Forever Connected

Chapter 4

Walking up the stairs, Jordan made her way to her bedroom, but as she was about to open the door, she heard the house phone start to go off. Groaning, she opened the door to the empty bedroom and walked to where the cordless phone was on Patrick's bedside table, but when she got to it, it stopped ringing.

Jordan had just entered her fourth month of pregnancy and although her morning sickness was starting to slowly go away, it wasn't enough so that she felt comfortable traveling with the team on their four game roadtrip. Laying down on Patrick's side of the bed, she inhaled his scent. It was the first time in a long time that Jordan could remember having the house completely to herself. With Patrick on the road and Damon spending the night at his cousins house, Jordan was alone. Feeling her eyes getting heavy, she started to close her eyes. Right when she had gotten into a comfortable sleep, the phone started to ring again.

Blindly reaching towards the bedside table, she grabbed the phone and answered it after taking a glance at who was calling. “This had better be good, because otherwise, when you get home you will be sleeping on the couch.”

“You sound tired.”

“No shit,” Jordan responded. “Damon was a pain yesterday when I was tired from work and yes I still work when you boys are gone. And then I got sick and I'm trying to take a nap with Shooter, but you called.”

“Where's Damon?”

“At his cousin's for a sleepover. Emmy saw how tired I was and offered and Damon couldn't wait to go. This is the first time since we got married that I've had the house to myself.”

“No parties.”

“No stealing Jon's bag.”

“What about Kaner's?”

“Go for it,” Jordan laughed. “When are you gonna be home?”

“Tomorrow night,” Patrick sighed into the phone. “Think Emmy can watch Damon for an extra night?”

“Shouldn't you be getting your pre-game nap in?”

“I will as soon as I finish talking to you,” Patrick said. “How's the baby?”

“The baby is fine,” Jordan smiled. “Actually the baby wants something from daddy.”

“Yeah? What's that?”

“Baby wants daddy to get to his nap so that he can be fully rested and ready to play tonight.”

“Did you have your doctor's appointment today?” Patrick asked ignoring her question. “What happened with that?”

“Patrick,” Jordan laughed. “You are avoiding taking your nap and causing me to lose sleep on mine. The appointment was yesterday, Damon came with me. He was good for the most part and everything looks good. Gaining weight and all that good stuff that comes with being pregnant.”

“I don't like being away from you when you're pregnant.”

“Well get used to it, because you still have a good portion of the season to go and there will be a time when I can't fly with the team and I'll not only have Damon, but baby Sharp as well.”

“That is still months away,” Patrick said. “Five or six months until our baby gets here, but you can still travel.”

“I can travel by bus, when my due date is near, but not by air,” Jordan told him as she let out a loud sigh. “Patrick, I love you.”

“I love you too Jordan,” Patrick said. “Get some sleep. I'll call you when I get to the arena. Oh Tazer wants to know if he's taking Damon when we get back.”

“Tell him no. Now go and get some sleep. Good luck tonight.”

“Thanks,” Patrick said. “I love you.”

“I love you, too.” Jordan said hanging up the phone.

That was one thing she loved about Patrick when he was on a roadtrip, he refused to hang up first. Tossing the phone onto the other pillow, Jordan closed her eyes letting sleep take over her tired body.

When Jordan had first suspected that she was pregnant, she had tried her hardest not to get too excited before she could actually find out. But when she finally did find out for sure, she was a little worried because of her past miscarriages, but after talking to the doctor she felt a little better. When she finally told Patrick, she was so happy to see that spark back in his eyes. After her last miscarriage, Jordan had seen Patrick put on a brave face around Damon and the team, but when it was just the two of them, she saw how he wished they were going to have a baby of their own. Damon was so unsure if he wanted a baby sister or a baby brother, but he was excited that he was going to get to be the big brother. What she wasn't sure how Damon would react when he had to stay with his dad for two days since he had never done so before.

Waking up an hour after going to bed that night after the Blackhawks had won their game, Jordan started to feel around for the object that had woken her from her sleep. Finally finding it, she opened it and placed it to her ear. “Hello?”

“Jordan? Did I wake you?”

