Status: Start Date: January 19, 2010. Finish Date: May 16, 2010

Message in a Bottle

Chapter 21

Chapter Twenty-One
The next day we finally came home and everything felt… weird. The way there was no guitar playing in the living room or singing. It felt empty and quiet.
“I’ll be in my room,” mom whispered.
“Me too.”
I trudged up the stairs and right when I opened the door to my room something caught my eye on the bed. It was a green glass bottle with a piece of rolled up paper inside.
I pulled out the cork and turned the bottle upside down, the note falling onto my bed. I unrolled the paper and scanned it before I read it. Then tears began rolling down my face as I read the lyrics to Ben’s new song, Another Chance. The title had enough for me to know that this song referred to many things in my life but I went on and read the rest of the lyrics anyways. I read the song countless times and cried every time. I laid my head on my pillow, holding the song close to my heart as I fell asleep.

“Please Lydia, don’t do this. I want to be here for you and help you get through this.”
“I’m sorry, Kyle but I just can’t handle this right now. Morgan needs me more than ever with her break-up and Benjamin,” mom’s voice went out. “I can’t stand to loose her again,” she croaked.
“We can talk this out. I may not know a whole lot about Morgan but I’m sure she wouldn’t want you doing this.”
“You wouldn’t know what Morgan would want, Kyle. Stop acting like you care because I know you don’t! You’re just like every other man I’ve dated. They tell me things and get under my skin, brainwash me, then the next thing I know they’ve either cheated on me or I wake up alone the next morning. Stop acting like you care,” she hissed.
“Lydia….”
“Take this and leave, Kyle.” The sound of something little and metal hit the floor. “And to think I fell in love with you…. You know your way out.”
There was silence then footsteps. The door swung open then closed shut. Mom walked up the stairs silently and stopped in front of my door. I shut my eyes, pretending to be in a deep sleep. The door creaked open and she walked to my bed, sitting at the edge.
“It’s only you and me now,” she whispered and sniffled. She leaned over and kissed my cheek. “Morgan, someday you’re going to find a man who truly loves you and when you do you’ll know it. You’ll feel that instant connection. Don’t ever fall for a guy that takes you a while to realize you love them because there’s no real love like love at first sight. If it isn’t like that for you then that’s great but just know that true love can conquer all.”
I couldn’t fight the tear that escaped my closed eyes and slid down my cheek as I thought about my true love.
♠ ♠ ♠
Message in a Bottle: Chapter 21.