‹ Prequel: Phantom
Sequel: Ghost
Status: Start Date: August 20, 2009. Finish Date: November 9, 2009

Apparition

Prologue & Forgetful

Prologue
I remembered the time a year ago when I thought that meeting up with Sarah was the most stupid, idiotic, and reckless thing I’ve ever done considering the fact that I thought she was a stalker and wanted to capture me and turn me into some kind of lab rat but if I compared this moment to that then meeting up with my “stalker” would have been as easy as pie and the most safest thing a person could ever do because what I was doing at the moment was risking my life and probably my families as well to hopefully save one.
When you loved someone as much as you love your family then doesn’t that tell you something? That you shouldn’t just let them die without the effort of saving them? My heart said yes but my mind said no.
There was no going back now because I was already here. My mind would just have to shut up because my life was already flashing before my eyes even though I was yet to die.
I felt the unexplainable force pulling me toward the shack. The force was like nothing I’ve ever felt before. Definitely stronger than the force that pulled me to Sarah the first day I encountered her.
The force was much stronger because it wasn’t only pulling me toward my ghost brother but toward the love of my life as well.
“I’m coming, my love.”

Chapter 1: Forgetful
“Bye,” I called to my brothers, Jayant, Jonathon, and sister, Nicolette as we ran to Nathans car parked in the driveway. Nathan had to hold me as we ran to the car because of the sheet of ice that covered the ground.
We got into Nathans’ car, he put the key into the ignition and spun out of the driveway without warming up the car like he usually did.
“And you say I’m the crazy driver?” I asked and laughed as I turned on the heat.
“We have five minutes until school starts. I don’t want to be the reason for your attendance not being perfect for your last year of high school,” he explained. “I should really remind myself to keep track of time. I’ve never been like this, you know?”
I shrugged my shoulders. “I realized I don’t care anymore. It’s my last year of high school and it’s almost over. It doesn’t hurt to be spontaneous once in a while, right?”
“Where’d this new Natalia come from?” He asked and laughed. “When I first met you, you were this quiet girl, playing by the rules and everything.”
“That Natalia was already leaving the day she met you,” I said and giggled. “With you as my tranquilizer, I can be the girl I’ve always wanted to be!”
“The day she met me,” Nathan mused.
“Do you like the new Natalia?” I asked, anxious.
“I love all of Natalia’s personas,” he said and looked over at me with a smile.
We got to Roosevelt High School and there were only a couple people outside because the bell had already rang. I took Nathans hand as we ran into the building to first period, social studies. The final bell rang once we entered the classroom.
“Right on time,” Ms. Birdine murmured as she began taking attendance.
Nathan and I took our seats next to Blaine and got ready for another typical day of school.
A couple minutes later, Nathan slipped me a note. “Anything in mind for lunch today?”
“Is this what you’re taking notes on? What I want for lunch today?” I replied. I looked over at him and laughed quietly as Ms. Birdine lectured.
“Just because I didn’t go to school doesn’t mean I wasn’t home school. I know all about Russian history already”.
“Of course you do. Well, I’ve been craving a sub sandwich. And I don’t want to go to a fancy sub sandwich restaurant.”
He laughed when he read the note. “Alright then.” He wrote back.
“Natalia, I hope you know I don’t accept wrinkled notes,” Ms. Birdine said which was the subtle hint of “put the note away before I read it in front of the class.’
I quickly shoved the note in my bag next to my feet.
“I’ll start over,” I said with an angelic smile.
Ms. Birdine eyed me then continued with her lecture.
I looked over at Nathan who was quietly chuckling. I elbowed him on his ribs.
People might think that with my boyfriend in every single one of my classes, my grades would plummet down but I still managed to keep a steady B average in most classes. Some I even receive A’s. But for Nathan, he managed to keep straight A’s. People would have thought that since he dropped out of school, he wasn’t smart but the truth was that Nathan was very logical. Except for the pass couple of weeks where I had to constantly remind him what we were talking about in class or even with our conversations.
The teachers allowed Nathan and I to be together because they knew we had morals. Letting us be together was harmless. We made sure that as long as it was class hours or even passing time, we’d remain platonic.
After second period in the same class Nathan and I went off to Health class with Coach Sullyvin. We had that class with two of my other best friends, Chloe and Alex. Alex knew about ghosts. She found out on her own when she saw Nathan jump out of my bedroom window months ago. She interrogated me until I had no choice but to tell her the truth. Ever since Alex knew the secret, we grew closer together.
