Where Boys Fear to Tread

Only Ones Who Know.

We are, by some luck, the only ones who know what happened. Of course there were others involved but they don't worry us, too far, too scared to come close. Because we know. Damaged.

Conor had walked in on something he would rather he hadn't. No, Jasper wouldnt let anything happen, he was too fragile. That's what Conor told himself. Jasper would be too fragile for too long, and he will always need the help of his brother. With a look to his brother, confused but ready, they knew that Alex needed to know at least some of the story. Just an explanation of what Alex would have to see when he was with Jasper.

Within seconds Conor had pulled out the kitchen chairs and motioned the two to sit, Alex looked at Conor. "Is it that bad I need to sit?"

"You never know," Was Conors reply.
Jasper and Conor sat together on one side of the round table. Alex close, but facing them, a third wheel in the twins world.

"Alex, you've put up with whatever has happened in this house as well as when your with us. You must have noticed something other than the usual," He said with a smile to lighten the tense mood.

Alex responded with a quick smile, "Yeah, a little." His eyes came back into focus, serious and fixed on Jasper, who in turn looked at his lap.

"Uhh, when we were little some stuff happened, really bad stuff. Jasper couldn't really deal, so now the head doctors tell us he has Dissociative identity disorder, which in people terms means he has other people in his head." This was the pre-written story that Conor had in his head that he would tell people, no more, no less. Usually.

The look on Alex's face was expected, but the reaction wasn't. "I sometimes have people talk in my head too, It's no big deal Jasper." His smile covering the fact that he was nervous, he hoped what Jasper has wasn't that bad.

Conor frowned, maybe he wouldn't understand, not ready like Jasper. He should leave and come back when he's ready. No, his brother needed it.

"Not like that Alex, these people come out, take over Jaspers body." He'd never used words like that, it sounded somehow wrong, he regretted saying it in front of his brother.

"Oh Jasper, I am so sorry," Alex turned his eyes turned down, forhead creased in thought. "Are the doctors helping?" It was aimed at Jasper.

"Maybe, I don't like them, Conor helps," He muttered, embarrassed by his secret being shared, he was picking at the flaking paint on the kitchen table, he rolled it into balls. His head snapped up, "Please don't tell anyone."

A missed beat of his heart and Conor realised he hadn't told Alex that this was strictly their business. He did trust Alex but he needed his word. Something that Conor would insist on, this information couldn't get around school, not with those kids. Crazy shit would happen. Again, normal words sounding wrong when they left your mouth.

Jasper didn't seem to notice, he was waiting for Alex to reply.

"Never." Was all he said, he didn't need to say more, but the look on his face showed a confusion, still in thought. "I want to be able to help as much as I can Jasper, I wouldn't hurt you. Thankyou so much for telling me, it means a lot," He looked at his watch and sighed. "Go get ready for school guys, I'll wait here." He motioned them out with his hands.

"Shit," Conor groaned, opening the door to their bedroom. "Was that good or bad?"

"I don't really know, we'll see if he doesn't come back like the others." A dissapointed smile dimpled his cheeks. They started packing their bags with school supplies, books and pens. A ruler and later some food.

Conor always hated the fact it had happened to his brother not to him, to have this problem, he would take over in a heartbeat.