‹ Prequel: Cocky Brat

Where Are We Going?

Great . . . .Shit

Vanessa is cleaning up her apartment when the phone rings. She heads over and picks it up.
“Hello?”
“Yes, is this Vanessa Cueburt?”
“Yes it is, who may I ask is speaking?” she asks furrowing her eyebrows.
“I’m Nancy Grelin from Bowman Technologies, my employer Alexis Traven would like you to come in for an interview concerning a position in marketing we have.”
“Sure, when?”
“Next Thursday at two-thirty.”
“Great, where are you located.”
“Boston, Massachusetts.” Ness stands there frozen for a moment.
“You are aware that I’m in San Francisco?” she says just to make sure.
“Yes, and we’re willing to pay for your plane ticket and hotel expenses.”
“Yeah, okay.” Ness stutters, “So how does this work?”
“We’ll FedEx your plane ticket and itinerary.”
“Okay great.”

“But why do you want a job in Boston?” Joey asks at supper.
“I want a real job, something that will give me credential.” Vanessa persists, “And if one in Boston is the only one I could get then-“
“Yeah, but you do realize that’s across the country!”
“I know, I really need a real job, three in the morning radio jockey is not a real job.”
“Fine, I won’t hold you back.” Joey mumbles pathetically.
“It’s not like I got the job, just an interview.” She says smiling meekly.
“Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my mother would like us to go to a family dinner thing tomorrow.”

The next evening, Joey and Ness appear at the Armstrong’s doorstep. They had these family dinner things on the monthly basis. Joey leaned forward and rang the doorbell. Jakob opens the door and lets them in.
“What’s up?” Ness asks the seventeen year old casually.
“Nothing much.” He leans in to whisper in his brother’s ear, “I got laid!” Joey just laughs.
“Remember to play it safe.” He teases.

“What was that all about?” Ness asks as they head into the kitchen.
“He lost his V-chip.” He chuckles. Ness laughs lightly but they fall silent as they find Billie Joe and Adrienne finishing up making dinner.
“Hey you two.” Adie says as she goes to put a platter on the dinner table. They all sit down at the table and start to eat.

“So, Vanessa, how’s work?” Adie asks casually trying to pick up a conversation. She was really fond of Ness compared to Joey’s past girlfriends, most probably because she made him kick his smoking habit.
“Umm well I’m still working at the radio station,” she starts.
“Well like I said before, if you want a job Adeline always needs people.”
“Thanks but I got asked in for an interview in Boston.”
“Boston, wow.” Billie says stopping the constant motion of his hand leading to his mouth, “How’ll that work out if you get the job?”
“Well, I’d have to move there.” She says as Joey doesn’t look up from his plate. The whole table stays silent.
“What’s good about Boston anyway?” Jakob chirps up. No one replies.
“Well I would just work there until I can get something better back here.” Ness finally states.