The Waiting Room

Chapter Two

I looked down at my blue jeans and plain white shirt. You know, I hate to admit but this outfit is kinda comfortable, I thought. I took a few steps and then put my hands in the jean pockets. Roomy, too.

The shirt reached an inch below the top the of the jeans and the jeans strayed over my new sneakers. I hate spending money on new clothes when my old ones are just fine. I look over at the mirror in the corner before finally relaxing.

The front door bursts open and I immediately run to the living room, assuming the worst. When I spot the blonde hair, my body stops and I watch as Cameron takes his arm from around the brunette girl next to him and walks over to me. He smiles that fox grin and extends his arms as if to hug me, "Sam, my man! I love your new wardrobe." He emphasized "love."

I smiled sheepishly, uncomfortable by the stranger standing behind him. "Thanks. I kind of just had an epiphany and decided to go shopping."

He chuckled at my words and motioned to the girl behind him. "Sam, I know it's short notice but there's a party nearby that I'm going to. Jenni here is going to take me since it's at her friend's house. Is that all right with you?" I thought I heard him mumble, "Not that it matters."

"Sure," I said not caring. My eyes lingered on the girl's clothes. Ugh, I thought. More fabric would suffice.

Cameron grinned at my scrunched up face. "Well, I'll see you later then."

He walked away, replacing his arm once again on Jenni's shoulder. I muttered, "Don't you mean tomorrow."

Cameron looked back at me and smiled then walked out of the pent house and into the elevator with Jenni by his side.

I sighed, "Now, how should I pass the time.."

I walked into my bedroom and got my wallet off the mahogany dresser of mine. Might as well buy groceries like the girl I am.

The shiny metal doors slid sideways out of view and dinged as the elevator reached the lobby. The warm cinnamony smell reached my nose as the wind from outside blew it around. I looked around the lobby at the leather couches put out for show. There were fancy paintings and vases everywhere. It just seemed too perfect.

I walked out of the small elevator and watched as a couple entered it. I recognized them as the Lauro's, two floors below me and Cameron. I kept walking forward but didn't look where I was going, so I didn't notice that I walked into someone until it was too late.

"Oh, my-- I'm sorry! So sorry!" I said frantically as I stuck out a hand to help the young woman up off the cream-colored floor. I pulled her up and watched as she dusted dust off her pencil skirt. "I'm so sorry! I wasn't watching where I was going and I--"

She cut me off with a glare. "It's all right. You don't have to keep saying sorry over and over again."

"Sorry- Whoops." I looked down at my new shoes, my shiny blonde hair covering my green eyes. Embarrassed beyond belief, I didn't look up at her when she replied.

I heard her sigh, "It's OK. It's just that... I've been having a bad day. Didn't mean to snap at you."

I looked at her through the small slits of my hair. "It's all right then."

She smiled at me, showing dimples on her cheek. She threw her black hair behind her and flattened down her fancy clothes. I looked on motionless not sure what to say now. I didn't have to say anything because after a while, she started the conversation. "So want to get some coffee with me? To make up for knocking me down?"

My mouth formed a smile of its own as I nodded, "Sure."

Her smile got wider showing her pearly whites,"Well, in that case I'm Reign*."

Mesmerized by her smile, I answered robotically, "Sam. Pleased to, " I paused. " Meet you."

And just like that we walked out of the glass doors of the building and to the coffee shop down the street.

The air scented of biscuits and caramel when I walked in, the furniture consisted of wooden chairs and cafe tables you only see in the movies. It didn't seem that special but it was peaceful. There were leather couches located at the entrance, but few people were sitting there.

One blond waitress was recognized in the whole cafe but she was on the other side of the room. She didn't seem to notice our entrance, but then again no one else did either.

The only person to see us come in was a broad-shouldered man in a dark blue police officer uniform. There was a silver badge on his chest confirming his importance to the city. He was looking at us from over his right shoulder, but his curiosity was easily shown. After a while, he turned his head a fraction of a second away from us and when he did, I noticed a scar on his neck.

I immediately recognized the guy as one of Cameron's police friends. Cameron once told me a story a while back about being stuck in the middle of a gang fight in downtown LA. A local cop saved him from it but the guy got the tip of a knife wedged in his neck. It wasn't deep but it left a scar behind, in the shape of a check.

When I saw the mark, I knew he was the person Cameron was talking about. I mean, how many people have birth marks in the shape of a check? Not the people I know, that's for sure.

I looked away from the police officer when Reign motioned for me to follow her. She led me to an empty table in the sea of people. I noticed that more people were sitting at wooden tables instead of soft leather couches.

Reign and I sat down at the same time. Neither of us noticed that we were sitting on opposite sides of the table though. I was too busy looking around at my surroundings, never being here before and all. Even though I lived down the streets, I've never been in here. I was never one for caffeine.

While I was looking around, Reign was absent-mindlessly watching me. I didn't notice until I turned to look at her and she was staring straight at me. She looked serious so she smiled to show through facial features that nothing was wrong.

I grew bored of the silence between us so I started talking. "So..."

She smiled at me. "So."

I thought of a conversation starter an came up with nothing. "So how's it going?" She laughed as I mentally face-palmed at my lame phrase. The words still ringed in my ears as she straightened up and tried to control her laughing.

"You haven't been out in a while, have you?" She put two fingers over her red lips as if a laugh might escape against her will.

I dropped my head on the table "No, I haven't. Not in a long while."

I heard the scraping of a chair being moved and felt a presence to my right. A fragile hand was on my shoulder. "Hey, don't worry. I haven't either."

I straightened up, her hand falling off. "Probably not as long as me."

Our conversation was interrupted when the same blonde waitress I noticed before came over. She asked us our order and we said two cups of coffee and lots of sugar. When she left, we resumed our conversation as if nothing happened.

"What, someone as cute as you? I don't believe that." She said.

I made eye contact with her. "I'm not that special."

Reign gasped at my words. "I refuse to believe that! Everyone is special and I will show it to you." She looked at her watch. "Oh. It's already three! I've got an appointment with-- Look. I will show to you that you are too. This Friday, I will take you to a fancy restaurant or something.

I looked at her bewildered. "Isn't the guy supposed to ask that?"

She laughed and said, "Does it matter? Now, where do you live."

I loved the thought of making her laugh, so I tried again. "Wait, what if you're some kind of stalker?"

She smiled. Damn it, I thought. "Well, we'll just have to see, won't we?"

I grinned at her and stood up, she followed soon after. I took out my wallet and slipped a five out, dropping it on the table to pay for the coffees that hadn't arrived yet. I grabbed her hand and led her outside where I pointed at the building that had my brother's pent on the top floor.

"There. Meet me in the lobby at seven o'clock. I'll be waiting," I said growing some back bone for the first time in my life.

"Okay, see you then. Bye." She kissed me on the cheek then walked away waving.

"Bye."

Did I just say damn it?
♠ ♠ ♠
* Pronounced like [ ray - n ].