The Waiting Room

Chapter Three.

Swirls of dark red colors danced at the corner of my vision, the ceiling staring down at me blankly. Here and there lay glow-in-the-dark stars that I bought from the dollar store. None of this was of importance, though. I was laying on my mahogany bed glancing at my cell phone every couple seconds, waiting for it to say the time I was looking for.

My suit started to feel uncomfortable, crinkling under my restless form. It was a good thing I kept a couple suits, I thought. I wonder where she's taking me though. Hope it's somewhere nice-OMG, I sound like a girl. Why don't I just do my nails or...

I stood up from the bed and flattened out the black suit. Looking at my phone, I noticed it was two minutes before the designated time, and since I planned to be on time I rushed out of my bedroom to get my wallet. This time I was going to be a gentleman and pay for dinner. Might even make her laugh.

The black wallet lay on the kitchen counter, where I quickly swiped it and ran out the front door. Cameron was nowhere to be found. Better for me because I didn't have to put up with his constant mocking. Apparently I haven't ever dated a girl since ninth grade when I was dared to ask out a girl that always sat alone. Poor kid.

The elevator was slow to arrive so by the time I got to the lobby, it was three minutes past seven. It was disappointing to be late but minutes aren't crucial. Neither are they to her, for when I arrived she was not standing in all her beauty, by the couches patiently making small talk with passer-bys. She hadn't even arrived.

I sighed disappointingly to have to wait for Reign and dejectedly walked over to the leather couches, hoping for her slim form to walk through the front doors any second. It wasn't until two minutes later that she did come- not that I was counting, of course. I was just that impatient to start the date; Reign was just that great to be around.

I stood up with a small smile gracing my lips as I saw her come in. She looked around the room before setting her eyes on my tall form. She walked over with gracefulness as I just watched with my smile turning into a full-out grin. She returned it before looking me up and down as she stopped right before me.

"Wow, you clean up nice! Best guy I've ever seen in a suit." She looked up at me from under her long eyelashes. "Ever."

I laughed showing her my pearly whites as I looked at her dark blue dress and matching shoes. It showed in her eyes that she was looking at my mouth instead of my eyes. She looked back up at me quickly and smiled again. My mind set all it's thoughts straight as I said, "So should we be going to this fantastic restaurant of yours? Or stay here talking all night?"

Reign tapped her chin as if in thought, "Let's go to the restaurant and continue our conversation there."

I faked surprise as I looked at her, "Are you saying both? Reign, what a dare-devil!" What's happening to my religion as to my saying that forbidden word? Forget it Sam, focus on her.

She let out her musical laugh and grabbed my hand, slowly pulling me after her as she walked towards the front doors. "You don't know that much about me. You'll just have to find out... or be left in the dark!"

We walked out onto the sidewalk where we stopped as I remembered something. "Wait, should I get my car keys if we're going anywhere far? I can't just let you drive me."

Reign looked at my flustered eyes, hers showing amusement. "Relax Sam. It's near here, within walking distance you could say."

Three blocks over I realized that it wasn't that far at all. Another near-by place that I don't even know, La Beauté. A French restaurant close to the pent and I know nothing of it. That's just pathetic considering I love food from France, except escargot. I always feel bad for the snails.

Walking in with Reign by my side, I felt like the most lucky man on Earth. I looked over at the black-haired beauty and wondered if she really was as great as I thought, even in the small amount I knew her. Against the leather black book I've come to worship, I thought that Reign really was perfect. Maybe I'm just clouded by what I think is loneliness though, I thought to myself.

She didn't notice my staring as she walked up to the woman at the small booth. Her dark uniform matched the mysterious yet romantic aura around the restaurant. There were dark red sconces on the walls with chairs to match. Red velvet blankets rested upon the tables and candles on top, there was even a small chandelier over every table or so. The black tiles laying before my feet even made the place seem even all that more enticing. The restaurant looked nice but did the food, I wonder. Well, if Reign likes it..

Reign stated "Winters" and watched as the blonde waitress looked down the piece of paper before her. The woman followed her place with her right index finger, every once in a while glancing up at me from under her bangs. I felt Reign stiffen next to me but she said nothing of it.

Finally, the waitress found what she was looking for and motioned us over to a table in a secluded corner. There was few people around us but the air still remained nice and quiet. This place was perfect for a first date.

As I pulled out a chair for Reign she sat down, but not before sending a glare at the waitress as she set down our menus and brushed oh so nonchalantly by my shoulder. I walked over to my seat and glanced quickly at the menu before looking over at Reign who had a disgusted look on her face. It quickly changed to carefree as she noticed my staring.

She bit her lip before saying, "Sorry about that. First restaurant I recommend and a waitress ends up hitting on you!"

She tried to brush it off but I could still see that fierce look in her eye. I tried to calm her down with words and a hand resting on hers, "It's alright. No harm done. Besides, I'm here with you not her."

Reign smiled before letting out a breath she seemed to be holding in. "Well, do you really think it's OK? I mean, she just treated you like you're just an object to her! Not even caring about feelings, just going along with it."

She's upset, a flaw, but for good intentions. "It's fine, it's fine. Some people are just like that."

Like Cameron, I thought.

"You're right. Shouldn't let it get to me. Let's just enjoy the evening right?" She sent a questioning look my way.

"Right," I said as the waitress came back to ask us what we'd like to drink.

As the night progressed, I found myself and Reign letting ourselves talk freely about our lives and values. She had morals and intentions similar to my own. I even found out that Reign didn't have a religion but still believed in God.

"I mean, I wonder if God feels our pain. Even cries with us! Like-like rain is his tears. That's why on a bad day it's cloudy, like at a funeral." Her eyes glazed over as if in deep thought. "And that's why I hate my name. It's like sadness. I'm cursed to have bad luck, I believe. Maybe that's why I got cheated on.."

I was thinking of my parents and on that cruel day they got murdered years back in an alley. I was only half-listening until she said the last part. "Wh-what? A name doesn't have anything to do with relationships. It has to do with the persons involved. The man who dated you obviously had no brains to be able to love what he had."

I sent a sheepish smile her way as I finished, but it turned wider as Reign stood up and ran over to hug me. Her eyes were glistening with tears, spilling over her tanned cheeks and coming to rest on her ruby red lips. "Oh, Sam! You're completely kind and adorable. I don't think I deserve you!"

My arms around her, I squeezed back as I lightly kissed her shoulder. "From what I think, I don't think I deserve you."

And as I walked home that night, I felt like nothing would ever bring my mood down again. Not even the trashed Cameron I walked home to.
♠ ♠ ♠
La Beauté just means The Beauty in English. I'm not the most creative person.