“Yeah,” Jordan mumbled. “I went to bed after Patrick's game.”

“You need to come and get Damon, he's having nightmares that you are going to forget about him. I would drive him over, but I've got both other boys sleeping.”

“Okay,” Jordan said. “I'll throw on some sweats and a jacket and I'll be over.”

“I'm sorry Jordan,” Emmy said. “I know you were looking forward to having the house to yourself.”

“Don't worry about it,” Jordan said as she reached over and tapped the light and letting her eyes adjust. “I'll be there soon.”

“Are you going to be okay to drive?”

“Yeah,” Jordan sighed. “I'm gonna put some clothes on and be right there.”

“Okay, bye,” Emmy said. “Be safe Jordan.”

“Bye.”

Hanging up her cell phone, Jordan tossed the covers off before making her way over to the door and flipping the switch to light the entire bedroom. After her tired eyes adjusted to the light, Jordan walked over to her husband's dresser and pulled open the bottom drawer. Grabbing a pair of sweatpants, she pulled them on before grabbing the sweatshirt with the Blackhawks logo on it that she had taken from his closet earlier in the night. Slipping on her ugg boots, she grabbed her cell phone before turning out the main light, but leaving the light from the nightstand on, she headed downstairs. Grabbing her purse and keys Jordan unlocked the front door and walked outside. Turning around, she locked the door before gasping in surprise.

“What are you doing here?” Jordan asked as she threw her arms around Patrick's tired body. “I thought you wouldn't get in until the afternoon.”

“Everyone wanted to leave early, so we did,” Patrick told her as he put his hand on his wife's stomach as he stole a kiss. “Where are you going?”

“Emmy's place. Damon is having bad dreams of me leaving him so I'm going to pick him up and bring him back home. I was gonna let him share the big bed with me, but I might just save the bed for me,” Jordan giggled. “Oh god, Patrick, I've missed you.”

“I missed you, too,” Patrick said as he took the car keys from her. “I'll drive.”

“No,” Jordan said opening her hand so he could give her the keys back. “I've had a nap and I fell asleep earlier. You can either go inside the house or you can get in the passenger's seat.”

Handing the keys back over to his wife, Patrick leaned in and kissed her again before taking her arm in his and helping her down the stairs and to the car. After she was in the car, he looked at her and smiled. “I'm gonna put my bag in the house real quick. Give me a second, okay?”

Nodding her head, he grabbed the spare keys from her purse before taking his hockey bag and luggage into the house. After locking the house back up, he got into the car and Jordan started the drive to pick up her son. “Do you guys have practice in the morning or afternoon?”

“Not sure,” Patrick said. “Q didn't say. I'm sure we'll get a text one way or another. Do you have work?”

“Yeah,” Jordan said as she stopped at the red light. “We are setting up the massage table for the visiting teams.”

“As long as you aren't lifting.”

“No, I'm doing what Adam does. Sitting on my butt and directing where things are to go.”

The rest of the drive was spent in silence and soon enough Jordan pulled up in front of Emmy's house. “Are you coming inside or staying in the car?” Jordan asked.

Patrick gave her a look as if there was a second option. Shoving her purse under the seat, Jordan cut the engine and placed her phone and keys into the pockets of Patrick's hoodie that she borrowed. Closing the doors, she walked around to where Patrick was waiting for her. Lacing their fingers together, Patrick and Jordan walked up to the front door. Knocking on it lightly, Jordan heard the locks turning and then it opened.

“He's in the living room Jordan,” Emmy said before she noticed Patrick. “Welcome home Patrick.”

“Thanks,” he laughed as they walked into the house. “It was a long trip home.”

“I can imagine.” Emmy said.

“See, look, dad is home. So can he carry you to the car?” Jordan asked her son.

“No, I want you Mommy.” Damon said as he wrapped his arms around his mother's neck.

Lifting him up, Jordan motioned for Patrick to grab his overnight bag as she handed him the keys to the car. “Can you tell Aunt Emmy thank you for having you over and that you love her?”

“Love you.” Damon said as his eyes grew heavy and he laid his head down on his mother's shoulder.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little short, but it's an update. :)
Let me know what you think!!