When Silence Roars

I must be dreaming

I stood at the edge of the cliff and looked at the ocean below - the aquamarine mixed with sard and amethyst colours. The sun was setting and the colours of the sky blended with the colour of the ocean. A cool breeze encircled me. I closed my eyes and smiled to myself.

I opened my eyes and turned around and saw a boy walking towards me. He towered over me and captivated me with his eyes. He put his right index finger on my forehead and looked me deep in the eyes. He slowly pushed me and I fell backwards.

I wasn’t afraid. I noticed that I was floating downward and he stood on the cliff watching me. He slowly walked off the cliff and glided toward me. I floated downward to the sea in an upward position. He continued watching curiously. I stopped above the water with the boy facing me. Then, he created a bubble with his hands big enough to hold us both. Slowly, we went under water.

I could breathe! I couldn’t believe it – I could breathe under water! We saw fishing swimming by and the sand below us. We went back to the surface and glided back to the cliff.

He sat on a rock and looked at me.“Do you know what you are?”

looked at him confused.

“You’re a flitra (flee-tra) like me.”

“A what?” I asked him. I was really confused.

“A flitra – someone who has the ability to fly.”

I looked at him and thought about what he said. “Right.” It didn’t seem to be something that I could have the ability to do. Sure, when you were younger you believed that you could fly – or at least try – but I’m older now and that sounds like shenanigans. “This is a dream, so of course this isn’t real.” I put my hands on my hips in confidence.

“It might very well be real.” He chuckled lightly at me.

“Who are you anyway?

He gave a small smile and stood. “I’m sorry but I have to leave now."

“Wait.”

“You’ll find out soon.” He then walked away and then disappeared.

Image

I woke up and rubbed my temples. That was quite a weird dream I had. I turned and looked at the clock on my night table. “8:23 AM!” I shrieked. “I have to be at school in the next seven minutes!”

I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom. I took a quick shower. I dried myself and then ran into my room. I applied lotion to my skin, put on my underwear, and applied deodorant. I put on my uniform hurriedly and quickly looked through my drawer for a pair of navy blue socks and put them on when I found them. I glanced at my clock and I hurried faster when I saw that it was 8:31 AM. I threw the books that I would need for the day in my bag and put on my flats and ran downstairs. I walked into the kitchen looking for something to eat and saw a plate with pancakes. I hurriedly ate the pancakes and drank a glass of milk.

I was already late and decided to ride my bicycle to school. I ran to the garage and jumped on my bicycle and rode as fast as I could to school. I almost got hit by a car when I turned the last corner. I arrived at school and rode the parking lot. Because I was in such a hurry I hadn’t noticed a rock in my path. The front wheel of my bicycle bumped into the rock and I found myself flying in the air. I landed right on a very soft part of my body.

“Ow,” I whined rubbing my bottom.

I got up and started running toward the little red bridge. I hoped Miss Osaka hadn’t called my name yet. I was so darn late. I tried my best to run up the two flights of stairs. I finally got to the top and started running down the hallway. I heard Miss Osaka calling my name and I panicked. I ran faster and faster. Before she finished calling the name after mine I dived into the classroom almost breathless.

“I’m…here.” I said panting heavily. The cold tile on the floor was such a comfort.

Miss Osaka looked at me sternly. The class quieted down when she said my name – more like growled.

“Sayuri, you’re a mess. Get off the ground now.”

I got up and lowered my head while she continued to speak. “Your hair is a mess, your shirt is not tucked in properly, your skirt has dirt on it, and your socks and shoes are covered in mud. My goodness, must I go further?” She got up from her desk and stomped toward me.

“Someone got up on the wrong side of bed this morning.” Ujiteru laughed. Miss Osaka ignored him and continued to speak to me.

“Go and get yourself cleaned Sayuri. If you’re going to be late for my class at least look descent doing so.”

I sighed and walked out of the classroom. I had to walk down two flights of stairs just to get to the bathroom.

When I got to the bathroom I cringed at the way I looked. I had completely forgotten that I hadn’t combed my hair. It was all over the place and had splashes of dirt in it. I rummaged through my bag looking for a comb, but to no avail. Instead, I decided to use an unused fork I had found. It worked quite well and I left my hair out.

I quickly cleaned the dirt off of my skirt and mud off my shoes and socks with a damp paper towel. I was pleased with myself when I was finished. I looked descent enough to walk around without being stared at.

I went back to class and hurriedly sat at the back. I looked at the clock and saw that there were only fifteen minutes left for language class. I sighed taking out my notebook and I quickly wrote the homework down.

The bell rang for another class to begin and I hoisted my bag on my shoulder. Before I walked out of the room someone tapped me on the shoulder.

“I’ll lend you my notebook to write the notes,” a boy with turquoise eyes said.

I looked at the notebook he was giving to me. It had birds and multiple colours he had etched on it. This boy was artistic.

“Thanks,” I said taking his notebook.

“You’re welcome. I’m Takaya. I’ll see you around then.” He gave me a wave and left the classroom.

As I was walking in the hallway to math class I wondered why this student had given me his book. I guess he felt sorry for me.

Before I could comprehend what was going on I was whisked away to an empty room.

“What happened to you this morning Sayuri?” Ujiteru smirked.

“Isn’t it obvious?” I wasn’t in the mood for foolishness from this child.

“I see you still have that smart mouth. Anyway, about the science homework, Mr. Unaku told me to do it over. What I did according to him was “absolute foolishness.” I’m not going to harm you or anything. I’m still surprised you pulled that stunt on me.”

Ujiteru seemed normal for a moment. Am I still dreaming? “I’m quite surprised Mr. Unaku told you to do it over and I’m quite surprised you’re not assaulting me.” This was something big. Ujiteru of all people. “Are you really Ujiteru? Because the Ujiteru I know would be doing some harm right about now.”

He looked at me bewildered. “It’s me. I’m just not in the mood right now.” He looked away for a moment and looked back at me sceptically. “I saw you talking to the new guy.”

“So?” I snorted. “Are you jealous?” I teased.

He scoffed, “Why would I be?”

“I don’t know Ujiteru.” I said bored. “We have to go to class before we get in trouble.”

He looked at his watch and leaned off the desk. Before he moved to the door he surveyed me. What could he possibly be doing now? Ah, I bet he’s going to give up the act and do something to hurt me. What he did next was a shock to me. He gently brushed back a stray strand of my hair and tucked it behind my ear. He smiled to himself and walked toward the door.

“Ladies first,” he said holding the door.

I looked at him sceptically and walked out the door. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” He took my arm and put it in his and together we walked to class. “Are you sure you’re Ujiteru Hojou.”

He looked at me and smirked, “I’m sure, Sayuri.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry for not updating in a while. University is a big stress, trust me. I hope you like this chapter and please leave comments! I'd really appreciate it. Ask any questions you want; I'll try best to answer them. If there are any mistakes please tell me.Thanks for reading.

Keep smiling and rock on!