Math was fourth period with Mr. Erikson. I had it with Nathan, my best friend, Lawren, and the new girl, Maddie. When the school year started in the fall, I loathed Maddie for the way she acted and looked at my boyfriend. Just a month ago before Christmas break, I confronted Maddie and told her how I felt.
“Maddie, can I talk to you?” I asked right after Math. I let Nathan and Lawren go to the cafeteria without us and Maddie and I were the only people still in class.
“Yeah, sure, Natalia. What is it?” She asked happily. Maddie was naturally a happy person. There was nothing that was able to bring her down. The angelic smile was on her face twenty-four seven.
“Let’s sit,” I said and sat in the chair next to her. She set her bag back down on the table and sat down. She faced me and smiled, ready to hear what I had to say. She fiddled with her golden key necklace that she always had on.
“I don’t mean to be blunt but I don’t like the way you act around Nathan.”
Maddie giggled. “What’re you talking about?”
“You know what I’m talking about! You’re trying to… snatch him away from me!”
“Natalia, if you think I like your boyfriend then you got it all wrong! I know you two are together. I’m not the kind of girl you think I am.”
“But then you two are always laughing, and talking, and stuff.” I felt a bit embarrassed now.
“Nathan is a funny guy. The truth is… I like Lawren,” she whispered. Her face turned as red as the Garnet inside her key.
My eyes widened. “Wow.” I mouthed. “But you don’t seem like you do.”
“That’s because I’m shy around him,” she admitted.
“Do you want me to get you two together?” I asked.
“No, no, no,” she said waving her hands in front of her. “No,” she said once more. “I’m perfectly fine with him not knowing. And with him never taking the time to start a real conversation with me….”
“Maddie, if you like him so much, why don’t you be the one to start the conversation? How about I switch seats with you? Everything would be much better that way.”
“It looks like he enjoys your company. I think you’re the one he likes.”
“Me?” I scoffed. “No. We’re just friends- although Lawren does look at me a bit weird-but still friends. Tomorrow you’re going to sit next to him, okay?”
“I don’t know, Natalia,” she said dubiously.
“C’mon! I know what I’m doing,” I laughed.
“Fine. But I’m only going to sit next to him so that you can sit next to Nathan.” It was clear that wasn’t the only reason.
Ever since then, the steam between Maddie and I cooled off and I was completely fine with her. At first, Lawren didn’t like the new seating arrangement and he told me that secretly but he slowly got used to Maddie and he didn’t mind sitting next to her. Maddie thanked me for that.
“Sub sandwich?” Nathan asked me.
“Yup,” I said, popping the “P”. “Don’t forget your keys.” I nodded my head toward the edge of the desk.
“Drive safely,” Maddie said. “There’s a lot of black ice out there.”
“We’ll be sure to,” Nathan responded.
“See you later,” we called to Maddie as we walked out the door.
Nathan and I walked to the side of the school next to the parking lot right next to the main road. This was where Nathan usually transformed because students rarely came around this section of the school since it was where the dumpsters were.
I watched as Nathan transformed which was as easy as breathing to him now. He recently gained control of Clarence Ashburton-his ghost-just a month ago so he no longer struggled with his what he was. I on the other hand still had a bit of trouble.
I got onto his back and held on tight. I kind of got used to this way of transportation and I was now able to keep my eyes open for half of the time.
As Nathan jumped much too high as necessary over the fence, I heard someone yell our name. I looked down and saw Maddie in the parking lot running toward the car holding a pair of keys.
“Who was that?” Nathan asked.
“It was Maddie. She was trying to give you back your keys that you left in class! I told you not to forget them.”
“Did she see us?” He asked, worry in his voice.
“I hope not,” I responded. Since it was broad daylight, Nathan was safe and no one was able to spot us. Hopefully.
“You really shouldn’t be so careless, Nathan!” I whispered when we entered the sub shop.
“I’m sorry! I just… forgot,” he sighed. “I don’t know what’s wrong with me. It’s like someone rewired my brain and they put the blue wire with the red wire and the red wire with the green wire and the green wire with the turquoise wire and the turquoise wire with the mauve wire and the mauve wire with the crimson-”
“Nathan, Nathan, Nathan. I got it,” I said and laughed.
“Oh. I’m sorry. I was rambling, wasn’t I?”
I nodded my head and smiled.
“That’s what I mean,” he muttered, embarrassed.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Catalyst & The Incaranate: Apparition: Prologue & Chapter 1: Forgetful.