mine, except the blanket was navy blue.

“Do I share this room with someone?” I asked, tucking a stray piece of hair behind my ear. Miss Dabney nodded gravely, sighing loudly.

“Yes, you share it with a boy named Jasey.” She muttered, “He is quite a trouble-maker, you should avoid him. He is two years older than you.” I nodded, wondering if he would be nice to me. The last thing I needed was to constantly fight and bicker with someone, I just wanted to get out of her. Even if that meant that I'd have to be forced to live with another family.

“Okay, thank you.” I murmured quietly as she left the room, leaving me to unpack my belongings. I neatly folded and put away each article of clothing away in my small closet, careful to keep it in perfect order. Those were one of the rules that were written in big, black letters on the “Rules and Regulation Chart” that hung on the wall above my bed. As I slid my black converse into the shoe drawer, I heard a small tap on the door frame. I jumped, spinning around.

“Who the fuck are you? What the fuck are you doing in my room?” a boy yelled, pacing towards me. I backed up, holding up my hands.

“I'm, um, Hazel, and I have to share this room with you now...I'm new here and...” I yelped as his pale face got dangerously close to mine, his deep brown eyes burning with fire.

“What? So now that you're 'new' here, you think I'm gonna give you some kind of special treatment? Hm? Well, then, fuck you.” He growled, “Just leave me the fuck alone, you stupid bitch.” I gasped, the words hitting me hard. My eyes got watery, and I cursed myself for my high sensitivity.

“I'm sorry,” I whispered, before running out of the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shit! This is really, really long. I was trying to keep the chapter short and simple, but it's real late (2:00 AM, so I guess you could say early) when I wrote this chapter.
ANYWAY, thank you so much for reading! It means so much to me!
Comments make my day too, and the more comments I receive, the faster I update! :D
ALSO, don't get thrown off by the "Dick-wad, Innocent-girl" thing, their NOT going to fall in love (I think) and it's JUST to show you how much of an ass her roommate it.
ANYWAAAAY, I really do hope you enjoyed. :3